Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Fed Up

join:2007-02-19
m4m2v
kudos:2

[TV] Rogers tries to nail me with $50 Technician Install Fee

Just a word of warning to those that pick up a 'free' digital adapter from Rogers now that the analog channels have dropped like flies.

begin rant.

The removal last week of comedy (44) and BNN (57) was the straw that pushed me to pick up two adapters for 'free' from Rogers. I phoned in to enquire about the digital adapters and at first the guy was saying they could have a technician come out at such and such a time with the adapter. He made no mention that a person would be nailed with a $50 install fee. Regardless, I saw no need for a technician to come and I asked about picking one up at a Rogers store and he looked up the closest which was on the Danforth at Pape. I said I would pick one up there and he put a note for the store to hold one.

Next day I went and the store asked me how many I wanted and I said what do they cost? They told me free so I got two digital adapters for the TV's that don't have a Rogers STB. Got home, hooked them up and then called the 1-800 to activate and all was good or so I thought.

Today received a Rogers bill in the mail. Knew it was a bad sign as we are on a bulk cable agreement through our condo and we never have an individual Rogers bill as it is paid through the condo corporation.

Open it and see a technician install fee - Cable TV for $50 + tax = $56.49. WTF - call in and explained the issue to the the woman who quickly issues a credit which should show up on my next bill or so I hope. But it is ridiculous that Rogers even trys to pull this stuff. If it were not for the bulk cable agreement (and my wife liking certain channels) I would have no services with Rogers other than their part in providing my Teksavvy internet service. I would use OTA only as I get 7 channels with an indoor antenna and that is more than enough for me. I dumped Bell completely years ago (went VOIP) and wish I could do the same with Rogers. IPTV eventually maybe but OTA is fine.

What happens to those who don't know better and get nailed with fees like this and end up paying them. Must go towards maintaining the new bronze statue of Mr. Robber himself and shining the shoes of the execs. I think the agent I initially talked to must have had a quota and put it in hoping it gets paid because this should not have happened.

/end rant

I am also going to send a letter to the office of the President so they can ensure that processes are updated so this does not happen again.

UserX

@atrianetworks.net
Sounds like the rep forgot to put a campaign code on the work order to remove the install/pickup fee.

Contact Customer Service and they can remove the charge.

Fed Up

m4m2v

1 edit
Already did get a CSR to remove. The point is it should never have been charged.

If Rogers was open and transparent they would not describe the boxes as free. The could describe them as free with pick-up at a Rogers store or have a technician come out and deliver and install for $50. They certainly made no notification that I would be dinged with a $50 install fee had their tech been in the area and available shortly after my call. He gave some dates and times which did not suit me and I then inquired about picking one up.

What if I did agree to have them come deliver one as the 1st CSR suggested. At what point would I get the $56.49 FU bill. It would probably be buried in some fine print on the work order that no one would see and you would have to go through hell to fight it.

They are also certainly not free when you consider that the wall warts draw 7 Watts each 24/7. 7 watts*24hrs/day*365days/yr/1000= 61.32 kWh per year per box. Times 2 boxes is 122 kWh @ $0.16 per kWh = $19.62(factors in delivery, billing, debt retirement, etc). $20 bucks a year so you can get the channels you used to over the cable directly. And they advise you to leave them plugged in at all times to avoid service disruptions and get updates. Average home probably spends $100-$200 per year on phantom loads.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Fed Up
Agents do not get paid a commission or bonus for charging customers additional fees like installation. As UserX pointed out the rep forgot to apply the applicable codes to your account to ensure you did not get charged.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON
reply to Fed Up
My guess is that at some point in the future, these "free" digital adapters will no longer be free. Currently, Rogers is providing them free of charge. (Yes, we are converting our channels from analogue to digital, but we will provide a free digital adapter so that you will be able to continue watching your favourite channels.) However, I certainly remember the days when Rogers first got into the high-speed Internet market and provided Internet modems free of charge as well. We have all seen how that one turned out! So my prediction is that once they have completed the analogue to digital conversion, they will announce that there will be a nominal rental fee (say $2 or $3) or perhaps even an option to purchase!

mannyfresh

join:2005-07-29
reply to Fed Up
OMG..Somebody made a mistake... it's the end of the world.

You realize this box is a government mandated thing, not Rogers? Maybe you should complain to the government for trying to make things better for most Canadians.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Fed Up
Rogers lost another 25,000 "net" cable subscribers last quarter. That's Rogers own numbers after churn, moves etc etc. Rogers can thank Rogers for that. It's a law of nature. You destroy people's trust in what you're selling....they leave.

Fed Up

m4m2v

1 recommendation

reply to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

You realize this box is a government mandated thing, not Rogers? Maybe you should complain to the government for trying to make things better for most Canadians.

Get your facts straight. The conversion mandated by the government was in regards to OTA broadcasting. The decision to stop providing analog channels on cable is the the cable companies attempt to control their signal and shuffle channels to higher priced packages that used to be included in lower tiers.

»digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/129795104416···98544533
»digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/128293690748···24348080
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/bdt14.htm

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Hooter
I thought those DTA adaptors (if thats what we're talking about ) were free for one or two years then after that there would be a rental for them?

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by TwiztedZero:

I thought those DTA adaptors (if thats what we're talking about ) were free for one or two years then after that there would be a rental for them?

Other MSOs have gone that route, Rogers has not taken this path. However, nothing is stopping them from changing their mind.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Fed Up
said by Fed Up:

The decision to stop providing analog channels on cable is the the cable companies attempt to control their signal and shuffle channels to higher priced packages that used to be included in lower tiers.

It also frees up bandwidth, so there is also a technical reason for it.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by bt:

said by Fed Up:

The decision to stop providing analog channels on cable is the the cable companies attempt to control their signal and shuffle channels to higher priced packages that used to be included in lower tiers.

It also frees up bandwidth, so there is also a technical reason for it.

Especially for the upstream path so they can work towards improving these beyond pathetic upload speeds.

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON
reply to Fed Up
How do these things work with the "extra outlet" fees (which is total BS if your house is already wired, amplified, and has sufficient signal strength where you want it - and no, Rogers did none of that with their equipment).

I'm on VIP Cable which I understand has 4 outlets (thought it used to be 5), but I already have 4 owned HD boxes. The last analog tuners I have in use are a couple of computers, and with all my favorite VIP-tier channels now gone, I'm stuck getting an adapter - but not if it's going to cost me extra.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by Sunfox:

How do these things work with the "extra outlet" fees (which is total BS if your house is already wired, amplified, and has sufficient signal strength where you want it - and no, Rogers did none of that with their equipment).

I'm on VIP Cable which I understand has 4 outlets (thought it used to be 5), but I already have 4 owned HD boxes. The last analog tuners I have in use are a couple of computers, and with all my favorite VIP-tier channels now gone, I'm stuck getting an adapter - but not if it's going to cost me extra.

If you pay for extra outlets or you have a tier like VIP that includes extra outlets, you are allowed unlimited outlets.

However, Rogers may charge a one time fee of $80 to have an amplifier installed for every 5th outlet.

Sunfox

Markham, ON
Oh! Thanks much for this information. Now I won't be so hesitant to reclaim my missing channels!

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

OMG..Somebody made a mistake... it's the end of the world.

Yeah, rogers is good at "making mistakes" like screwing up routing tables on non ATIPA customers and "disconnecting" TPIA customers.
--
The Art of War
"Excessive law is no law." - Cicero
The man who fed the world

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to yyzlhr
said by yyzlhr:

said by Sunfox:

If you pay for extra outlets or you have a tier like VIP that includes extra outlets, you are allowed unlimited outlets.

However, Rogers may charge a one time fee of $80 to have an amplifier installed for every 5th outlet.

Not exactly. (your numbers are a bit off)
With vip or paying the $7.49 charge for extra outlets, you are allowed as many outlets as you like for no additional MONTHLY charge. That doesn't mean there aern't additional installation charges (which is where that install charge comes from). It is for outlet numbers 5, 6 & 7 they charge $75, 8, 9 & 10 $75 and beyond same. This is for installing an amplifier or secondary drop, whichever the technician who arrives onsite deems as necessary.
--
Hello

aereolis

join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON
reply to Sunfox
said by Sunfox:

I would not like to be the technician going to your house on a service appointment.
--
Hello

FedUp2

@bell.ca
reply to Fed Up
I'm just writing cause I see you are on a bulk cable agreement through your condo. I'm sortof in the same boat. I moved into a seniors residence beginning of August/13 and was receiving the DigitalPlus channels sans digital box for about 7/10 days (using remote only). Then the channels 'disappeared' and I contacted the super who told me to set up a 'sub' account with Rogers to get the extra channels. I went to a Rogers store and the rep called it in to set up the tech and was told the residence was billed under 'bulk' and ONLY the person whose named appeared on the billing could get boxes.?! When I returned to my building, I talked to some of the residents and they told me they just called Rogers and a tech came out and that they are paying extra for the extra channels. The Rep at the Rogers store told me the building was receiving Digital Plus cable, so I don't understand why these people are paying extra? The other residents suggested I call Rogers and have a tech come out, but now I am a little leary of the whole process and not sure what to do!!??

ltpenguin

join:2013-03-27
reply to Sunfox
LOL, Reclaim? Enjoy up to channel 28. I got a box and lost channels that I paid for >:I not to mention slow channel changing and low sound. Unplugged it and will enjoy my analog cable until they cut it.

Fed Up

m4m2v
reply to FedUp2
Hi FedUp2, if you are under a bulk cable agreement it would normally include at least one standard definition cable box per unit or the building did not negotiate a very good agreement. Rogers normally requires a sub-account for these so that each owner is responsible to return the set top box . As for the Digital to Analog adapters for other TV's in the unit, they should be free as long as you have a sub account because again they want traceability so they get returned.

As we don't use anything over and above what is included in the bulk agreement I did not even know what our account number was and had to call in to find out. I then had to be added to the account as it was in my wifes name. I would call in to Rogers again to determine if you have a sub-account or not and if not, set one up. Then pick up your needed number of boxes at a Rogers Plus store (avoid having a technician come out - $50 from Robbers unless absolutely needed)

Sunfox

Markham, ON

1 edit
reply to ltpenguin
said by ltpenguin:

LOL, Reclaim? Enjoy up to channel 28. I got a box and lost channels that I paid for >:I not to mention slow channel changing and low sound. Unplugged it and will enjoy my analog cable until they cut it.

Well, this just seems wrong. Finally got around to picking up a box today, and I get 70 channels, basically everything that was once analog. Yes, it's horribly slow changing channels (not sure why - there's like this huge lag between you entering a number it those numbers slowly appearing on screen), and volume is low but generally livable once you turn the built-in level up to max. Also it's stereo audio over RF, which is nice to see.

For the amount I use this tuner it's fine, but I think if I had to live with it on a daily basis the slow changes - even on plain channel up/down - would drive me nuts.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
said by Sunfox:

For the amount I use this tuner it's fine, but I think if I had to live with it on a daily basis the slow changes - even on plain channel up/down - would drive me nuts.

That's just the way digital video works. I nstead of just tuning to a different frequency, it's buffering a digital compressed stream for a few seconds before starting to play it. So it's really no different from how surfing to a Youtube video or Netflix doesn't start playing instantly.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Sunfox

Markham, ON
Maybe I should point out that I have 4 Rogers HD boxes in my home already, and none of them tune anywhere near as slow as the lethargic DTA50. And that's saying something, since I still have a Netbox 2.0 running the "new" software and the only thing it does quickly is crash! (But put SARA software on them and they fly.)

yabos

join:2003-02-16
London, ON
reply to Fed Up
They tried that with me twice. Once when I switched cable packages, the other when I switched set tops which I swapped myself. I think they just tack it on and hope you pay for it. I called both times and got a credit. It's a SCAM, and not surprised coming from Robbers.

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON
reply to Sunfox
I have VIP and an 8300 PVR. When I learned about these DTAs (I lost Speed Channel) I called Rogers and asked for 4 DTAs because that's how many possible TVs I had in addition to the one with the PVR. The standard maximum number Rogers is set up to give you is three, so they ordered an extra one and then charged me and refunded an extra $50 on the same bill. I don't see any extra outlet charge, although I've only installed one of the DTAs so far.

elitefx

London, ON
said by OLDYELLR:

...... although I've only installed one of the DTAs so far.

Do these DTAs require a phone call to Rogers to activate them or can you just plug them in and use them?

OLDYELLR

join:2003-04-05
Woodstock, ON
They require a call to Rogers to work. It comes up on the screen.

Sunfox

Markham, ON
reply to elitefx
Even if it's registered to your account in advance (which I suspect you have to do anyways), you still have to call to get it activated. With that said, activation was fully automated. I called the 800 number after hours and entered my account's phone number, selected the option to activate a box, and the system did it without any other information or input and the picture came up quite literally a second later.

elitefx

London, ON
Thanks guys.........