uniqs
done99999999
join:2012-11-05
Beverly Hills, CA

done99999999 to grohgreg

to grohgreg

Re: [HN7000S] For Sale

said by grohgreg:

Good to excellent, and - compared to what I'd become accustomed to - very fast; I've seen 24mb/s down and 16mb/s up. A good PING is 88ms. On average, I'd say it returns perhaps 20/12 @ 120ms. Like Hughes however, there is an occasional "no internet" period; cantenna and modem both locked on a good signal, just no response from any web servers. Fortunately these outages seldom last any longer than HughesNet in a rainstorm.
//greg//

There's been an ongoing issue with some Homefusion hardware that I've read about, disconnecting for a while, sounds like what you describe. Some people aren't happy with it not being fixed yet. Another device instead of Homefusion possibly wouldn't disconnect like what you are seeing.

I waited for Exede5 to get the kinks out, they didn't very fast, then shortly after closed the area for new installs (most of the state actually). So, after 'bout 7 years with Wildblue, and my only other choice for an "upgrade" being Hughesnet (which is severely overloaded too), I went with Millenicom, 3G first, then 4G within the last few months.

This is 8 miles from the tower, through dense trees with a roof antenna. I've seen over 30 at times.
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 8647.png

Minus the price, it's nice to have real internet. 20GB cap is a nice improvement too. I haven't had any issues or outages to speak of in about 9 months.

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman

MVM

I'm a long-time Verizon user and have had 4G devices for a couple of years - now I find it almost everywhere that I go.
said by done99999999:

20GB cap is a nice improvement too.

Do you use 20GB every month? If not, I can't imagine paying for it. Verizon is an extremely easy switch-up, switch-down online, so I start every month with a 1GB plan (and never use even that when I'm off the road and have terrestrial service). I add on during the month as needed. It is not prorated, so I don't get, say, the 1GB price for 10 days and the 4GB price for the rest, but if I only use 6GB in a month I only pay for 6GB.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

1 edit

grohgreg to done99999999

to done99999999
said by done99999999:

There's been an ongoing issue with some Homefusion hardware that I've read about, disconnecting for a while, sounds like what you describe.

Well, all six LEDs stay green (2 on the cantenna, 4 on the router). But when 3 of the 4 operational LEDs (Internet/Ethernet/WiFi) blink simultaneously, I've come to expect no internet for a few minutes. But all this is self-rectifying, reboots/power cycles aren't required to recover. Just like as with Hughes during a heavy rain, the occasional brief Home Fusion interruption ends without customer intervention. You may be entirely correct about it being a hardware issue, but I've yet to encounter one what was similarly self-correcting. To me it seems more like a momentary server hangup at Verizon.

//greg//
done99999999
join:2012-11-05
Beverly Hills, CA

done99999999 to dbirdman

to dbirdman
said by dbirdman:

said by done99999999:

20GB cap is a nice improvement too.

Do you use 20GB every month?

I use 10GB without doing any video, just things like ebay (looking at equipment/vehicles with pictures), system updates (Linux), etc. Not really hard to do. I was on the Value plan with Wildblue and I had a very hard time keeping under, but I did. I was always downloading files to take to neighbors' houses. I don't have a Verizon cell phone, I use Pageplus, $30 per YEAR for more than I use, so I don't have anything to bundle in. So the hotspot plan alone, cheapest is $50 total for 4GB, plus whatever taxes. (don't know what taxes are on internet only, but with the cell phones it's over 20% last I heard here). 10GB is $80 a month (so Homefusion is the better option for price). Through Millenicom, it's $69.99 total, no tax, 20GB, and still the same Verizon data/speed. I'd like it cheaper, but it's not that ~much higher with taxes especially, considering it's the amount I use, and since a person already has to spend about that much anyway. If I could get the dsl in town at 1 meg for $50, or if Wildblue service didn't decline significantly, that's where I'd be.
done99999999

done99999999 to grohgreg

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Well, all six LEDs stay green (2 on the cantenna, 4 on the router). But when the all 4 router LEDs blink simultaneously, I've come to expect no internet for a few minutes. But all this is self-rectifying, reboots/power cycles aren't required to recover. Just like as with Hughes during a heavy rain, the occasional brief Home Fusion interruption ends without customer intervention. You may be entirely correct about it being a hardware issue, but I've yet to encounter one what was similarly self-correcting. To me it seems more like a momentary server hangup at Verizon.

//greg//

Maybe it's not the same issue, but they have been doing firmware updates to try to fix something similar sounding for some time now.

»www.google.com/search?cl ··· oe=utf-8

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to done99999999

MVM

to done99999999
said by done99999999:

I use Pageplus, $30 per YEAR for more than I use, so I don't have anything to bundle in.

Ahh, understandable. I tend to look at things from a mobile perspective, where I need the same service from Coos Bay, Oregon to Pine Mountain, Georgia and everywhere in-between. That makes Verizon the only realistic call, even if there are a few holes, for voice and data.