Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tomatosan
Premium
join:2010-04-29
Mastic, NY

Wireless network design that includes Monitoring

Just looking for general wireless network design that takes into account a monitor like nagios. trying to improve our current design if possible. Links, intuition I will take anything. Tried to scan through the ton of documents you folks have and got a little overwhelmed.

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:2

2 recommendations

There isn't much to incorporating network monitoring into any network. It's one of the things that is thought of during the design phase but really isn't a key player, at least in my experience.

You can look at it this way: you can pretty much be assured that no matter what your design (as long as it is configured correctly in the end) is, you can pretty easily drop in Nagios or whatever you like in order to keep tabs on things.
--
"Treat your men as you would your own beloved sons. And they will follow you into the deepest valley." -Sun Tzu

Semaphore
Premium
join:2003-11-18
kudos:1
reply to tomatosan
IMHO the gear you choose will largely determine the suitability of the monitoring application(s) you'll use. But.....

The Dude, Nagi, SolarWinds, Smokeping, AirControl... there are dozens of them some vendor specific some not.

Use SNMP, SNMP-Trap, Syslog, ICMP. As well as application specific probes (HTTP, DNS, SMTP Etc) to monitor service/services. It's helpful to be PHP/PERL/CURL proficient but not necessary.

You should have at least two NMS Servers in diverse locations so as to monitor each other as well as the network.

You want to have at least two methods of paging/alerting, one of which should be independent of your infrastructure.

S

Edit : Me thinks English as a second language ???