spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jdoe71
join:2008-02-07
L0L0L0

jdoe71

Block incoming emails at the server

Used to be able to do that using very configurable rules on the old webmail app, now they are gone with its demise. So how do we do this now? I do not want all the junk spam and FWDs full of stupid jokes and images clogging up my pipe, I do not want client side rules, I want server side like we used to have. That was a great value add to Tek's service and it's a shame it appears to be gone with the old webmail app which was far better than the new one. I would think it would benefit Tek as well by cutting down traffic on one side anyway.

Is Tek still using Ironport? Can it not do server side rules per client?

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma

I'll never understand why people use ISP based email.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Because it is simple, it works, and it is easy to get support.

Do I? No, I have my own mail server, but I understand it.

NytOwl
join:2012-09-27
canada

NytOwl

said by kevinds:

Because it is simple, it works, and it is easy to get support.

Do I? No, I have my own mail server, but I understand it.

I quasi-understand it as well, but for me personally, the cons far outweigh the pros.

I refuse to tie myself to an Email account that would disappear should I decide to switch providers down the road. I know of a hand-full of people whose sole reason for staying with their existing ISP, despite frequently stating their strong displeasure about their monthly bill and/or service, is that they don't want to switch Email addresses. While it may be a PITA process for some, that reason is silly.

You know what else is simple and works? Gmail. Outlook (formerly Hotmail). Is it as easy to get support? Perhaps not. But how often do users of such services realistically require it, really?

Gmail especially has amazing spam filtering.

Changing one's main Email address is especially all the more simple while still having the ISP mailbox. Simply open your new account on Gmail/Outlook/wherever, and then enable forwarding on your ISP mailbox to forward all new messages to your new account. A simple added step is to add a short & sweet statement in your new mailbox's signature asking people to update their address books to reflect your new address. Ta-da.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

said by NytOwl:

You know what else is simple and works? Gmail. Outlook (formerly Hotmail). Is it as easy to get support? Perhaps not. But how often do users of such services realistically require it, really?

The users who do, need help setting up the email server names when getting a new computer, new smart-phone, malware corrupted their Outlook Express account details and they need to reset their password, it is simple to call your ISP and get support.

I will not give up my own server though, I'm running Exchange right now, and going back to Outlook.com for example, is just painful

This however is way-off topic now.
jdoe71
join:2008-02-07
L0L0L0

jdoe71

Wonderful discussion but totally not productive. The ISP vs Freebie email thing is beat to death. I use both, but I use the freebie to collect junk. Like it or not there is still a hefty sleaze factor associated with freebie email, especially Hotmail and Yahoo. That problem doesn't exist with ISP email addresses except unfortunately maybe Tek due to some big ISPs that block it on occasion as a spam source.

I use Gmail's filters on email addressed to my Gmail account, they work well. I also use GMail to get my Tek POP3 email because their webmail client is much better than Tek's new webmail client. I'll just have to see if the filters work the same for POP3 mail from another account as they do on native GMail accounts.
Ares45
Premium Member
join:2007-11-14

Ares45

Premium Member

said by jdoe71:

Wonderful discussion but totally not productive. The ISP vs Freebie email thing is beat to death. I use both, but I use the freebie to collect junk. Like it or not there is still a hefty sleaze factor associated with freebie email, especially Hotmail and Yahoo. That problem doesn't exist with ISP email addresses except unfortunately maybe Tek due to some big ISPs that block it on occasion as a spam source.

I use Gmail's filters on email addressed to my Gmail account, they work well. I also use GMail to get my Tek POP3 email because their webmail client is much better than Tek's new webmail client. I'll just have to see if the filters work the same for POP3 mail from another account as they do on native GMail accounts.

There isn't a sleaze factor with using ISP mail, but there's a massive techno-illiteracy factor.

The only sleaze factor I can think of is with Hotmail, just because the name is stupid. Outlook.com is much better.
not entered
join:2008-05-27

not entered to jdoe71

to jdoe71
I've learned a long time ago to *never* tie yourself to an ISP's e-mail service.

Its nuts to feel forced to stay with a s**tty overpriced ISP because you don't want your e-mail address to change.

IMHO, the best, most flexible email configuration is to get a domain name and email redirection service and use that to redirect your email anywhere you want -- gmail, hotmail, yahoo, where-ever.

I use easydns.ca's email redirection service and have never had an issue.