spc
uniqs
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25 to tshirt

to tshirt

Re: tell John McCain I want...

LOL, are you actually implying that CATV industry received absolutely no financial benefits to be built?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Actually the CATV companies pay out for right of way, pole rental, franchise fees, permits, taxes, and often provide public access studios production assistance and many other public benefits for "free" while receive no public funds. I think you'd find the vast majority of money moved to the gov't or purpose defined by them, if you opened your eyes.

If you mean financial benefit like stable legal protection from cable theft and non paying persons (hard to call them customers) and a favorable business climate (compared to say cuba or the USSR) then yes but that would apply to every company that has ever done business in the US.
Are you suggest the gov't should seize and control them all?
or just the ones YOU don't like?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Their entire system was started and built on the backs of tax payers and consumers who got to pay their inflated (and government protected) prices guaranteeing them their rate of return. Which is still pretty much in existence today because of the extremely high barrier of entry.

So if you open your eyes you will see that you can't pull the wool over mine.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

2 edits

tshirt

Premium Member

There were no such guarantee anywhere I've been or heard of, in most cases they were forced to payout all sorts of fees just to get in the door and rates there highly regulated. local broadcasters tried to keep them out or limit them to poor reception areas.
remember these weren't the big companies we see today but mostly mom and pop put up one antenna tower to serve a small community companies as they got bigger they eventually went to large town and cities BECAUSE some people wanted undergrounded utilities/ NO rooftop antennas, then continuous consolidation and specialty content like HBO didn't come until much later on late 60's and 70's
However what you describe is not gov't funding and nobody was force by gov't to subscribe, some communities/ developers did try and require it as part of the CC&Rs for THEIR developments.
Most people got cable as a convenience and almost nobody sees the giant conspiracy you apparently believe developed in to CATV as we know it today.