spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Criticals

join:2010-05-30

World of Warcraft down to 7.7 million

"World of Warcraft has lost 700,000 players in the last three months, with the MMO now down to 7.7 million active subscribers. Activision Blizzard reported that 8.2 million people were subscribed to World of Warcraft in March, with CEO Bobby Kotick saying that the company expects to see the number fall further throughout the year. The decline in World of Warcraft players numbers has been previously attributed mainly to Eastern markets, although Activision did not comment specifically on this latest subscriber decline. Activision adds that World of Warcraft remains the most popular subscription-based MMO in the world. Subscribers for the game peaked at over 12 million in October 2010. The gargantuan MMO was originally released in 2004, and has subsequently released four expansion packs: Burning Crusade, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and Mists of Pandaria. A World of Warcraft movie will begin filming in 2014. World of Warcraft's latest player numbers arrive as Activision Blizzard announces it has spent $5.83 billion on company shares to secure its independence from parent company Vivendi."

- Gamespot.com

»www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-w···-6412086

cat666

join:2013-04-26
In my opinion the drop is down to a severe lack in things to do, speaking from a purely casual perspective of course.

Mists of Pandaria started off well, 5.1 added some pretty cool content which kept me busy for a month before I carried on with the 5.0 stuff. 5.2 was also fairly awesome, the story took a while to unfold and the new raiding tier, albeit LFR, was fairly entertaining. This issues have come since then.

5.3 was awful in almost every single way. The story took me 3-4 hours and once I'd done the weekly twice for the pet / brawlers guild fight there was zero reason to carry on. I only continued to do ToT LFR for Wrathion, otherwise I'd have stopped.

The boredom issue is partly down to being on a dead server. If there was a chance to PUG some normals, it would interest me a bit more, but as it stands I don't have that as an option. Hopefully Virtual Realms and Flex raiding will hold interest for a bit in 5.4

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Criticals
Warcraft is dying, warcraft is dying. Same old song.

As dead as it is there still isn't anything bigger. This is the reality of life, things get old and die. Since Blizzard rebooted Titan it may be a while before there is something that can compete with it, but rumors are they rebooted to make Titan free to play.

Criticals

reply to cat666
said by cat666:

The boredom issue is partly down to being on a dead server. If there was a chance to PUG some normals, it would interest me a bit more, but as it stands I don't have that as an option. Hopefully Virtual Realms and Flex raiding will hold interest for a bit in 5.4

This was a huge problem for me that has been remedied by OQ. Since getting that addon ive been farming the warbringers for rep. Even done a few raids on horde citys. Sometimes, i do Oondasta just for kicks when i see one come up. Every week something different is going on with OQ. Its also great for clearing old content. Tuesdays you can do Uld 25 ICC 25 and a few BC raids with ease.

Yesterday I even had a chance to take a crack at a few Heroic Toes 10 man attempts. We didnt get the first boss down because some people had to leave but we got him to like 15%.

Criticals

reply to Kilroy
I think Titans biggest competitor will be Bungies project Destiny. Considering they are both MMOFPS. Destiny is supposed to be a 10 year project over the course of three games and mutliple expansions.

I think traditional MMO wise Wildstar is their biggest competiton on the horizon. I see the things Wildstar is doing and it looks right up WoWs alley. Also they have said multiple times they have no problem developing their best content for the top 1% of players that choose to pursue and they seem pretty adament about not nerfing old content so that a new player will have 60 relevant raid bosses available as apposed to just the 12 most recent.

cat666

reply to Criticals
I use Oqueue, but the raids are usually either shouting for heals or tanks, are mid-way through or shouting for 2 heals, 2 tanks and 5 DPS and have been for a good 30 mins.

I just need a more active guild.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
kudos:5
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

a severe lack in things to do, speaking from a purely casual perspective of course.

This boggles my mind. My feelings are on the other end of the spectrum. To me there are SO many things to do, most of which I'm not getting the time to.

The big difference for me though is that I'm an altoholic and am maintaining a number of different 90s.
--
Absolution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 3/12 ToT
Pride and Ego -- 6/6 MSV 1/6H, 6/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 3/12 ToT

Criticals

I too have found after coming back, maybe because playing a different class, but there is TONS of things to do. Farming rares, warbringers, brawlers guild is fun, heroic scenerio daily, and things like challenge modes really raise the ceiling.

The problem IMO is LFR and the gap it is creating from normals. Hopefully Flex raids + Server Merging will revive raiding as a whole. I know my current guild will benefit greatly from a server merge.

cat666

reply to Carpie
I've done so much in my time in WoW. I have 7 90's, 1 85, and the remaining 3 classes at 15-20. There's only so much running through the same content you can do before you get bored.

As much as I enjoy the "raiding" experience of LFR it seriously isn't a fun thing to do all the time. As such I struggle to see the point in gearing an alt just to force myself to do something I dislike.

I collect cheevo's, I literally have 13k+ cheevo points, and the ones I still need I just can't face in this mindset. I've done Pet Battling up to the Beasts of Fable, but again how long can you do one activity before it gets a bit old. I have all professions maxed except 2, which my current levelling toon is working on. All reps are exalted, except the Firelands one, the pvp ones, and the ones for the Insane (I have one of the goblin ones). I do work on Firelands rep if there is a oqueue group going. I can't face pvp without a partner, and dont really enjoy it anyways. I have Loremaster, I have Long Strange Trip, I have collected pets from older raids.

I'm just in one of those ruts, I'll be out of it come 5.4 and will get the mage to 90 and knock off a few more pet battles.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
I don't gear alts for LFR... I gear alts through LFR so that if the time comes that I want to help out a pug raid, I can do so in any role.
--
Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Carpie

united state
reply to cat666
What about Brawler's guild, mount hunting, xmogging? Any interest in those?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Carpie:

What about Brawler's guild, mount hunting, xmogging? Any interest in those?

sounds like he should stop playing for a few months.
--

cat666

reply to Criticals
said by Criticals:

The problem IMO is LFR and the gap it is creating from normals. Hopefully Flex raids + Server Merging will revive raiding as a whole. I know my current guild will benefit greatly from a server merge.

As much as I'd like to say it is, LFR isn't to blame. I believe we've argued it before but people who are soley doing LFR wouldn't be raiding normally if LFR ceased to exist, they'd just do heroic dungeons or unsubscribe.

The problem is 100% dead servers. Back at the end of WotLK trade chat was full of people PUGing ICC, I didn't raid but if I was about I'd jump at the chance, made some new friends and improve my game and my gear. Just before Firelands was released my server suffered a huge loss of players and guilds, who moved to raid with better people. The result was less PUGs and less for a casual player to do. I've not seen a trade shout for a ToT PUG.

Like you say Flex/Virtual Servers should solve the issues. Certainly I'm going to try for Flex via oqueue to start with, and maybe cozy up to another guild on our virtual realm. More players = more raids = more pugs.

cat666

reply to Carpie
Rank 6 in brawlers guild, hunted mounts for years and I have every tier set plus some snazzy weapons up to tier 10 (minus the tier 2 shoulders which I do weekly).

cat666

reply to Immer
said by Immer:

sounds like he should stop playing for a few months.

You are right, I should.

The trouble is I feel I have to do LFR weekly to be on track with the legendary. As I'm paying for the time, I do the pet/mount/tier farm, then hit a wall.

I've been spending a lot of time on some retro games. Tomb Raider 3 and Bully mainly.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

The problem is 100% dead servers.

this is the biggest problem. At some point, you have to decide if enjoying the game is worth the $25/toon to change servers, or if you should just suspend your account and move on.
--

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Carpie
I'm with you Carpie See Profile, there are two tons of things to do, if you only look. I'm working on my final 90, with 21 level 90 toons currently, my last one is at 70 right now. All 21 level 90 toons are heroic dungeon geared, at least. Right now I'm farming rep, literally, and running dungeons on the weekend.

My personal guild, Hardcore Casual, just dinged level 14 and I'm getting about 1/5 of a bar on it every week doing dailies and leveling my final toon.

I haven't even scrached the surface of pet battles, raiding, PvP, and much more.
--
"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." - Robert A. Heinlein

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
anyone who says "there's nothing to do" is intentionally leaving off "that I like" on the end. It's not that there isn't anything to do... it's that they refuse to do what is there (for one reason or another) and then complain. Its why its good to clear out the kids toy room from time to time... leaving the game is like clearing out the toy room.
--

cat666

said by Immer:

anyone who says "there's nothing to do" is intentionally leaving off "that I like" on the end. It's not that there isn't anything to do... it's that they refuse to do what is there (for one reason or another) and then complain. Its why its good to clear out the kids toy room from time to time... leaving the game is like clearing out the toy room.

This. Totally.

Vinceruos

join:2011-05-04
Dumfries, VA
reply to Criticals
Hey Criticals, can you link where it was officially stated that Titan will be an MMOFPS? Thanks

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Criticals
Activision / Blizzard stock is up a lot today. Vivendi is selling it's controlling interest via a buy back program. »dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/07/26/···di/?_r=0

The company is doing well. Regardless of WoW subscriber attrition, it appears WoW is profitable.

I believe Blizzard could virtually freeze all development on WoW and the game will run more than a decade at $15 per month per subscriber.

All they need to do is announce a new raid tier every year or so, and committed players will work for their prize. Add a new mount or two, and everyone is happy.
--
Congress could mess up a one piece jigsaw puzzle.

cat666

said by pandora:

Activision / Blizzard stock is up a lot today. Vivendi is selling it's controlling interest via a buy back program. »dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/07/26/···di/?_r=0

The company is doing well. Regardless of WoW subscriber attrition, it appears WoW is profitable.

I believe Blizzard could virtually freeze all development on WoW and the game will run more than a decade at $15 per month per subscriber.

All they need to do is announce a new raid tier every year or so, and committed players will work for their prize. Add a new mount or two, and everyone is happy.

They need regular updates or people soon lose interest. Personally I think an update every 3 months is ideal, first one story/quest driven, second raid tier, then back to story/quest etc.

Whilst people do come back for expansions/raid tiers Blizz need to keep interest and subs in between. The subs model is dated, and it isn't valid in the current climate as RIFT and SWTOR have shown. Blizz are bucking the trend and defying the economy by continuing to make the subs model not only viable, but profitable.

WoW isn't going to go anywhere for a good while yet. 7.7mil is still a lot of players and a number other MMO's can only dream of. I'm from the UK where a subs is £9. 9*7.7 = £69.3 million revenue every month. This is before we pay for expansions, server transfers, and digital pets. The subs isn't the same around the world, but it's still a hefty sum they are pulling in which they are not going to let go of easily.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
I did think about how often Blizzard HAD to update it's tiers, and every 3 or 6 months may not be necessary to many players provided getting the gear is very difficult. It's about managing supply and demand.

As to active subscribers, I believe Blizzard is counting worldwide subscribers. Not everyone in the world pays the same. I think in China WoW costs about $5 for 66 hours - »www.warcraftchina.com/sales/intro.html (access via google translate is helpful if you don't read the language). The reason I believe Blizzard may be including all players in the world is from reading articles like this - »www.geek.com/games/world-of-warc···1439355/

I understand in China players use local servers run by a company that has an affiliation with Blizzard. However, those players are likely part of the base.

If gold farming is not profitable, or limited, it could explain why many Chinese players could have left the game.

I would like to know how active players are in the U.S. and Europe vs. worldwide. Are subscriptions down as much in the U.S. or Europe compared to Asia (China in particular)?
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Criticals
said by WoW Fanboys :

BEST EXPANSION EVER!

cat666

reply to pandora
said by pandora:

I did think about how often Blizzard HAD to update it's tiers, and every 3 or 6 months may not be necessary to many players provided getting the gear is very difficult. It's about managing supply and demand.

They have to be careful though as people "finish" content at different speeds.

I've been decked out in all the LFR gear I need for 6 weeks so for me, I'm done with ToT. Likewise the majority of guilds that have downed Lei Shen on normal will view ToT as done, they may do the odd heroic kill but they don't have the skilled players required to do it all.

On the flipside you have guilds who have reached a stumbling point with Horridon/Durumu and are still not done with the tier.

Without updates those players "done" with the current tier will get bored and unsubscribe and Blizz lose money.On the 5th August ToT will be only 5 months old, yet WoW has bled subs. Time in the expansion cycle and the fact it's summer will have something to do with it of course, but without regular content people will just leave.

cat666

reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

said by WoW Fanboys :

BEST EXPANSION EVER!

It would be so cool if that's what WoW 6.0 was called.

Carpie

united state
reply to pandora
said by pandora:

If gold farming is not profitable, or limited, it could explain why many Chinese players could have left the game.

That's an interesting point. Chinese prisons are known for forcing inmates to farm gold to be sold later. Perhaps the magnitude in which this is done has been minimized; Perhaps they found a new way to create income outside of WoW and cancelled their subscriptions.
--
Absolution -- 6/6 MSV, 4/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 3/12 ToT
Pride and Ego -- 6/6 MSV 1/6H, 6/6 HoF, 4/4 ToES, 3/12 ToT

Vinceruos

join:2011-05-04
Dumfries, VA
reply to Ghastlyone
Said by GW2 Fanboys :
BEST MMO EVER!

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to cat666
said by cat666:

Without updates those players "done" with the current tier will get bored and unsubscribe and Blizz lose money.On the 5th August ToT will be only 5 months old, yet WoW has bled subs. Time in the expansion cycle and the fact it's summer will have something to do with it of course, but without regular content people will just leave.

You may have a point, maybe a new tier every 6 months. Doesn't matter much, older content has already been recycled into newer dungeons. Dust off a BC raid and make it 90, with whatever tier is necessary. It'll be nice for the older players, and if the gear is good, people will run it. Cost should be minimal.
--

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

That's an interesting point. Chinese prisons are known for forcing inmates to farm gold to be sold later. Perhaps the magnitude in which this is done has been minimized; Perhaps they found a new way to create income outside of WoW and cancelled their subscriptions.

I think once a Chinese company had license for WoW, the peoples party may have blocked other Blizzard servers. Forcing Chinese prisoners into a Chinese WoW system, may not be at all profitable. I don't recall exactly when China had it's own WoW, but recall reading about it a while back. If attrition is partly due to loss of gold farming, it may be an improvement rather than a loss for many playing the game.
--