spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rcowen
join:2012-10-31
Farmington, MI

rcowen

[TV] Chromecast device and DCX-3510M on an HDMI automatic switch

I'm getting a new Chromecast device and want to put in on my TV that has only one HDMI input. I already have a Motorola DCX-3510M DVR recorder attached to the one HDMI input. There are numerous HDMI switches that cost $15 and up. They all claim to switch automatically to the powered device but also have a manual switch in case a device still continues to send a powered signal even when turned off. Does anyone know whether the Motorola DCX-3510M continues to send a signal when powered off?

thank you in advance,

Bob
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

Re: [TV] Chromecast device and DCX-3510M on an HDMI automatic sw

Bob good question and I'm looking for an answer for you.
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
I won't be able to answer this until Monday....actually going to check for you but need to have one our guys in MI check it in the lab. Thanks for being patient.
waternut1313
join:2013-06-13
Orlando, FL

waternut1313 to rcowen

to rcowen
OP-I have one of the switchers on my tv. One thing you should know is the chromecast will always be broadcasting a signal. So the switcher is always going to be switching to the chromecast,you will have to manually switch it to your cable box. This is at least what my switcher is doing with my chromecast.
rcowen
Farmington, MI

rcowen

I think that I heard that the HDMI switcher input plugs have a built-in priority. If the first one is powered-up, then it takes priority. Thus the Chromecast "should" be shown only IF it's in the second plug, the cable box is off and does not continuously send a powered signal.

I have a lot of fingers and toes crosses on this one.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
My question is how did you get a Chromecast unit so fast without paying the outrageous prices I was seeing for a $35.00 device?
rcowen
Farmington, MI

rcowen

I ordered it within an hour of announcement directly from Google. I don't have it yet but UPS should be delivering later this week. The unit came with a coupon for 3 free months of Netflix so the net price to me is $11. The Netflix coupon codes are all gone now but it was a great deal while it lasted.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
Oh okay because I know I ordered mine and it wasn't going to be here for several days and I had no intention of paying some of the prices I was seeing on the net.

DanG1974
join:2005-06-26
Saint Petersburg, FL

DanG1974

Best Buy stores had them in stock on launch as well. I'm sure they're gone by now.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
So I only have two TVs, one is my HTPC and the other has a Logitech review hooked up to it, but the gadget geek in me "needs" one of these at only $35. I suppose it would be great to just carry around and use it when at a friend's house or something...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

said by telijah:

So I only have two TVs, one is my HTPC and the other has a Logitech review hooked up to it, but the gadget geek in me "needs" one of these at only $35. I suppose it would be great to just carry around and use it when at a friend's house or something...

Yea I don't need it...just want it besides I know you guys will get them and guess who gets to support you
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to DanG1974

Premium Member

to DanG1974
said by DanG1974:

Best Buy stores had them in stock on launch as well. I'm sure they're gone by now.

At $35 or $79 which is what I saw them on the web for?

DanG1974
Saint Petersburg, FL

DanG1974

They're $35 everywhere, that's the MSRP.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
Check amazon there were several selling them for $79

DanG1974
Saint Petersburg, FL

DanG1974

That's private sellers marking up the prices, not Amazon itself. I'm sure eBay also has higher priced Chromecasts now that all retail places are sold out. The demand is great for these right now.

TURBO1112
join:2010-04-28
Dade City, FL

TURBO1112

Got one from amazon when they were $35.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
Yea I see it now...but sold out....when I originally looked when the pre announcement came out they were selling for $79.00 which was just lame...I didnt want to wait 3 weeks...but had no choice...mine is coming though...
waternut1313
Orlando, FL

waternut1313

Gary, call your local best buy,My best buy had like 15 of them just sitting on the shelf. They have the nexus 7 units also.
WinstonFl
join:2003-11-01
Deltona, FL

WinstonFl to rcowen

to rcowen
I ordered one through Amazon Saturday night for $35 w/ prime. Sold out though. I saw some partner sellers over $100. What a rip! We'll see how long it takes to get. I see Google Play says 3/4 weeks. Boo!

geo44
join:2013-03-20
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

Does anyone know if this can be used with BHTV app?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
Um no clue...I won't be able to tell ya until its in my hot little hands.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

said by BHNtechXpert:

Um no clue...I won't be able to tell ya until its in my hot little hands.

Just dont melt it
Ill wait till I hear if it works before I order one.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
Okay based on what I know of the Chromecast the answer to the BHTV App question would be no.
waternut1313
Orlando, FL

waternut1313 to geo44

to geo44
It does not. The apps have to have chrome cast support. The only apps I know that support it is Netflix,YouTube,Google play music,and you can stream your computer chrome browser on your tv.

geo44
Saint Petersburg, FL

geo44

Thats rather limited. Ill hold off till more apps are supported.
Maybe by next year...
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to waternut1313

Premium Member

to waternut1313
said by waternut1313:

It does not. The apps have to have chrome cast support. The only apps I know that support it is Netflix,YouTube,Google play music,and you can stream your computer chrome browser on your tv.

This is correct...
BHNtechXpert

BHNtechXpert to geo44

Premium Member

to geo44
said by geo44:

Thats rather limited. Ill hold off till more apps are supported.
Maybe by next year...

Yes it is actually thats why its so cheap.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
After reading more on this, I am fully convinced I need to get one of these for my parents. It seems to be a very simple solution for my non-tech savvy parents to get content streamed from their PC/laptops to the TV, which has always been a nightmare to do in the past for them.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rcowen

Premium Member

to rcowen
Provided they have an App that supports Chromecast then yes it will work...this is the problem...they dont have a ton of support yet.
rcowen
Farmington, MI

rcowen

very comprehensive review in today's WSJ by Walter Mossberg: »allthingsd.com/20130730/ ··· omecast/

There is also a very active forum dedicated to Chromecast at Android Central. I suspect that many technical questions and additional capabilities will be posted here:
»forums.androidcentral.co ··· omecast/