chachster
Premium
join:2002-08-07
Westerville, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Time Warner Cable

Free HD box about to become pay per month

As part of my initial package I was given a HD DVR free for the first 12 months.

I was wondering if anyone has been successful in getting this extended for another year or if I should save my time and take the box back to the local office.

I actually use this for a standard TV so the HD and DVR are not important to me as I run Media Center. It is nice to have to make sure there isn't something that is on my end and is a WOW issue for troubleshooting, but that's not worth $13/mo for this box.

Just looking if anyone else had the free then got it extended or not. If I need to call that's fine, just looking for personal experience.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
I only have WOW for internet/phone, but I did get them to waive the standard HD stb fee for my mom. It doesn't hurt to ask. I've found that WOW is pretty easy to work with when it comes to extending promos. If they won't extend the free HD DVR for another 12 months and since HD and DVR functions aren't important to you, why not ask them for a free SD receiver instead? I'm sure they would agree to that for 12 months and it should be good enough to see how the service is working.

grantsa4

join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL
reply to chachster
Try call and ask. Tell them you really ejnjoy having the guide and on demand type thing and you can't afford the extra $13...etc.

If you have been paying your bill on time, they seem to be pretty good with taking care of their customers.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
reply to chachster
Packages actually do include one standard, non-HD, non-DVR box for free, since one box is necessary for viewing of the higher package content.

chachster
Premium
join:2002-08-07
Westerville, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Time Warner Cable
said by sgc:

Packages actually do include one standard, non-HD, non-DVR box for free, since one box is necessary for viewing of the higher package content.

Good point... even if I have to swap it out for a non-HD, non-DVR model and still be able to have the on-demand, etc.

I'll give them a call and see what they said. Seems worth my time. Thanks for the responses so far.

bw1

@wideopenwest.com
reply to sgc
said by sgc:

I thought the same a couple of years ago and remembered that it was in some of their docs at one time but was not able to find it. If you know where it states this, let us know.

I have a standard digital box, that is showing a charge of $7/mo. and a credit for the same amount.

When it expired previously, I went to return it at the local office and they said they could renew the credit there.
It's frustrating though that I have to renew the credit every year.

I also called and asked about getting a free HD box (non-DVR), since it's the same price, and they said no.

I also asked at the local office and they couldn't do it there either.

However, I think you should be able to renew whatever existing discount you have when you call.

I just did that for my bundle discount.

adam1991

join:2012-06-16
Columbus, OH
reply to sgc
said by sgc:

Used to. Seems to me they stopped that.

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
reply to chachster
Click for full size
Bundle
Notice the $100/month charge, or $107 with HD. That includes the first box. The first SD box is free, but if you want an HD box, then it is $107.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
I can confirm that adam1991 is correct. I called WOW earlier this year about adding tv service to my package. While the sd receiver is free with the sd package. You don't get it for free when you go with a hd package. You pay $7 more and only get a hd reciever when you go hd. If you want a sd receiver, then that would be another $7 charge.

Off course I bet they would waive the fee if you talk to a csr about it.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vestalink
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

2 edits
reply to chachster
A few months back I went down to my local WOW office and swapped out one of our three non-DVR HD boxes for a SD box and reduced my bill by $7 (shows up on my bill as a $7 charge for "Digital Receiver" then a $7 "Free Digital Receiver until 2015" credit).

A few months back (early November of last year or so) my Digital Basic + 15/2 internet bundle went up from $85 to $90 and my $10 credit dropped off. The bill went up to $111.34 for 15/2 internet and Digital Basic with 3 boxes (2 HD, 1 SD).

I called last weekend and got a $15 discount for one year to bring the bill down to $95.95. I also asked the rep to see if I could get any retroactive credit since my discount dropped off a few month ago. The rep gave a $20 credit... I probably should have pushed for a bigger credit, but I'm just happy that I got my bill down without too much muss and fuss.

I didn't bother calling in during those few months (November of last year till around March of this year) when WOW's switched over to the new billing system and pooched their phone-based customer service... I just didn't feel like wasting 40+ minutes on hold .

So I guess I'll stay with WOW for another year or so... haven't had too many issues with pixelation, freezing and outages lately. And my internet seems OK... I think I can trust it enough to go forward with my plans to ditch my AT&T landline and go with a VoIP service (Callcentric with an Obi110 device).

EDIT: Correction- I think my bundle price increased back around March of this year, not November as stated above. (Edit 2: Clarified that it increased March of *this* year).