how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mrpringle

join:2013-07-25
Brooklyn, NY

Mbps drops if I use my router.

Hey. I just got ultra 50 for $4.95. My down speeds are around 10-20mbps, which is about the same as w/o boost, when I use my router. If I connect my computer directly to the modem my down speeds @ 55mbps as advertised. I use an old netgear wgr614v9 10/100Mbps router. I can't seem to get at least 75% of advertised speeds with it. Should I just get a new router? I am looking @ netgear n750. Any suggestions?

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
i wouldnt get a netgear, asus seem to be making really well performing routers that everyone like, i use a d link but im looking at asus for my next purchase

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to mrpringle
wgr614v9 is a wireless G router

Defiantly pick up a new router. A N router. I like the Asus routers or the Apple AirPort Extreme
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

manutd107

@optonline.net
I also got a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem today in the mail (Arris TM820) after upgrading to Boost. After installing and activating the modem, I noticed through my wifi connection, my download speed was still 20 mbps, but upload speed increased to 20 mbps. When I plugged my modem directly into my pc via ethernet, I got 58 mbps for download. So I know my wireless router is the problem. I have a Netgear WNR2000 N-Router, probably a little over 2 years old. Should I purchase a new router, or is there something with the setting on my router that I can play around with?

max pl

join:2009-03-22
Hyde Park, NY
reply to mrpringle
does your router have N mode enabled?

is N enabled on your computers wireless card?

otherwise, i do think your router should be able to handle the speed so its likely a settings issue.

mrpringle

Brooklyn, NY
reply to mrpringle
My router is not a N model. I do not really want to buy a new router and still have the same speeds w/ ethernet. I tried changing the settings in the router manager. Nothing seem to work. I've done some research on a few Asus routers they got pretty good rating. So many to choose from and can't decide which one to settle with.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to mrpringle
Do you have QoS enabled on the router?

mrpringle

Brooklyn, NY
I tried disabling WMM and even changed MTU size. I am unsure if my router supports QoS feature.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
I believe WMM should be enabled.

dtremain

join:2007-02-15
Florham Park, NJ
reply to mrpringle
I have the same situation with my Netgear WNR2000 v3 router. The computer that is hardwired to the router is getting excellent speed, about 60 down and about 30 up. But, the same model laptop, connected through wifi, is only getting in the 30's down. My other devices, iPad, phones, etc., are all getting speeds in the 20's.

The two laptops both have n, as does the router. QoS is turned off. WMM is turned on. Everything is set to their defaults.

Booost

@optonline.net
reply to mrpringle
said by mrpringle:

I use an old netgear wgr614v9 10/100Mbps router.

I get 95/35 with my Netgear WGR614V10. Maybe you should check for a firmware update?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to mrpringle
said by Booost :

said by mrpringle:

I get 95/35 with my Netgear WGR614V10. Maybe you should check for a firmware update?

It's not possible with a wireless G connection, which is what the router supports. It will cap around the 25 Mbps like he was seeing. It can get you close with a wired connection though.

edit: quoted wrong post, fixed.

Booost

@optonline.net
said by frdrizzt:

said by Booost :

said by mrpringle:

It's not possible with a wireless G connection, which is what the router supports.

Sorry, I should have clarified that my 95/35 with my Netgear WGR614V10 was via a wired connection.

With wireless, I get a faster connection with a 'g' connection than with an 'n' connection.

mrpringle

Brooklyn, NY
reply to mrpringle
Got a new router and problem solved! Thanks for the help guys.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
What kind? I'm having the same issue.

mrpringle

Brooklyn, NY
said by dtremain:

What kind? I'm having the same issue.

my budget was $100 so i just went with the Asus rt-n56u.

dtremain

Florham Park, NJ
Thank you. That would be about my budget as well.