how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

[Rant] DSLReports...

Leave it the hell alone. Stop screwing with everything and changing our layouts. First you FORCE me to read ISP reviews on the main page for locations that are hundreds if not thousands of miles away for ISPs I will probably never have a change to buy service from.

Now I've noticed that the way that threads are displayed are now where you can't tell who is replying to who. What is it that form ops have against the old News Group style threading?

If you are going to change crap then give us the option to put it back the way it was before.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

CulDeSac

join:2007-12-01
Chandler, AZ

2 recommendations

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA
Love that movie. (2 thumbs up approvals encouragements ...oh, WTH thumbs up )

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to battleop
"Ah. Yeah, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and not complain about this. Oh, and if you could go ahead and sit at the kids' table, that'd be great."

--Bill Lumbergh (not from Office Space but from Family Guy)

(Seriously, though, there's at least a chance that Justin will re-instate the threaded view once all the clean-up is finished; so, request it [again] then.)

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to battleop
Change is good brother!
If it wasn't for change, we'd be driving AMC Gremlins, eating Goober Peanut Butter/Jelly, wearing polyester, doing the Hustle & still loading floppies.

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to battleop
Don't be suprised if this thread is locked or deleted. The Mods love when people praise DSLreports, and doesn't lock those threads, but if you do a rant, they will lock it. It has happened to me. Apparently they don't like being called out on doing things wrong, and they don't like criticism
--
No Victim=No Crime

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to battleop
Change may be good, but looking like you never studied page layout doesn't improve change.That satisfied, unsatisfied box just looks messy sitting at the top of the page.

Moving the log out button around isn't too nice, either. First it was under members, then at the bottom of the page, now it's under members again.

H_T_R_N
Premium
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

Change is good brother!
If it wasn't for change, we'd be driving AMC Gremlins, eating Goober Peanut Butter/Jelly, wearing polyester, doing the Hustle & still loading floppies.

What was wrong the the Gremlins?
--
Hey retard, a Low Frequency Effects Channel is a subwoofer.

Guess who?

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ
reply to carpetshark3
It never moved from under 'Members'. It was available at the bottom in addition for a long time; now it's at the top right if you click your name.

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
First change - it went under members. Then about a week ago it was on the bottom of the page in the blue area until the day before yesterday.
Thanks for telling me where it is now.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
It's been under members for many years.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to H_T_R_N
Everything; but not as ugly as a Pacer or a Matador

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
reply to battleop
I see they're following along with the trends that so many other websites have been following lately. Specifically, sticking the logout link under a username drop-down menu in the top-right corner. How original...

chip89
Premium
join:2012-07-05
Independence, OH

1 recommendation

reply to battleop
If any layout you should be complaining about it should be YouTubes what a miss the layout is on that site!

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to battleop
How do you go to the last post in a thread?

There used to be an "e" in the list of pages (1 2 3 e) that you could click. It appears to be gone now.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
The arrow in the right column.

battleop

reply to dmagerl
I don't know if that was fixed. In the past you could click on a 3 or e and you would get a page not found. Often when there was just a single page of posts you would see more "pages" listed than there really were.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to chip89
said by chip89:

If any layout you should be complaining about it should be YouTubes what a miss the layout is on that site!

Yeah, I complain about YouTube's layout all the time, and the way things are going, I don't think I'm about to stop any time soon.

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

I see they're following along with the trends that so many other websites have been following lately. Specifically, sticking the logout link under a username drop-down menu in the top-right corner. How original...

I, too, want the websites I visit to put things in weird locations because it's "original".

Things like that aren't supposed to be original, they're supposed to be intuitive.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

dmagerl
Premium
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL
reply to tmpchaos
The arrow in the right column takes you to the last page, not to the last post.

Yeah, I know I'm being picky, but I'm lazy.
Expand your moderator at work

GlennAllen
Premium
Richmond, VA
reply to Anon

Re: [Rant] DSLReports...

Technically, I'd categorize this topic as feedback related to recent and ongoing changes to the site. Justin has asked for feedback, though not necessarily for it to be posted here, still... here it is.

TheMG
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Weirdal
said by Weirdal:

said by TheMG:

I, too, want the websites I visit to put things in weird locations because it's "original".

Things like that aren't supposed to be original, they're supposed to be intuitive.

I'm not saying they should put it in a weird counter-intuitive place.

But it doesn't necessarily need to hide inside a menu the title of which happens to be your username.

That's what I was referring to.

IIRC I think it's Facebook that started the whole username-menu thing, then all the other major websites started following along. Or was it Google that started it? Anyways...

battleop

reply to Johkal
"Change is good brother!"

Sounds like you are in sales...

battleop

reply to tmpchaos
Hell I can't stay logged in. I have to relog in 3 or 4 times a day. This site can't seem to deal with people who read the site from multiple devices and browsers.
--

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to battleop
only quirk I have seemed to have noticed is before when I used to click on a topic and click back it would mark the topic as read off my list. What that did for us guys in direct is it means we read it but needed no further action, thus it would be marked off the list for us (drops off) now I have to hit "stop following" which can get difficult as I won't see the topic if it's replied to.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to battleop
I like the changes except for one. All threads now have the arrow to the far right of the page that used to take you to the last post you read...now all it does is take you to the last page. Appears it no longer wants to remember where you left off in a thread, and makes it appear I have read every thread on this site.

Would be nice if that was put back the way it was. But other than that...thumbs up for all the work put into this site!
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Co-Lead Mod
Hoboken, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Click for full size
There are two types of arrows now, that also depend on whether you're using a light theme or dark. On a light theme, the traditional blue arrow will take you to unread posts by time. The grey arrow takes you to end of thread. On a dark theme, the arrows are reversed- grey is time, blue is end.
--
***ATMFAQ***DIFAQ***Kitchen Sink***

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
Thank you! Your right. For whatever reason I never noticed this.
I like it!

Thanks for pointing that out tmpchaos!