how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DTK

@rr.com

[DIRECTV] Technical / Installation info for DirecTV Internet

Hello folks,

I'm trying to help my mother upgrade her internet service from dial up - finally! She lives in a more rural area so options are limited, and currently has DirecTV video service.

I'm trying to find out some more technical / installation related information for her and was hoping someone here might be able to help. Typical speeds vs. advertised, installation process/requirements, equipment etc.

Not really interested in hearing from customer service or sales people, looking more for technicians or others who can give more of a technical perspective.

I spent years in the CATV business and have had a decent amount of exposure to DBS systems as well, so I can talk shop (to some degree).

Any insights you can provide would be appreciated!

DTK

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·Optimum Online
DirecTV does not provide internet services.
In some markets they have joint promotion agreements with 'copper' telephone/internet service providers (Verizon).

I'd suggest you look here at WildBlue or HughesNet - the posts can give you ideas of people's experiences.
--
Ad astra per alas porci!!

westdc

join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA
kudos:1
reply to DTK
I would suggest you also look at 3g or 4g Service (Cell Modem) It's capped but not as capped as the above service's mentioned. If she is on dial-up then I would thing going the cell route would be enough (usage for her) You might even be able to add it to your cel plan for a bigger discount.

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
reply to DTK
You may also want to explore if there are any WISPs in her area. Put a small plate antenna on the side of the house and wammo-blammo.