TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

[Rant] YouTube rant #192,480,981

The usability and user friendliness of YouTube continues on its downward spiral...

Just noticed today that when I watch a video, once the video ends, YouTube automatically shows the "share" options without me clicking on it.

Pain in the ass because I often want to read the detailed description or check out some links that the uploader put in the description, after watching the video. Now I have to click back to the "about" tab after YouTube auto-switches to the "share" tab.

And since I haven't ranted about the new layout yet...

-Long video titles are cut off, you need to click on it to expand the full titles. What was wrong with putting the title ABOVE the video, like on the old layout?

-Channel layout, by default, shows this stupid home/summary tab with playlists and "popular uploads", "recent uploads", etc. I much prefer to see a full chronological list of all the channel's video when I click on a channel page.

-Under the "videos" tab on a channel page, they have this "load more" button down at the bottom. VERY IRRITATING! First of all, it doesn't tell you where you're at, secondly if you reload the page, it collapses and you need to click the load more button a bunch of times to get back to where you were before. Very annoying if you're watching through a large number of videos on a channel, and want to come back later and continue watching more. It was way better when it used numbered pages, you could go directly to the page where you left off.

This is in addition to a great number of other things I've ranted about before, which I'm not going to rant about again.

What are these idiots thinking? They're dumbing down the site more and more and taking away or ruining previously useful, functional features.

Expand your moderator at work

TurtleFan

join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ
reply to TheMG

Re: [Rant] YouTube rant #192,480,981

all I want from youtube is the ability to replace videos. Gets so frustrating to have one that has a couple thousand views suddenly hit with a 'copyright' violation after 4 years and then either vanish, or have it's music silenced. If Vimeo has more eyes, I'd ditch youtube altogether...

Jim Gurd
Premium
join:2000-07-08
Plymouth, MI
reply to TheMG

You can get around the video reloading problem by right clicking on the video you want to watch and opening it in another tab. Close it and you're back where you left off.

My biggest beef is now that you can link a Google+ account to YouTube it becomes trivial to impersonate someone's channel. G+ allows multiple duplicate names so anyone with an account can change it to whatever they want and pretend to be someone they are not. This is happening to a friend of mine. Before this channel names were unique. Now they are not.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by Jim Gurd:

You can get around the video reloading problem by right clicking on the video you want to watch and opening it in another tab. Close it and you're back where you left off.

That's what I do, and it works when watching multiple videos in one sitting, however when I want to pick up where I left off a day or two later, well, you can see how that would be a problem (assuming you don't leave your computer and browser running all the time).

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to TheMG

The main thing I want back is the ability to buffer the entire video while paused. That was really useful for my laptop--I could buffer at home, take the lappy somewhere and watch regardless of if where I went had a connection.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

1 recommendation

said by sivran:

The main thing I want back is the ability to buffer the entire video while paused.

Fortunately, there's a 3rd-party addon to fix that:

»addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox···-mytube/

Enjoy.

It has worked quite well for me so far.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
reply to TheMG

Hmmm, I hope this is just a temporary bug, but as of yesterday I noticed YouTube no longer marks which videos I've already watched...

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

said by TheMG:

Hmmm, I hope this is just a temporary bug, but as of yesterday I noticed YouTube no longer marks which videos I've already watched...

I noticed this to. Thought I was losing my mind. And it started yesterday as you say.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Mittvok
Premium
join:2008-12-18
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to TheMG

Everything NEEDS to be dumbed down so the masses can consume them.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

The main thing I want back is the ability to buffer the entire video while paused. That was really useful for my laptop--I could buffer at home, take the lappy somewhere and watch regardless of if where I went had a connection.

I thought it was just me why it was not buffering all the way.. the sad thing is you have to do this on high speed internet which is sad.