spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fx_woes

@comcast.net

[FireFox] Experimental, Firefox sharing user interests with webs

This is currently in experimental development. The idea is that the browser uses your history to generate a set of interests, which can then be voluntarily shared with websites. Even if it's optional and controlled by the user I still think this is a bad idea and path to take. I don't like the direction Mozilla is going with Firefox and haven't in a long time. I see this was posted over in Security but I think it should be here also.

What are your thoughts to this? Sometimes I wonder if it's time to go back to using Lynx!

»blog.mozilla.org/labs/2013/07/a-···firefox/

»blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/07/25···-people/

»yro.slashdot.org/story/13/07/26/···nterests

»Mozilla: Browsers could share your interests with websites

IndianaGuy

@comcast.net

Re: [FireFox] Experimental, Firefox sharing user interests with

Thanks fx_woes for posting this. I don't visit Blogs like this so it's nice to have it brought up here.

Making my browser history available to websites I visit is a BAD idea. The privacy is part of the reason I use Firefox, the other is all the extension I can use to customize it. Many of those extensions work at keeping my privacy including browser history.

Even if this is a 'viable' op-in feature it has potential for abuse accidental or intentional.

No thank you Firefox developers and you even considering going to the 'dark side' is disturbing. If I want a "personalized experience" I'll go to the local bar.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

Then we no upgrade.
Is FX going to NOT allow you to turn off History? I don't use it, nor do I store passwords. I dump everything possible when closing FX.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to fx_woes

I'm still pissed from when they added the social sidebar GARBAGE.

And telemetry data collecting...

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

So find another browser.

I am sure there are some folks who like these new features.

Me I don't care, that social sidebar "garbage" as you call it (I fine with that, your opinion, your entitled to it) is not enabled by default. You have to take certain steps to enable it if you want to use it. While I use Facebook, I have not enabled the Facebook service as I don't spend a lot of time on Facebook and that service is of no use to me. My daughters on the other hand have enabled it and like it.

This new thing on sharing user interest, well I certainly won't be enabling it. As long as it is optional I have no issues with it.

Telemetry data collecting? I have no issue with that either. I have it turned off.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast
reply to carpetshark3

said by carpetshark3:

Is FX going to NOT allow you to turn off History?

There is no mention of that, do you have a reference, or are you just pulling stuff out...
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

Check Indiana Guy's post. He mentioned making browser history available to other web sites. So I asked. I don't usually read tech blurbs. When an app puts out a reference to something new, it's usually BS. Half like it and half don't.