join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa

Mod

Bay Bridge shut down

»www.sfgate.com/bayarea/a ··· 9735.php

»www.mercurynews.com/brea ··· fternoon

The shutdown comes on a day already teeming with traffic delays, with over 100,000 motorists hitting the roads to attend the Giants and A's home games, San Francisco's critical mass bike ride, the annual Gilroy Garlic Festival and a slew of concerts expected to draw huge crowds. Motorists were advised to expect significant delays in and out of San Francisco before the suspicious device was reported.

What a mess.

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

1 recommendation

shinjuru

Yeah, crazy. I was surprised to hear the device was on Treasure Island, but I didn't see any shots from the air on how large the device was. They closed down both directions. What a mess is right!

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I was too.

Maybe something or a package fell off someone vehicle as they were leaving the Island?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
How is the bay bridge build doing?

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

It's still up in the air as to whether or not the new bridge is going to open Labor Day.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
Is there any plan to build a new Western Span?

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

That I don't know.

shinjuru

West Coast

1 recommendation

shinjuru to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94
The iconic suspension span? It's probably cheaper to retrofit the existing structure.
said by signmeuptoo94:

Is there any plan to build a new Western Span?

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
But there's only 5 lanes, each way, right? Doesn't the new Eastern Span add a lane or two?
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

PrntRhd to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
I got home early by starting to go home late tonight....

The western suspension span is deemed earthquake safe.
The new eastern span will have emergency lanes to meet modern bridge standards, also a bikeway/sidewalk, and will be single deck from the toll plaza/metering lights to the Treasure Island shoreline. The number of lanes each way is not really increased, traffic will have 5 lanes double decked each way into the Treasure Island tunnel.
PrntRhd

1 recommendation

PrntRhd to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

How is the bay bridge build doing?

The current schedule is in flux, they need to insert safety keys (wedges) to keep the broken bolt area stable, the parts may be finished being fabricated in 6 weeks. These are good insurance in any case, a earthquake could damage the new structure and we would wind up with no bridge after a quake. Once the wedges are installed the new bridge could be opened, but the big remaining work will be splicing the new bridge to the existing tunnel and redoing the toll plaza end to the bridge, that work would take at least 4 days.

The Labor Day opening is unlikely but they may still be able to get it open by the end of September, IF THERE IS NO BART STRIKE of course. No way Caltrans/Contractors can shut down the bridge to change the lanes if a BART strike is occurring.

The "saddle" fabrication that more permanently fixes the weakness of the broken bolt section can be installed with the bridge open and running (it fits underneath the deck level).

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Broken bolt? Oh yeah, years ago there was something that broke, is that what you are talking about?

Being that I haven't lived in the Bay Area for, oh my God, how many years, I don't know all of what has happened.

By the way, is House of Nanking still a good place to eat? I looked at the menu and the menu doesn't look too great.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd

Premium Member

No, you are thinking about the broken eye beam on the cantilever section of the old bridge structure.
Here is a link to a lot of info on the bad bolt/rod issue on the new structure:
»www.mercurynews.com/brea ··· ocuments
PrntRhd

PrntRhd to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
A quick update, the Bay Area Toll Authority announced they will try for a Labor Day weekend shutdown and opening of the new span at 5:30 AM on Sept 3.
Bridge closes August 28 to allow the conversion of each end to the roadways.

shinjuru

West Coast

shinjuru

I saw a segment mentioning that they would dramatically cut back on the opening celebrations due to the delays from the replacing defective bolts. Good news! Would love to drive on the new span in 2014.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

It's gonna be a mess getting to the City from the East Bay that last week with the bridge shut down. I feel sorry for the commuters.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by sashwa:

It's gonna be a mess getting to the City from the East Bay that last week with the bridge shut down. I feel sorry for the commuters.

I will be heading over to the Golden Gate Bridge for those days via route 37. The problem is getting around the backups headed to Sears Point. Add an hour or so to the commute time...

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa

Mod

I guess the same will happen for those in the East Bay. They will probably use either the San Mateo Bridge or the Dumbarton Bridge. Or use BART.

You got any vacation time left to take, Prnt? Or the messy commute could make you sick.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Not as sick as an October BART strike.
PrntRhd

2 recommendations

PrntRhd to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
An update,
try the new driving experience link for animations re the new span.
Note the removal of the old cantilever span and approaches will take another three years to accomplish.

»baybridgeinfo.org/

weap0nr
God Bless America
join:2000-10-23
San Francisco, CA

weap0nr to sashwa

to sashwa
definitely lighter traffic in the city but san mateo bridge was jam packed! heard dumbarton and carquinez were better.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Standing room only on BART. The Alameda Ferry is running out of parking spaces.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

1 recommendation

PrntRhd to weap0nr

Premium Member

to weap0nr
said by weap0nr:

definitely lighter traffic in the city but san mateo bridge was jam packed! heard dumbarton and carquinez were better.

You mean the Richmond Bridge instead of the Carquinez?

I ended up calling in sick with a cold. The Nyquil is working but I cannot drive worth a darn after taking it.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I was just coming here to ask you if you caught the blue flu today and tomorrow, Prnt.

So sorry you caught a cold.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by sashwa:

I was just coming here to ask you if you caught the blue flu today and tomorrow, Prnt.

So sorry you caught a cold.

I was up and trying to go to work at 4:20 AM but I had ringing in the head from the Nyquil and could not finish getting dressed.
I have go to work tomorrow, otherwise I don't get paid for the adjacent holiday on Monday. Corporate rules...

The closure last evening was chaotic, the CHP moved up closing on ramps to 7:20 PM to have the bridge traffic completely gone by 8:00 PM. Unbelievable gridlock getting to the bridge at 5:30.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa

Mod

I forgot about that - having to work the day before and the day after a holiday to get paid for the holiday.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better because I know lots will take off Friday to have a 4-day weekend.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Survived the commute, left at 5:20 and was in SF Financial District by 6:45.
The trip back home was three hours though.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

You poor guy! I was thinking of you this evening during the local news when they said it was taking a hour just to get out of the City.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
Channel 7 did have a copy of film on the construction of the original bridge, pretty slow but it does show the builders were proud of those eyebars.
»abclocal.go.com/kgo/vide ··· =7000153
PrntRhd

1 edit

PrntRhd to sashwa

Premium Member

to sashwa
New span may be opened early, CalTrans just announced it might be opened tonight. No time for the opening yet announced.
»www.ktvu.com/news/news/l ··· t/nZkGW/

Edit, possibly opening after 9 PM tonight.