All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Keefer21
join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Keefer21

Thinking about signature home after recent price jump.

I live in Rochester NY and just got my new bill with the promised increased prices, Bill is now 208 and some change.

Of course i would like to get more and pay less so i was thinking about the situation. I can swing the 208 and i have no desire to downgrade any of my services. I have the triple play with extreme 30/5. From what i can tell the 30/5 is whats killing me.

That being said. i was looking around the TW website and saw that signature home is 199 for 12 months.

If im going to pay around 208 why not get the best service?

so my questions are...

Is the DVR & equipment fee's included in the 199?

Is there any other fee's that arnt upfront?

anything else i should know about?

any input would be helpful thanks.

OSUGoose
join:2007-12-27
Columbus, OH

OSUGoose

I don't think Equipment fees are, from what I've priced out online.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Keefer21

Premium Member

to Keefer21
Signature Home is flat rate of $200/month. It includes digital cable with two Whole House DVRs, 50/5 broadband and digital phone. There are no other charges associated with the package other than the Franchise fees, FCC fees and sale tax. You’re in the Rochester area, so as you know, there is no sales tax on digital cable or internet only phone in NY State. That $200 includes all set top/remote rental fees and DVR fees. Signature Home subscribers also don’t see normal rate increases and we are exempt from the modem lease fee. I have it disabled on my account, but Rochester was one of the very few Time Warner areas that never charged for voice mail on digital phone, I believe they charge for that now, but that is also included with Signature Home.

If you want more than two digital terminals, I’m not sure how much a third DVR will run you, but for a non DVR box to be added to your account and MoCA network would be charged at a rate of $10/month. About a year after Sig Home came out, they came out with the ‘Premium View’ package which includes HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Movie Pass for an extra $30.

I believe I was one of the very first Signature Home customers outside of the initial Charlotte test area, and I’m willing to bet my life I was the first Sig Home customer in the Rochester service area when it came out in December 2010. There was no installation fee or upfront costs. My DVRs were swapped out for Samsung Whole House DVRs, which shortly after I swapped out for Cisco DVRs, my existing cable modem was provisioned for Voice only and another line was run for the D3 modem. Last fall I swapped the two modem set up for a combo D3/MTA and ripped out the extra run of coax.

I watch a lot of TV, spend a lot of time on the internet and don't have reliable cell coverage where I live, so Signature Home is worth every penny to me.

Keefer21
Hilton, NY

Keefer21

Wow great info guys, thanks. signature home sounds like the smart way to go. Why would I pay over 200 and get less service? Should of had a v8 moment.

Now to get the boss lady onboard!
jwsan
join:2002-03-04
Encinitas, CA

jwsan

Steve, Not sure why your bill is for $277.92. You have $34 of extra things and approx. $14 tax. $200 + $34 + $13 = $244. Looks like starting point is $226 not $200. What am I missing?
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

No, the starting point for Sig Home is $200. I don’t think you’re not taking into account the extra $30 I pay for Premium View.

Sig Home - $200
Premium View Add On (HBO, MAX, SHO, Movie Pass) - $30
HD Pass/Sports Pass/Starz/Latino - $34
Surcharges/Taxes/Frees - $14
TOTAL - $278

If had the regular Signature Home package w/o the movie channels and none of the add on services, final price after the below the fees would be in the neighborhood of $211-212.
Keefer21
Hilton, NY

Keefer21

just called and signed up.

Turns out there was a billing error and instead of the price of my old package being 208 it was supposed to be 260, so signature turned out to be an even better deal for me.

Apparently the price of 199 is now good for life for me? & the rep i spoke with gave me a 20 dollar credit on my next bill. im also in the running for one of those infamous 500 visa gift cards. i didn't opt for any of the premium movie channels.

the 4 show recording is going to be nice & i cant wait for the 50/5. whole house DVR is a "eh" thing to me & the home phone nationwide package i already had so no difference there.

They had a problem with the coding because i have a life line credit on my home phone so they did have to figure that out for a while but other than that i was impressed with process of signing up. looking forward for having signature home.

next Monday cant come soon enough!!
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Not really sure how long the price on Signature Home is valid for. I doubt its for life, since as prices increase, everyone who is interested in all three services who want Ultimate Internet, will eventually get Signature Home as it only makes sense. But Ill enjoy it while it lasts. Last year, two years after I was switched over, I received a bill for the full amount of the services at an unbundled rate, I called up and they packaged everything back up again and credited me back the difference, been fine ever since.

Do be aware though, not sure if this has been fixed or not, but if you subscribe to any of the Sports Season Packages that would be in season at the time of the switch over, so if you subscribe to MLB EI or MLS DK right now, the billing with those services got all fucked up for me. I was billed like two or three times for NHL Center Ice and ESPN GamePlan when I switched to Signature Home. It was something with the billing codes, I had to call up and get credit back, and eventually it was all straightened out. Basically what happened was the billing system wasnt seeing the first couple installments I paid for those packages prior to the switch over to Sig Home. No issues since though.

Sounds like there wont be much in the way of an installation, youll just get your DVRs swapped out. Not sure if up in Parma if you guys are part of ‘Area 11 or not, but the various techs Ive had out here all have been great, hopefully you get the same guys.
Keefer21
Hilton, NY

Keefer21

Yeah i thought the price guarantee for life was pretty funny. Thanks for the info about the sports packages, fortunately i don't subscribe to any of those so i wont know if they have that kink undone yet.

Whats the "‘Area 11"?

kontos
xyzzy
join:2001-10-04
West Henrietta, NY

kontos to Keefer21

to Keefer21
said by Keefer21:

Turns out there was a billing error and instead of the price of my old package being 208 it was supposed to be 260, so signature turned out to be an even better deal for me.

They had a problem with the coding because i have a life line credit on my home phone so they did have to figure that out for a while but

Upgrading to 50/5 Internet + Digital Cable package AND Obama Phone eligible? Please tell me that the last bit is part of the billing error you mentioned.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to Keefer21

Premium Member

to Keefer21
"†is a bunch of gibberish the forums software inserts now when using quotation marks. It was supposed to be ‘Area 11’.

Time Warner franchises are spit into different Areas or Zones. Techs pretty much stay in their own Zones. Area 11 in the Rochester division is a large portion of geographic land, mostly rural. It encompasses from my area, the very Eastern edge of Erie County to all of Orleans, Genesee and most of Wyoming counties along with portions of Monroe and Livingston. Zone 11 goes as far east as Scottsville, if I remember correctly, and while my Monroe County geography is rusty, I believe that is east of where you are located, so I would imagine you guys in Hilton/Parma get the same group of techs dispatched as I do. And all of the tech have been beyond great to deal with.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Keefer21

Premium Member

to Keefer21
I wish you luck with SH.

I was one of the early bird signer-uppers for it when it came out in August of 2010. I had it all ripped out of my house by October of 2010. While the techs were helpful and on your doorstep within 45 minutes of calling, the service still sucked, the picture quality was still horrible and the DVRs were (and from what I hear, still are) pathetically behind compared to what DirecTV and Dish offer.

Oh yeah, the phone service was terrible. You couldn't forward calls. You couldn't have simul-ring (ring many phones when an incoming call showed up) and you couldn't have your voicemail sent to you in an email.

Back then, if you wanted 50x5, you *HAD* to have SH. That requirement got dropped in March of 2011.

They also trenched my yard no less than 4 times in the period I had SH. The final straw was when it was officially determined that I could not have external storage on the back of the newly introduced Cisco PoS DVR's. Which, when I was signing up for the service was explicitly told would be allowed. They even went back and pulled the call to verify it.

I think SH is an overpriced PoS and you can do better buying individual services from individual companies.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Considering the OP already has TW service, trenching and installation of services won’t be an issue. Considering the OP lives in Rochester, home of Frontier, one of the shittiest telcos ever, Time Warner Broadband and Phone is a huge step upgrade. Call forwarding has been available on TW phone for years, and Voice Mail to Email has been around for a while too. I have both DirecTV and Time Warner Digital Cable, picture quality on the HD channels on Time Warner is on par with DirecTV, DirecTV does have better color saturation though and is less compressed depending on the channel, but it’s not a huge difference. My Time Warner DVRs have been more reliable than my DirecTV HR34 Genie system.

Sure you can get the three services cheaper from different companies, but you’re not getting the same level of service. I’d rather give up the internet before downgrading to DSL. I’m my area I could get Verizon DSL for $35/month at a whopping 3Mb, get some second rate VoIP services that will be out of business in a year and subscribe to the Sports Hater package on Dish and end up paying a third the price I do for cable and getting 1/16 of the service I get with cable.

Signature Home is a great value if you want higher end product offerings and the way to go with you want Ultimate Internet and Digital Cable with at east one DVR. DSL is a shitty technology and Dish and DirecTV both massively suck in their own unique ways.
Keefer21
Hilton, NY

Keefer21 to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

"†is a bunch of gibberish the forums software inserts now when using quotation marks. It was supposed to be ‘Area 11’.

Time Warner franchises are spit into different Areas or Zones. Techs pretty much stay in their own Zones. Area 11 in the Rochester division is a large portion of geographic land, mostly rural. It encompasses from my area, the very Eastern edge of Erie County to all of Orleans, Genesee and most of Wyoming counties along with portions of Monroe and Livingston. Zone 11 goes as far east as Scottsville, if I remember correctly, and while my Monroe County geography is rusty, I believe that is east of where you are located, so I would imagine you guys in Hilton/Parma get the same group of techs dispatched as I do. And all of the tech have been beyond great to deal with.

Oh okay, I believe your correct being east. Thats good to hear! Ive always had very good experiences with TW's tech's. For all the years ive had them ive only had 1 tech that didn't do a very good job but at least he was nice to deal with LOL. Two of the 4 same tech's i usually deal with actually live around the corner from me & One woman actually coached a soccer team when i was in high school.

Keefer21

Keefer21 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

I wish you luck with SH.

I was one of the early bird signer-uppers for it when it came out in August of 2010. I had it all ripped out of my house by October of 2010. While the techs were helpful and on your doorstep within 45 minutes of calling, the service still sucked, the picture quality was still horrible and the DVRs were (and from what I hear, still are) pathetically behind compared to what DirecTV and Dish offer.

Oh yeah, the phone service was terrible. You couldn't forward calls. You couldn't have simul-ring (ring many phones when an incoming call showed up) and you couldn't have your voicemail sent to you in an email.

Back then, if you wanted 50x5, you *HAD* to have SH. That requirement got dropped in March of 2011.

They also trenched my yard no less than 4 times in the period I had SH. The final straw was when it was officially determined that I could not have external storage on the back of the newly introduced Cisco PoS DVR's. Which, when I was signing up for the service was explicitly told would be allowed. They even went back and pulled the call to verify it.

I think SH is an overpriced PoS and you can do better buying individual services from individual companies.

Ouch, You should of stuck it out until they got down to the bottom of the problem. Ive had a few hiccups along the way with my services with the same issues. It took time but i always got fantastic credits & a supervisor parked in my front yard watching cable in the van for 6 plus hours waiting for the problems to crop up. At one point i had free cable for 3 months & my home completely rewired top to bottom & like you many new underground drops. but its hard not to be patient when everyone seemed to be doing everything they could to make me a happy customer.

For me there are no other options on the internet side. DSL isnt even available at my location. i would have to go back to my expensive PRI service i had back in 2003. No thanks. Ive had the digital phone since 2003 and in the Rochester Market all the telco features and voice mail were all included since day 1. including free voice mail which from my understanding wasn't free to other markets. I couldn't be more impressed with Digital phone to be honest. Call quality is fantastic & when it does have a rare issue, its not blamed on my Nortel PBX system i have in my home like frontier would insist.

as for the DVR's i really couldn't say to much about them. Im really not the video user in my household, my other family members are, but being the communications guy in the house i never hear any complaints and i can attest to the reliability of them. My close friends have DirecTv and in the last year they have had 2 genie DVR's give up the ghost after making some ugly noises and puff's of smoke.
I have one of the original Scientific Atlanta 8000 DVR's still tooting along in my bedroom that has to be at least 5 + years old at this point. It depends on whats more important to you, Shiny bells and whistles and what the tech geeks are creaming over at the moment or something that's going to last and not leave you stranded. Technology moves way to fast for that sort of thing so you cant expect to have the newest and best when your not paying outright for it like a computer or cell phone. your leasing, of course customer premise equipment is going to lag behind the times a fraction. Every time someone farts there is a new video technology that's out.

So for someone like me who is not willing to downgrade my phone features, Internet speeds or overall service experience who is going to pay 200 dollars for this amount of services: when i could pay the same price and get this amount of service: it seems like it's the cheapest and best option, at least for me.

Keefer21

Keefer21 to kontos

to kontos
said by kontos:

said by Keefer21:

They had a problem with the coding because i have a life line credit on my home phone so they did have to figure that out for a while but

Upgrading to 50/5 Internet + Digital Cable package AND Obama Phone eligible? Please tell me that the last bit is part of the billing error you mentioned.

i was waiting for someone to have a comment on this..

My father lives with me because he requires pretty constant care while he waits on an organ transplant, Unfortunately he couldn't work any more and there goes his insurance. I don't know if you have looked into it lately but purchasing health insurance yourself and paying for it out of your measly disability payment doesn't look so bright so he's on medicaid, The credit applies to anyone in the household who uses the service that is receiving benefits, I was actually sent a letter suggesting i was eligible for the credit.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Considering the OP already has TW service, trenching and installation of services won’t be an issue.

I've been a customer of TWC since 1997. And at the time of ordering SH, at the address I'm currently at, over a decade. So, one would have *thought* trenching wouldn't have been a problem.

But ... it was. It sucked.

I wouldn't consider any DVR offering from TWC to be "higher end". Nor the PQ. There's no comparison between DirecTV and TWC here in Charlotte. DTV smokes TWC, hands down.

Have you guys gotten a HD guide yet? We haven't.

Can you "lock out" channels you don't want on your guide or don't subscribe too with your TWC box? We can't.

Can TWC make it any more confusing when selecting an HD channel over an SD channel buy having 19 versions of it? See, on the DirecTV DVR I just say "hide SD channels" and they all magically go away. I want to watch channel 3 in HD? Key in 3. Done. With TWC, I have to key in 1113 or some insane channel number like that.

Did they ever "folderize" the program listings? I think they did. When I had SH all programs from all DVRs were just listed in alphabetical order. That sucked. I couldn't delete shows on remote DVR's. That sucked. But I think they fixed that a year or so ago.

And at least DirecTV gives you basic instruction on how to add an external HD to your DVR while TWC outright forbids it on anything newer than the non-HDC SciAtl 8300's. Do you know, I went through *NINE* 8300's in about as many months until I got a keeper? I've yet to replace any DirecTV DVR's in the 3 years I've been a customer.

I wouldn't suggest going to the phone co for internet or voice. They suck and they know they do. But there are much better services for MUCH cheaper prices that offer MORE value than what TWC offers, as well.

I laugh at the "VoIP services that will be out of business in a year. Heh, that's funny. Do your research and life will be good. And you won't be forking over your life savings to the cable co.

To me, SH would be a much better value if they'd figure out how to provide more programming in that $200. Hand out a movie pack or a sports pack or two. Dump Sprint as the phone back bone and provide real, next-gen VoIP services. And do something about the suck-tackular DVR's.

They're embarrassing. Dish and DTV (moreso) have been smoking TWC for years in functionality.
ke4pym

ke4pym to Keefer21

Premium Member

to Keefer21
said by Keefer21:

Ouch, You should of stuck it out until they got down to the bottom of the problem.

Except, I couldn't. See, I told them to come pick up all of their gear 2 days before the promo period ended. Had I waited any longer, I would have been forced to pay an ETF. And that was completely unacceptable.

I would have considered staying on if they would have brought back a non-HDC 8300. But they couldn't/wouldn't do that either.

And coming off a fresh 9 month problem of having higher uploads than downloads (back when we had 384k ups), I didn't have a lot of patience to wait around on TWC to get off their thumbs (that issue, for the record was because of over-saturated uplinks from the local hub that lived in a cardboard box down the street - which thankfully haven't shown back up since they got into the new hub).
Keefer21
Hilton, NY

Keefer21 to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Happydude32:

Considering the OP already has TW service, trenching and installation of services won’t be an issue.

I laugh at the "VoIP services that will be out of business in a year. Heh, that's funny. Do your research and life will be good. And you won't be forking over your life savings to the cable co.

Im really not sure what research i should be doing, i cannot make services available to me that aren't in my area or exist. and technically the digital phone service isn't VOIP & i highly doubt they will be dead services in a year. im willing to bet on that. Especially with the ATT & Verizon stance on their "valueless" wire line networks & the introduction of modular eMTA's.

What does Time warner using sprints backbone have anything to do with the service? i would say sprints backbone is a pretty decent thing since it was the first one and has been around for many years.

Most digital phone customers experience almost no outages. and YES YES im aware of the big outage that happened across most of the footprint a little while back. i have yet to hear of any service that has never had an outage ever. OOMA,Vonage ETC ETC out there don't support PBX systems, aren't well regulated and don't have a local tech that will come over if a problem should arise. Thats some value right there, Might be more important to me than you but that's my point. "next gen" voip service's really don't pertain to a residential customer. If you want next gen services at your home with hosted PBX features which is just what "next gen" VoIP is then go with Packet 8 or Centrex from the telco. the digital phone feature set is the same as any other residential phone service out there.

the guides, HD channels & DVR issues dont really pertain to me because im happy with the offerings. they work for me.

having Megapath/Covad as my internet & phone company prior to 2003 seeing i can only get PRI BRI T1 or ISDN which are all in the same boat, cost me over 300 dollars a month for two voice channels and a shotty 786K connection. Thats my option. cant even run one of your magic next gen Voip connections over that. that's still the option i have today. Not much value there...

Your bad experience or opinion of TWC in your area really has no weight on how much of a value SH is or any services from TWC are to me or anyone else. if you hate cable you hate cable. but there is no need to think because it doesn't suit you, its no good for anyone else.
ke4pym
Premium Member
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Keefer21

Premium Member

to Keefer21
Sorry, Keefer. The out of business in a year snipe was directed back towards Steve who said "some second rate VoIP services that will be out of business in a year".

If you do sign up for a second rate service, they may be out of business in a year. So, there in lies the research your company retort.

And for the record, you did ask for input on the service.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to ke4pym

Premium Member

to ke4pym
The only reason why I would think that would be a problem and you would need new cabling ran would be if there were issues with the old cabling. I would have been overjoyed to have 13 year old wiring replaced with brand new stuff. The guide is on par with DirecTV. I know people like to give DirecTV too much undeserved praise over their HD guide, but TWs isn’t so bad. At least there are no ads with TWC. And for being in the 16:9 HD format, you really don’t get any more info out of the DirecTV guide then you do on TW. It may look prettier on DirecTV, and if being able to view a whole additional 1 channel at a time on the guide (provided you’re on a section with no ads) is that much a big deal, then yes, DirecTV is perfect for you. When comparing the two side by side, there is very little difference in terms of functionality or what you can view.

No, you cannot hide channels from the guide and there are no folders, two things which don’t mean jack to me. With DirecTV, being able to hide channels is a requirement due to all the infomercial and barker channels they randomly place throughout the line up. As for the line up itself, I’d much rather have the HD channels separated from the SD channels, the way Time Warner is doing it. I hate that the channels are all jumbled with DirecTV. But that will be changing soon with TW’s new line up, which won’t be such a big deal to me due to their robust HD line up. You can now however unfortunately delete recordings from client boxes, a feature I wish either never came, or one that could be disabled.

Time Warner phone service just friggen rocks! When I had a Verizon landline, we paid per call and had no extra features other than Caller ID Number Only. Bill was less than $20/month on average. As soon as Digital Phone became available in my area, even though it cost more, I switched in a heartbeat. Caller ID on TV and Caller ID on PC are two features I will never give up. I don’t want no rinky dink VoIP service. Ohma or whoever they are charging $6 a month for phone service, yep they’ll have a long prosperous future SunRocket anyone? And what awesomeness would be gained by dumping Sprint as the back bone? Sound quality is already better then POTS. At least with Time Warner, if there’s a problem with the phone service, I have actual top notch support, and the service doesn’t cannibalize internet bandwidth.

Signature Home is already a great value. Let’s compare Apples to Apples on the high end between Time Warner and DirecTV

Signature Home Premium View ($230) + Starz ($13) + Sports Pass ($9) = TOTAL of $252

Premier ($125) + Additional Receiver Fee ($6) + Advanced Receiver Fee ($10) + Whole House DVR ($3) + Regional Sports ($2) = TOTAL of $146

So I’ve got $106 to make up for internet and phone. Anything slower than Time Warner’s fastest package is unacceptable, 50/5 is $100 standalone, so there we go. 3Mb DSL would be $35, So for $71 less I’d get no phone service and internet that is 16 times slower. No thanks, I’ll stick with Signature Home, it’s a better value for the money.

Lets scale back a little bit and knock off the premium movies and sports, the difference shrinks. $99 for TV (DirecTV Ultimate + WH DVR) or $200 for TV, Phone and 50Mb broadband with TW.

And the smartphone and tablet apps for Time Warner and worlds better then DirecTV. Hell, up until a few months ago, DirecTV didn't even have a real Android tablet app. And at least when it rains more then a drizzle I can still watch TV with Time Warner. The Ka satellites are so susceptible to rain fade it's unreal, no point into even tuning to an HD channel when it rains out. Signal strength of 90+ on 99 and 103 when it's clear quickly goes away when it starts to rain.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

Steve. The future is now. Ooma, MagicJack, and the rest have been around quite a while now. For the amount of money we pay monthly for these voip services they could fold tomorrow for what I care. I use Google Voice for crying out loud. We only use our cells for the most part and my Google Voice number forwards calls to my cell. Who cares how long these services last ? Those of us too cheap and thrifty to care will seek another service that works without having to pay a freaken arm and a leg to the cable company or Frontier or whatever. Cheap ? Why yes I am. Sending my son off to college for another year next week ? Yup.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I don't care what you use.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob

Premium Member

All I am saying Steve is that those of us out here in the real world with mortgages to pay, etc, use what we can and do what we can to try to live within our means. If it means Vonage or Ooma, or MagicJack for us, then that is what it means. You always put anything down that is not even remotely connected to the Time Warner Company . So really, we do not care what you use also. But, these so called fly by night companies who provide similar VOIP services seem to be somehow surviving just fine.

That is exactly what I was trying to point out more than trying to tell you what I use.

Carry on folks.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Well, it’s not my fault Time Warner provides superior solutions. If I believed for one iota of a second they didn’t, I would not be a customer. I probably wouldn’t even have a home phone if I had reliable cellular voice coverage, but I don’t. Keefer already has digital phone, has had it for years and is completely satisfied with it, so stop dumping on this thread, okay?
Keefer21
Hilton, NY

1 edit

Keefer21

Well my install Monday went off without a hitch. Already had the D3 UBEE combo modem & my first box was already the Cisco whole home jobber so the tech only had to install the second box and enter codes. install took less than an hour.

unfortunately after the install my speeds dropped dramatically. later that night my femtocell kept losing sync & i was noticing extremely slow speeds. ran a speed test & i was getting between 16-35 down and my upload was around the 5.

called that night and the friendly IVR computer said there was an outage in my area & the rep i spoke with relayed the same message so i waited it out until yesterday and was still getting horrible speeds so made an appointment for this morning.

the 4 week old UBEE POS combo modem was bad, The tech was getting great speeds on his tester so he swapped it out and now i have a Thomson modem.

speeds are amazing & im now completely happy with the signature home.

Satch
join:2009-11-25

Satch to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

said by Happydude32:

I've been a customer of TWC since 1997. And at the time of ordering SH, at the address I'm currently at, over a decade. So, one would have *thought* trenching wouldn't have been a problem.

But ... it was. It sucked.

I wouldn't consider any DVR offering from TWC to be "higher end". Nor the PQ. There's no comparison between DirecTV and TWC here in Charlotte. DTV smokes TWC, hands down.

Have you guys gotten a HD guide yet? We haven't.

Can you "lock out" channels you don't want on your guide or don't subscribe too with your TWC box? We can't.

Can TWC make it any more confusing when selecting an HD channel over an SD channel buy having 19 versions of it? See, on the DirecTV DVR I just say "hide SD channels" and they all magically go away. I want to watch channel 3 in HD? Key in 3. Done. With TWC, I have to key in 1113 or some insane channel number like that.

Did they ever "folderize" the program listings? I think they did. When I had SH all programs from all DVRs were just listed in alphabetical order. That sucked. I couldn't delete shows on remote DVR's. That sucked. But I think they fixed that a year or so ago.

And at least DirecTV gives you basic instruction on how to add an external HD to your DVR while TWC outright forbids it on anything newer than the non-HDC SciAtl 8300's. Do you know, I went through *NINE* 8300's in about as many months until I got a keeper? I've yet to replace any DirecTV DVR's in the 3 years I've been a customer.

I wouldn't suggest going to the phone co for internet or voice. They suck and they know they do. But there are much better services for MUCH cheaper prices that offer MORE value than what TWC offers, as well.

To me, SH would be a much better value if they'd figure out how to provide more programming in that $200. Hand out a movie pack or a sports pack or two. Dump Sprint as the phone back bone and provide real, next-gen VoIP services. And do something about the suck-tackular DVR's.

They're embarrassing. Dish and DTV (moreso) have been smoking TWC for years in functionality.

What I have heard is Signature Home experiences vary widely from division to division. Customers in the Milwaukee Wisconsin vicinity have had very good experiences. My friend in Syracuse New York, not so much. Research your division before going to Signature Home to see what others are saying. It varies widely. The techs for the most are in-house and do a good to great job. The Chat Support is the same scripted joke it has always been. On the other hand, customers get faster service.

You get Triple Play with the fastest Internet and Digital Phone Voice Mail automatically comes with it. You get boxes with 500GB's of storage, but the guide is the same as it is for non-Signature Home Customers. Cost is $200 a month, but does NOT include any Premium Channel Packs. $230 a month gives you the following packages:

HBO
Showtime
Cinemax
Movie Channel.

No Starz, No Sports Pass, No TWC Movie Pass. (Encore Channels, plus IFC)

Not sure about Flix. Do you get Flix with Premium Signature Home, ($230/month?)

TWC should just offer ALL the movie channels at the regular Price of $200 for Signature Home plus the Sports Pass and Movie Pass. Than you would have a better deal.

Best Phone Service Ever from TWC and Best High Speed Internet. Even just those services alone are outstanding!

TWC's Achilles heal is the mediocre guide with its poor search functionality and mediocre boxes. Some divisions will only give out the newest boxes for people in Signature Home/Whole House DVR programs.

TWC however has the best HD line-up and better retention deals when discounts packages expire. If you try to do retentions with Direct TV, U-Verse, or Dish Network, you have to REALLY fight after they treat you like a king for the duration of your program contract. AND, with the competition, you have to take DSL, and I don't know about their phone service. If your phone lines are bad, U-Verse will suck. I don't know what the dish companies use for phone service deals. Phone and Internet is where TWC rules!

Forgetting Signature Home for a moment to go with some general consensus of people whom I have known for the last decade concerning TWC and the competition:

Better Retention Deals............TWC
Better Phone Service..............TWC
Better Internet......................TWC
HD Channel Selection.............TWC
Video On Demand.................TWC
Caller ID on TV, Start-Over and Look Back........TWC (Competitors do not have, or have to get extra software to get Caller ID on TV.)
Better Boxes and Guide...........Competition
Better Customer Service......... Competition
Mobile Technology.................Slight edge to Competition, but TWC is improving here.

Satch
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

Movie Pass is included with Signature Home Premium View. Flix is included with the Showtime package, so it is included as well. When it returns.

$200 is too cheap to have digital cable with WH DVR, all the premiums, phone and wideband. The extra $30 for Premium View is already a $17 savings over ordering the movie channels individually.