Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop

Re: [Rant] DSLReports...

My PCs have no problem. I don't have my phones/tablets stay logged in for security concerns(running on varied networks), but merely have them store the password. Maybe try that if staying logged in isn't working.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

I don't store passwords, or stay logged in on any site. Just for ornery's sake.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I don't see any changes that are hinky. Why do you feel "forced" to read reveiws? Just don't click on them! I also don't know what you mean about "you can't tell who is replying to who". I don't find that to be the case?

Log out in upper right corner. No big deal, works for me.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

On some of my devices they take up the entire "page" when viewing. On others they take up half the page. In the past they were on the right side of the page in a non intrusive location.

On the threaded replies... If you click on a "story" on the main page you get a threaded view similar to how News Groups used to work. In other forums it's a Web Forum view that more often than not confuses users as to who they are replying to which leads to replies to comments that you didn't make.

"Log out in upper right corner. No big deal, works for me." This goes along with my second statement above. I didn't gripe about the logout button.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to battleop

MVM

to battleop
Never been in sales.
I like change as long as it isn't for the worse. But of course "worse" is an interpretation that is debatable; hence this thread.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
said by battleop:

On some of my devices they take up the entire "page" when viewing. On others they take up half the page. In the past they were on the right side of the page in a non intrusive location.

On the threaded replies... If you click on a "story" on the main page you get a threaded view similar to how News Groups used to work. In other forums it's a Web Forum view that more often than not confuses users as to who they are replying to which leads to replies to comments that you didn't make.

"Log out in upper right corner. No big deal, works for me." This goes along with my second statement above. I didn't gripe about the logout button.

No, you didn't gripe about the logout button. My comment was generic, for those who did. Too lazy to type two posts.

I'd swear there used to be a way to change how the replies were nested, somewhere in preferences. Maybe I'm dreaming or maybe the choice is no longer available, but you might want to snoop around and see if you can find it.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Yea, it was flat or text. Something like that...

battleop

battleop to La Luna

to La Luna
There was.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna

Premium Member

Is the choice gone?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Nope, it's still in Prefs/ Topics view default

battleop

battleop

I just tried all four choices and none of them changed anything.

Domane
Premium Member
join:2013-04-18

Domane to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Nothing is perfect and there are all ways both pros and cons to change. Overall I definitely like the changes. Both in terms of what you see and even more important some changes you don't see but have as much or more impact on members than the changes that are visible.

Just my two-cents worth.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Did you see the new button at the top of this thread? It's not on all threads...evidently just busy ones.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
About the logout button - I never looked in members. Have no reason to. It was on the bottom of the page.

BG5150
join:2008-08-14
New York, NY

BG5150 to battleop

to battleop
What's on YouTube other than funny cat videos and skaters smashing their nuts on handrails?
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

said by BG5150:

What's on YouTube other than funny cat videos and skaters smashing their nuts on handrails?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ZqxoyLMQ

Bruschi
Premium Member
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod

Bruschi to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
wtf is this shit every day some new crap! when will people learn some things are best left alone.

Changes
@optonline.net

1 recommendation

Changes

Anon

Argued with Justin many times in the past about changes he made. Bottom line is it's his site, and if he likes it, it happens. Result is that I don't visit very much anymore.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

Cthen

Premium Member

You are very correct in that, he does not give a shit about the people who actually make the site happen.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Why did they do this?!?!?!?

I wrote a post and then realized I had forgotten something, I look for the "edit" link and can't find it. Guess what, it's under the "actions" link now.

So now, the edit option is one extra mouse click, and 3-4 seconds wait time while the little menu thing loads.

What was wrong with having the edit link where it was before?

Again, decreased usability for the sake of a "cleaner" look.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
You guys want some whine with that cheese?

The site looks great! And is functioning just fine. OMG, the edit button is "one extra mouse click"!!! Third world problems.

This site looks better and works better than any of that precoded garbage out there.
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

2 edits

TheMG

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

OMG, the edit button is "one extra mouse click"!!! Third world problems.

If you had a connection as slow as I do (satellite internet with very high latency), you'd understand how much of a pain in the rear it can be to have things hidden inside Ajax menus, instead of a simple one-click link like it was before.

Anything I click that isn't coded right into the page (needs to load from the server) takes several seconds to open.

For you, it's probably near-instant when you click the "actions" link, but for me it takes several seconds to open.

My point is, why are they using Ajax for something as simple as a couple of menus? Why not code it right into the page, so it is instant?

GlennLouEarl
3 brothers, 1 gone
Premium Member
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

GlennLouEarl to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

You guys want some whine with that cheese?

Did you say that backwards on purpose?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
So your hands are in perfect shape? No arthritis, thumb swelling and pain, or any problems whatsoever? That's great for you. What about those for whom excessive, completely unnecessary clicks aggravate painful problems? There are WAY TOO MANY clicks here now. This silly hiding of the edit button is just one of many that make it much less enjoyable to use this site.

Fx 17ESR will not show your post automatically if you use mini post. Fx 4 will as will SeaMonkey 2.20 but you have to be on XP Pro (doesn't work right on Windows 8). Opera is erratic about it ....sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. So, an extra mouse click, either after you post to refresh the page so you can see your post, or an extra click to bypass minipost to get to regular post. AND THAT STUPIDITY IS WITH EVERY SINGLE POST YOU MAKE. Minipost should NOT have been made default.

There are countless ways now where I have to make extra mouse clicks here. I just had 4 EXTRA CLICKS just to make this post.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Then use a browser that works - I have Firefox 18.0.2 and have never had to use any more clicks than before, to post.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

fourboxers to TheMG

Mod

to TheMG
The edit link is back for as long as the edit window is open, then it magically disappears.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Fx 17.0.8 ESR IS SUPPORTED by Mozilla until around Dec 1 at which time Fx 24 ESR will be automatically pushed to users. You don't feel that Enterprise users have a right to have their browser work properly here? That's an odd position to take. As I said, even ancient Fx 4 that I still have my old XP Pro machine works properly here. It's just the current Enterprise version on Windows 8 Pro that doesn't work right here. It could be something to do with Win 8. Maybe Fx 17 ESR works properly here on Win 7. I don't know.

As for extra clicks, OF COURSE you have an extra click! EVERYONE ON ALL BROWSERS now has an extra click to get to full reply window.

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to battleop

to battleop
One thing I hate now is the "Now Reading" section.

All that shows up in there are old posts that cannot be replied to.

So much so that I am now in the habit of checking the post date before I read further.

I had too many occasions to get interested in the thread, find a possible solution to post, and then get the message that the thread is closed.

I suppose it is useful to some but not me.

Blob

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to battleop

Premium Member

to battleop
I'm starting to get PO'ed at the constant changes here too~~

Just last week my CoolPreviews extension was messed up ,only on this site.

Then the attachments for posts work or show up when they want to......and now none of my browsers keep the login info for here.

Why change things just for the sake of change...............leave it alone!!!
TheMG
Premium Member
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

said by ZZZZZZZ:

Then the attachments for posts work or show up when they want to

I noticed that too, and thought it was due to my slow internet connection, but apparently not!

Another weird problem I've been noticing is sometimes when typing up a post, every now and then it will ignore my typing for 2 or 3 seconds. Almost like the browser stops responding, but it is not the browser since other tabs at the same time don't do this. Same thing in both FF and IE, only on DSLReports. This has been going on for a couple of weeks at least (started about the same time as all these site changes).

I think it may be the script that checks periodically for new posts, worsened by the fact that my connection is so slow. But I haven't yet investigated to find out if that what's causing it.