spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ddorato
Premium
join:2012-06-18

[Northeast] 500/100 Not Available in a 300/65 Area?

So I dutifully called Verizon to get the 500/100 plan and they say its not available in my area. Currently I have the 300/65 plan and wondering why the 500/100 wouldn't be available?

Not moaning per say, but more curious about the technical reasons why.

Thx guys!

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Lack of uplink bandwidth on the OLT apparently. I don't think it would be a very hard thing to upgrade but probably will take time before most areas are upgraded. I can get 300/65 as well (currently have two 150/65) and 500/100 isn't available for me either.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

ddorato
Premium
Thats actually what Verizon offered me... But the bonding I assume must be done on the router.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ddorato
Welcome to DSL circa 1996 all over again! Ok, well maybe it's not that bad, but Verizon is now caught behind the 8-ball because Cablevision did their upgrades and Verizon can't (or won't) offer much in response yet.. Wait until it's Comcast and the rest of the overlapping markets.

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ddorato
Click for full size
Not avail here either

ddorato
Premium
Wonder why Verizon is offering it as it seems a good portion of their base can't get it.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
Premium
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Cricket Broadband
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ddorato
This option has only been out for a week, I would call the local business office and ask if an engineer can review your area setup.
If you can order up 2 or 3 separate 150/65 or 300/65 connections, there isn't any reason to not allow 500/100, unless they still need to light up some dark fiber, and add more splitters to the serving FDH.

Also, they would probably need some time to balance the splitters, because 500/100 is "beyond" a power user tier, and if there are only 5 users on a splitter all hammering down at 500Mbps, you would saturate the entire 2.4Gbit downstream GPON path.

Better to give it some time, instead of hastily hanging 500/100 users on any available GPON port, and creating a bottleneck.

--
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

fiBer

@verizon.net
said by KA3SGM:

This option has only been out for a week, I would call the local business office and ask if an engineer can review your area setup.
If you can order up 2 or 3 separate 150/65 or 300/65 connections, there isn't any reason to not allow 500/100, unless they still need to light up some dark fiber, and add more splitters to the serving FDH.

Also, they would probably need some time to balance the splitters, because 500/100 is "beyond" a power user tier, and if there are only 5 users on a splitter all hammering down at 500Mbps, you would saturate the entire 2.4Gbit downstream GPON path.

Better to give it some time, instead of hastily hanging 500/100 users on any available GPON port, and creating a bottleneck.

One would assume the company (Verizon) would have already had all things in place prior to announcing they have said service available to the public. It appears to me that they are unprepared to deliver this service. Consumers shouldn't have to call and ask for an engineers input (no offense intended).

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by fiBer :

One would assume the company (Verizon) would have already had all things in place prior to announcing they have said service available to the public. It appears to me that they are unprepared to deliver this service. Consumers shouldn't have to call and ask for an engineers input (no offense intended).

It's all lip service. As long as they can advertise that they have a faster top tier than Comcast or whoever, they win that d*-measuring contest(regardless if only 5 people can get it).

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
reply to ddorato

FiOS Internet Plans in 17015 as of 7/30/2013
It is available in *SOME* places...

More particularly, it's available in my area (outside Mechanicsburg, PA):

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to ddorato
I just talked to a friend who is senior tech in Jersey and he assures me that the area Im in will have this service available within 30 days. Verizon just announced 500/100 less then two weeks ago so Im amazed at all the negative comments thus far. You name me one Company, that had universal availability, within their footprint when a higher speed was available?

Thats right, you can't because If you follow the other forums for OOL, Comcast, etc, none of them could offer the higher speeds immediately on day 1 for their entire user base.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Google still blows them away for bandwidth prices. That's my main complaint.

RolteC
0h

join:2001-05-20
Fresh Meadows, NY
Until Verizon changes their technology and goes the Google route, speeds will never be symmetrical again. And good luck with anything past 500Mbit without XGPON deployment. Prices will remain high to not allow for saturation of PON cards/OLT's is it?
This is what I believe.

jarablue
Always be true to yourself

join:2001-06-11
Boxborough, MA
reply to ddorato
I wish the price was less. I would definitely subscribe. Price is the only thing keeping me from doing it.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to RolteC
said by RolteC:

And good luck with anything past 500Mbit without XGPON deployment. Prices will remain high to not allow for saturation of PON cards/OLT's is it?
This is what I believe.

Damn right. Why else would Verizon be concerned about high bandwidth usage but then introduce a new higher speed tier over the 300mbps tier?

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bohratom
IIRC, Cablevision had 50, 100 and 300 megabits available for all customers in their primary footprint (the one that exists today after the western assets sale). It does go without saying that the bigger the footprint, the more difficult to do... IE Comcast. Verizon's footprint is about 1/3 Comcasts, and Cablevision's is 1/5th Verizon's (wireline) (estimates).

This would hurt Verizon's rep. more if it were a service people wanted and could afford.. since both aren't reality, it doesn't matter as much. If the 500/100 costs less than $100 a month.. yeah... big PR problem..

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to ddorato
500/100 is more power user / small business / tel-commuter type of option and at the rates are rather good when you compare it to pricing business customers receive for similar levels of service.
--
Add a signature here

mig288
Premium
join:2002-07-13
Cherry Hill, NJ
I couldn't agree more! These prices are in line with what businesses paid for T-1 lines (minus the SLA's).

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

IIRC, Cablevision had 50, 100 and 300 megabits available for all customers in their primary footprint (the one that exists today after the western assets sale).

U should visit the Optimum Online forum and see how things are working out...

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to ddorato
said by ddorato:

Wonder why Verizon is offering it as it seems a good portion of their base can't get it.

Advertising, PR, bragging rights, to pump up interest in fios at the customer level.
Most people installed/ before during 2007 will still be on BPON, Verizon claims installs later than 2007 are 100% GPON.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ScrawnyB
Your DSLR page says you have a BPON ONT.
I'm curious
when was your install date?
has your ONT been changed?
are you or someone you know in the area planning to upgrade?
or have called to see what they say the timeline is?

My assumption is it is offered in places where the CO equipment is GPON even if you home is not.

houkouonchi

join:2002-07-22
Ontario, CA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by ddorato:

Advertising, PR, bragging rights, to pump up interest in fios at the customer level.
Most people installed/ before during 2007 will still be on BPON, Verizon claims installs later than 2007 are 100% GPON.

That is totally not true. I bought my house 3 years ago (2010) and I was on BPON. I even had them add a second ONT (business) and that was also BPON. I actually had to get them to move to GPON in like 2011 and it took like 6 months and hours and hours on the phone to get done.
--
300/150 mbit Bonded Verizon FiOS connection FTW!

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
My current install last year is GPON. Previously in 2010 that install was BPON.

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to houkouonchi
That doesn't surprise me I thought we were hearing BPON well after 2007, but V's fios history page says 2007.
I assumed some rollout's equipment was ordered but not installed until a little later, but 2010-11 is pushing it pretty hard. even suggesting the CO's went GPON in 07 seems weird if they kept hanging BPON ONT's for 3 years.
but a lot of fios has been pre-announced/ hype and then race to match the press release.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
What they mean is that any new builds done after 2007 were done with GPON. BPON is still viable for a very large percentage of customers, so no reason to toss that investment.

I've got 75/35 service on BPON, and it's splendid.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
I just got FiOS installed in my new apartment. Ordered 150/65 service and got myself a desktop ONT within the Acatel enclosure. Also got myself a new cable box and a new Rev I. ActionTec router.

But I think I will be dropping to the 75/35 service as the wireless sucks from it; I see about 15 other AP's; I am not home to enjoy it. But at least I got the latest and greatest ...

I do however have the other two options available, 300/65 and 500/100. I checked my parents house and they too have those other packages available. I am sure it will spread around, but the price, that isn't going to change any time soon.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Is Ethernet an option for any of your devices?

Most all of my devices (except my phone & tablet) are hard-wired for exactly that reason.

RolteC
0h

Fresh Meadows, NY
At the moment, I could run a short 10 foot cat6 to my laptop. The ONT/ActionTec are literally next to my couch. As for a Smart TV that is being talked about for the neat future, I would have to run a cable either under or over the baseboard to the wall. Guess its not that big of a problem.

I was use to the 300Mbit N speeds at my parents place - speed tests always showed around 90 down, 69 up on wireless.

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Your DSLR page says you have a BPON ONT.
I'm curious
when was your install date?
has your ONT been changed?
are you or someone you know in the area planning to upgrade?
or have called to see what they say the timeline is?

My assumption is it is offered in places where the CO equipment is GPON even if you home is not.

That is correct, I'm on the 50/25 using the BPON ONT, which was installed last year when I moved to my new place (install was something like 7/8/12)

I was planning on 150/65 up until they jacked the price up by almost $40/month. I was planning on dropping my TV and going 150/65 only for around $100/month, but now its close to $140 without a contract.

I highly doubt anyone here in my immediate area (5 mile radius?) is on anything but 50/25 or slower... maybe one or two 75/35's if they exist in this area.
Expand your moderator at work