All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie

Will Proving Grounds be the new litmus test for players?

Will Proving Grounds be the new litmus test for players

A few days ago there was a thread on the official forums where a player expressed concerns that the new Proving Grounds feature would be used by PUG leaders to filter invites for groups, raids, or any other group content. Because Proving Grounds essentially grades any participants, the fear is that trade chat will be flooded by folks looking only to invite players with, for example, a gold medal/completion. Bronze and silver need not apply.

It's a pattern that has repeated itself many times whenever a new way of evaluating players was added to the game. In the past we've seen PUG leaders demand armory links, gearscore/average iLevels, and even achievements proving completion of the raids that they were organizing for (which often created Catch-22 situations for many players).

Carpie

Carpie

This has been a pretty heavily debated topic lately. What do you guys think?

Though I don't know that I would do it, I can certainly see the merit in looking to see how someone has progressed in the proving groups before accepting them as a PuG.

A better idea, imo, is to make achieving gold level a requirement just to get in LFR. Maybe even heroic dungeons. The sooner in the player experience this training can be provided, the better. Hopefully it would correct some of the baddies and make it an all around better experience for everyone.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
It stands to be far more legitimate than achievements, ilvl, and gearscore. As always... if you don't like it... join a guild that suits your personality/playstyle.

navymaverick
join:2011-07-21
Papillion, NE

1 recommendation

navymaverick to Carpie

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

Only if they pee on it.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by navymaverick:

said by Carpie:

Only if they pee on it.

okay... I'll admit it... I /chuckled. well done, sir.
Watermasta
join:2012-06-15
Quantico, VA

Watermasta to Carpie

to Carpie
I think this would not create a catch 22 as with the other examples. I've watched the video's of the 3 types for the gold. The endless one's are not online yet.

If you watch the video's they do not require anything crazy. Just know your class and your role. Tank-pick up adds, keep them away from your healer. Stay in line of site of your healer. Simple ass stuff.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5 to Carpie

to Carpie
I think it will be required for PUGs, but unlike gearscore it at leasts shows competancy in a role. From what little I've seen it is easy to get a gold and I believe there is also an achievement for getting a grade in a spec your not doing. For example Boomkin doing healing challenge. Can't be that hard.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Cat5:

I think it will be required for PUGs, but unlike gearscore it at leasts shows competancy in a role. From what little I've seen it is easy to get a gold and I believe there is also an achievement for getting a grade in a spec your not doing. For example Boomkin doing healing challenge. Can't be that hard.

How about Mage doing the tanking challenge?

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

I'm sure it will be done. Frost mages are pretty good kiters.

I'm going to try it on my warlock thats for sure.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
This may be useful, though the reality is that many organizers aren't looking for players capable of completing the content, but are able to faceroll it. This is the problem with the game, there are too many players that don't want to deal with real raiding, the grind. Faceroll or go home. I am hoping that flex raiding fixes this. Honestly, they should bring back separate 10 and 25 lockouts and leave flex alone. This was what allowed players that had more time to raid with pugs and still be able to support their guild, compared to the guild or LFR we currently have. Go back to the WotLK format that was great for everyone and allowed for pugging.
Nayan3
join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL

Nayan3 to Carpie

to Carpie
I checked it out on the PTR using a premade Priest and Warrior. It's both challenging and fun and yes I can see it being used by both guilds and PUG's. Which isn't a bad thing, IMO.

Goldheart
join:2002-06-09
Las Cruces, NM

Goldheart to Carpie

to Carpie
I think it should be. If someone can't do these they aren't likely to fare well in your raid.

That isn't to say such a person should be insulted, taunted, ignored. Good opportunity to take them under your wing and perhaps find a new friend/guildie.

stvnbrs
Premium Member
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC

stvnbrs to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
LFM SoO must be 550+ ilvl, pls link heroic achieve, PG gold for 2 roles and don't suck.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
said by Carpie:

This has been a pretty heavily debated topic lately. What do you guys think?

Though I don't know that I would do it, I can certainly see the merit in looking to see how someone has progressed in the proving groups before accepting them as a PuG.

A better idea, imo, is to make achieving gold level a requirement just to get in LFR. Maybe even heroic dungeons. The sooner in the player experience this training can be provided, the better. Hopefully it would correct some of the baddies and make it an all around better experience for everyone.

Maybe bronze for regular 5-mans, silver for heroic, and gold for LFR.

I didn't even know this was happening until I read this thread. Interesting idea. I think it's a good thing to try, it can't be worse than the many other ways to filter out people. If it's effective, it would streamline the process somewhat. As Goldheart See Profile mentioned, it would be a good opportunity for some people to mentor those in need.
Thordrune

Thordrune to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
said by stvnbrs:

LFM SoO must be 550+ ilvl, pls link heroic achieve, PG gold for 2 roles and don't suck.

Hehe, that reminds me of general spam in Dalaran. "LFM ICC25, 5200+ GS, link achieve and references"

I don't see much of that now, mainly because I have general and trade chat split into separate tabs that I almost never look at.

Noiche
Premium Member
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP

Noiche to stvnbrs

Premium Member

to stvnbrs
stv hit the nail with his hammer I believe. I really miss the separate raid lockouts for 10 and 25 man, and having different gear in each. 25 man gear always beat out 10 man, but in ICC, as a hunter I can't remember 2 BiS pieces being from 10h and the rest in 25h. This didn't really affect raids taking longer, cause if you were in a 25 man guild, the 10 man stuff was just faceroll and an amazing way to test newcomers or just relax in a less stressful raid environment. There was a slight feeling of obligation to run both every week, but that was just the hardcore raider inside me talking.

To address the OP, I can also see this becoming the new baseline for people getting into various groups, especially the newest tier of raiding. I believe this can be a good thing, but I do have to disagree with making gold a requirement to being in LFR. I've been through all types/tiers of raiding and progression, and understand and share the same attitude that bads need to have a way of being weeded out. But, my mindset has changed a lot of the last few years, and now I see LFR as an amazing opportunity to get people that don't have the time/skill to preform at their best in and get them some gear. I still firmly believe the main problem is the WoW community now days. Everyone's so quick to judge instead of offer help and ask questions. I get the same critizism now, yet everyone's so quick to call me every name under the sun instead of whispering me and offering advice, or caring enough to find out that I'm deployed and on worse than dialup internet, so it's not even my fault at all.

WoW community = bad m'kay
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

Knowing Blizzard, it's probably easy as hell to get gold. I may have to hop on the PTR to give it a try myself.

As to your comments about the community, the door swings both ways. Many times I have offered other (struggling) fury warriors advice, only to be ignored most of the time. I never criticize someone publicly; if a pug run gets really bad, I just leave and requeue. Everyone's different, and there's only so much you can do.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to Carpie

Premium Member

to Carpie
Thankfully I have a good guild, So I never had to deal with Gearscore. In fact when it was used I never had the mod because I did not like the concept of it, I commonly wondered how many good players never got groups because of it.