how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mkop

join:2010-08-03
Albuquerque, NM

1 edit

Does Centurylink require Modem Authentication ?

I recently purchased my own VDSL2 modem and posted about the config here.

It worked flawlessly for two days and I sent back by Centurylink modem.
Shortly afterwards the DSL light started blinking. I logged into the modem and there was no DSL connection!
I tried everything, rebooted multiple times, restored factory defaults, used different phone cable, plugged it into a different phone jack. Nothing worked.
I called tech support and they said I had a bad modem. I was in a bad situation as I had just sent back the century link modem so I did not have a backup.
I called centurylink and asked for a another modem. It took three days to arrive and in the mean time I would periodically try the modem I purchased, nothing worked and there as no DSL signal present.

Here's where it gets interesting.

I received the replacement centurylink modem and plugged in the phone line. The modem booted up and the DSl light turned solid green indicating a DSL connection.
Then I unplugged the phone cord from the replacement Centurylink modem and plugged it back into the modem I purchased. Guess what? It started working again!!!!

This doesn't make sense though. I was without DSl for a solid three days. It wasn't a transient DSL outage as I asked tech support to check and I know my line is good as tech support tested it as well.

The only thing I can think of is Centurylink is performing some sort of MAC authentication or attempting to access my modem by some means such as TR-069 and when it fails it cuts off my service. Or I need to somehow register my modem with them. I suspect this is the case so I went to »install.centurylink.net while connected with the modem I purchased in hopes that will prevent the problem form happening again

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Does anyone have any theories as to why this would happen? I asked tech support a bazillion times if I needed to authorize or register my modem or enable some settings for centurlyink to access and they denied I needed to do anything other than use my username and password. If anyone from Centurylink can shed some light on this I would be extremely interested. I'm hoping it will not happen again but I will update again if it does.

mrhoogles

join:2012-03-02
Ames, IA

Re: I Suspect Centurylink requires Modem Authentication

huh, thats interesting.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
reply to mkop
I'm not sure what your point is but it sounds like you purchased a generic off the shelf modem and tried to use it instead of an official Qwest modem? Real Qwest branded modems have proprietary software in them so they would be easy to identify which explains why yours was rejected. I'd stick with real Qwest modems. I've switched modems several times and not had any problems.

mkop

Albuquerque, NM
It was just a bizarre resolution to a strange problem and I was wondering if it had happened to anyone else or if there were any other theories as to what happened.Centurylink insists that any VDSL2 modems are compatible and nothing special needs to be done so I'm open to other theories.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to mkop

Re: Does Centurylink require Modem Authentication ?

I just use an old Q100, it works flawlessly in either bridge or router mode, and i can use any decent router with it since it's a standalone modem.

It seems to be the only modem that will tolerate my crappy line for days on end without issue as well, and they can be had for fairly cheap on craigslist or ebay.

mrhoogles

join:2012-03-02
Ames, IA
reply to ArizonaSteve

that must be a VDSL2 thing, we have adsl2+ here, and you can use any modem you want.

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA
reply to mkop
Here's a data point for you: I have the Q1000 and I've disabled the TR-069 and I've had no problems.

HTH

brad152

Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to mrhoogles
Well it's not that VDSL2 cannot use any "off the shelf" modem, nobody hardly makes them to be sold to the public.

When i had the 7Mbps service in Tempe, i used a Netgear ADSL2+/WiFi combo modem, but since going to 20/5 (and now 40/5), i personally cannot find any VDSL2 modems that i can even purchase, so i've settled using my Qwest Q100 in Bridge Mode.. Has been solid for four years straight now.

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Can't find any VDSL2 modems? There are lots of them on Craigslist and at Goodwill.

broccoli

join:2007-11-29
Portland, OR
reply to ArizonaSteve
said by ArizonaSteve:

I'm not sure what your point is but it sounds like you purchased a generic off the shelf modem and tried to use it instead of an official Qwest modem? Real Qwest branded modems have proprietary software in them so they would be easy to identify which explains why yours was rejected.

That's absolutely BS. I have been using an 'off-the-shelve' modem on my Qwest VDSL2 line for over a year without any issues.

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
reply to mkop

I can't speak to the legacy CenturyLink areas, but in the former Qwest areas there's no such mechanism. If there were a mac address conflict of some sort, you'd have no authentication but it shouldn't affect the ability to train at all.

In some cases a line might get turned down in a non-pay situation, but a port being turned down is something easily identified by tech support.

My guess is you just had a flakey modem.

brad152

Phoenix, AZ
reply to ArizonaSteve

I mean 3rd party and not CL/Qwest branded. Thus the reason i'm using a Q100 that i purchased from Qwest back in 09

mkop

Albuquerque, NM
reply to dynodb

My 6718-W1 has been working fine over the weekend but I'm scared as hell to return the Centurylink modem now in case I need a backup.

When I was setting my modem up I was constantly plugging and unplugging both modems in. I wonder if there's not any authentication per se but maybe I tripped some sort of red flag in the system that gets raised when too many modems are plugged in? Maybe as some sort of built in fraud protection? There's scant information available on people using non Centurylink modems, especially from those using modems that are not on the officially supported list so it's tough to say what fringe cases are out there.

I can't buy into the flaky modem bit 100% as the modem system logs did not show any errors and even though that doesn't mean much, the timing on when it started working again is just too weird... Another theory is that my line was disabled until Centurylink received confirmation that the original modem was received back at the warehouse.

jmiller

join:2013-06-25
Minneapolis, MN
reply to ArizonaSteve

said by ArizonaSteve:

I'm not sure what your point is but it sounds like you purchased a generic off the shelf modem and tried to use it instead of an official Qwest modem? Real Qwest branded modems have proprietary software in them so they would be easy to identify which explains why yours was rejected. I'd stick with real Qwest modems. I've switched modems several times and not had any problems.

Proprietary software would make it non-standard. I don't know why any ISP would want to bother with that.

I've been using an old Alcatel that says nothing about Qwest/USWest from the Windows 95 days and it's been working fine.

jmiller

join:2013-06-25
Minneapolis, MN
reply to mkop

said by mkop:

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Does anyone have any theories as to why this would happen? I asked tech support a bazillion times if I needed to authorize or register my modem or enable some settings for centurlyink to access and they denied I needed to do anything other than use my username and password. If anyone from Centurylink can shed some light on this I would be extremely interested. I'm hoping it will not happen again but I will update again if it does.

The only thing that's ever happened to me that is remotely similar is on another DSL ISP long ago. I had a standalone modem, no router, and the tech that came out connected his computer to it and verified it worked. Then when he left, I connected my router to it, and it didn't work. I don't recall exactly what the symptoms were. They told me their equipment at the CO latched onto the MAC of his laptop, and refused to talk to any other MAC address. (had something to do with ARP if I remember) They said there's a timeout that had to occur, but they reset it manually and then it worked.

PhoneDude

join:2013-05-03
Houston, TX
reply to mkop
Centurylink does not use MAC authentication on any modem to gain sync. Most CLNK Westel, Zyxel & other modems do contain the ability to remotely interact with an OSS to provide remote access so that technicians can retrieve line stats and perform a limited number of configuration functions such as editing PPPoE profiles or changing Wi-Fi settings. As I understand it, this is the only place the MAC address is used.

I've seen pretty much every brand of modem there is used with varying degrees of success. The variability has more to do with the user gaining the correct settings & properly configuring the modem (i.e. - DHCP/PPPoE, VPI/VCI, etc.).