uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

[Chrome] Current version?

I'm trying to figure out if I have the latest version of chrome on my android smart phone, but it ain't easy. I looked all over the chrome website and nowhere did I see what the current version of chrome mobile for android is. I did find where on my phone it says what version I have.
I also looked all over the program for a "check for updates" button and I could not find it.

So I have a few questions if anyone can help.
1. What is the current version of chrome mobile available for download?
2. How do you update chrome if you don't have the latest version?

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

said by Sentinel:

I'm trying to figure out if I have the latest version of chrome on my android smart phone, but it ain't easy. I looked all over the chrome website and nowhere did I see what the current version of chrome mobile for android is. I did find where on my phone it says what version I have.
I also looked all over the program for a "check for updates" button and I could not find it.

So I have a few questions if anyone can help.
1. What is the current version of chrome mobile available for download?
2. How do you update chrome if you don't have the latest version?

For starters, I'm not 100% sure this is the right forum, so don't be surprised if the moderators move this message thread.

That being said, if you're on an Android phone, the best place to check that you have the latest version would be the Google Play Store app. Looking there from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, the current version of "Chrome Browser - Google" is 28.0.1500.94, last updated on July 22, 2013.

Hope this helps,
DiskDrive See Profile

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to Sentinel

You will also get a notification on the top left of your homescreen (where you would then pull down the window) when there is a new update to chrome. You then go to the Play Store and the update will be there.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

for me its bottom screen.

you can just go to play store, check all apps. If there is an update, you'll see it. It there isn't then you're on latest version.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to DiskDrive

DiskDrive,
Thanks. if 28.0.1500.94 is the newest version then it looks like I have an older version.

lordpuffer,
I have received no notifications.

Alcohol,
I don't have a play store account. Is that the only way to update it? There is no setting or feature within the app do update it internally?

DiskDrive
Goin' In Circles
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Farmington, MI

said by Sentinel:

I don't have a play store account. Is that the only way to update it? There is no setting or feature within the app do update it internally?

By default, most Android systems are set to only allow applications to be installed or updated by the Google Play store only (since it's basically an integral part of the OS). There is an option you can select that can allow programs to be installed from other sources if you wish, but most apps simply rely on Google Play to do the update work for them.

You'll probably want to setup a play store account and can do so for free without even giving them an credit card information. Updating your existing programs and installing free ones won't cost you anything at all. If you leave yourself signed in to your Play account, the system will check every once in a while to see if there are updates for any of your installed apps and will notify you of such.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

Money is not an issue. I just don't want to sign up for an account so that they can see everything I am doing. I have no need for a Google account and would just simply prefer not to have one.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Then how do you plan on updating your apps? Using the Play Store is the easiest way.

»support.google.com/googleplay/an···98?hl=en

You *can* use FDroid (a repository for free/open source apps), which may or may not have all the apps you need to update. Download from here:

»f-droid.org/

If you choose to use FDroid, you will have to "allow downloads from other sources" in your phone's settings.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Sentinel

said by Sentinel:

I just don't want to sign up for an account so that they can see everything I am doing.

That's not how it works. They can already see what you're doing.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
reply to Sentinel

How about Amazon? You can install the Amazon store.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to La Luna

Thank you for the link. Never knew about F-Droid. At least I know I am compiling a clean source app if I download from there and not a bunch of spyware like unfortunately, the Play Store and other third party markets are riddled with. Does not help the OP though because Chrome has proprietary parts, so you will not see it on F-Droid, ever. I think he should just break down and get a Google account, but there is 1 Mobile Market(not the stupid lite version on play store that can only grab apps from play store, go to 1mobile.com). A few apps are behind version(namely apps like Adaway that got pulled from the Gay Store) but most apps are current. Sometimes it sees an update quicker than the Play Store, but if both have the app, I usually use the Play Store. Like most commercial apps, I suspend it with Greenify if I don't need it running in the background(a godsend for apps like Facebook and many others). Only thing is I hate how Google has played politics with certain kinds of apps like emulators(allowing mostly only shitty ones not worth downloading or buying, with exception of FPSE following Sony's takedown request and banning of a few developers) and ad blockers(pulling them altogether).
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to Sentinel

Good info. I will check it out.
Thank you all.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Alcohol

said by Alcohol:

said by Sentinel:

I just don't want to sign up for an account so that they can see everything I am doing.

+1

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by not quite right:

said by Alcohol:

said by Sentinel:

+1

They only see what I want them to

....and if it's a bad hair day, they see nothing at all