uniqs

Fed Up
join:2007-02-19
m4m2v

1 edit

Fed Up to UserX

to UserX

Re: [TV] Rogers tries to nail me with $50 Technician Install Fee

Already did get a CSR to remove. The point is it should never have been charged.

If Rogers was open and transparent they would not describe the boxes as free. The could describe them as free with pick-up at a Rogers store or have a technician come out and deliver and install for $50. They certainly made no notification that I would be dinged with a $50 install fee had their tech been in the area and available shortly after my call. He gave some dates and times which did not suit me and I then inquired about picking one up.

What if I did agree to have them come deliver one as the 1st CSR suggested. At what point would I get the $56.49 FU bill. It would probably be buried in some fine print on the work order that no one would see and you would have to go through hell to fight it.

They are also certainly not free when you consider that the wall warts draw 7 Watts each 24/7. 7 watts*24hrs/day*365days/yr/1000= 61.32 kWh per year per box. Times 2 boxes is 122 kWh @ $0.16 per kWh = $19.62(factors in delivery, billing, debt retirement, etc). $20 bucks a year so you can get the channels you used to over the cable directly. And they advise you to leave them plugged in at all times to avoid service disruptions and get updates. Average home probably spends $100-$200 per year on phantom loads.
mannyfresh
join:2005-07-29

mannyfresh

OMG..Somebody made a mistake... it's the end of the world.

You realize this box is a government mandated thing, not Rogers? Maybe you should complain to the government for trying to make things better for most Canadians.

Fed Up
join:2007-02-19
m4m2v

1 recommendation

Fed Up

said by mannyfresh:

You realize this box is a government mandated thing, not Rogers? Maybe you should complain to the government for trying to make things better for most Canadians.

Get your facts straight. The conversion mandated by the government was in regards to OTA broadcasting. The decision to stop providing analog channels on cable is the the cable companies attempt to control their signal and shuffle channels to higher priced packages that used to be included in lower tiers.

»digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/1297 ··· 98544533
»digitaltv.gc.ca/eng/1282 ··· 24348080
»www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_ ··· dt14.htm
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Fed Up:

The decision to stop providing analog channels on cable is the the cable companies attempt to control their signal and shuffle channels to higher priced packages that used to be included in lower tiers.

It also frees up bandwidth, so there is also a technical reason for it.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by bt:

said by Fed Up:

The decision to stop providing analog channels on cable is the the cable companies attempt to control their signal and shuffle channels to higher priced packages that used to be included in lower tiers.

It also frees up bandwidth, so there is also a technical reason for it.

Especially for the upstream path so they can work towards improving these beyond pathetic upload speeds.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to mannyfresh

to mannyfresh
said by mannyfresh:

OMG..Somebody made a mistake... it's the end of the world.

Yeah, rogers is good at "making mistakes" like screwing up routing tables on non ATIPA customers and "disconnecting" TPIA customers.