share rss forum feed

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
kudos:1

Albany, GA. Digital transition

looks just like the junk mail they have been sending

got to love the short notice

got the letter to day (all most threw it away, it looks just like their junk mail), now, i coulda swore we where told that a box would not be required, but this leads me to believe other wise. in particulare.
quote:
you must take action to ensure all TVs in your home are equipped to receive the digital signal. This includes newer, digital-ready TVs.

so i at least would like some clarification here, are they or arent they? AND in the fine print

quote:
limit one HD DTA per account

im sorry what? i have 2 hd lcd's, right now i can get clear qam hd digitial on both, are you telling me that after the switch i have to pick one or the other to get hd?

also as it stands with clear qam i can remove channels from my tv, will i be able to do that with the DTA's? and right now i can set my dvd recorder to flip channels and record just like an old vcr, im guessing if the DTA's are required now that id have to hook that in to the dvd recorder to change channels, will it have "vcr timers" or will i be forced over to a dvr? (which i refuse to do)

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:117

1 edit
If your LCD TV's have QAM tuners then you won't need a box or adapter. The QAM tuner is already an analog to digital converters. That being said, if these are the devices using your DVD recorder to flip channels and record you should have no issues.

**Edit - Sorry guys, this was bad info. A box IS required in this area following the digital transition. If you have any additional questions please let me know!**

thedragonmas

Albany, GA
ok, sorry its just the part " This includes newer, digital-ready TVs." leads one to believe that youd need a box no matter the tv, since most people associate "digital ready" to mean tv's with QAM tuners..

im also assuming based on that that there will be some channel shifting going around? will the channel lineup on mediacomtoday change before the channels switch or after?

i ask because here at least we have upwards of 3 copys of channels in the digital portion, usually an "sd" version and an HD version, no idea whats with the 3rd copy in some cases.

k9iua6

join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA
I suspect the phrase is a catch-all, as the early generation of digital TVs didn't necessarily include a QAM tuner, or didn't include a convenient "-" button on the remote. At the same time, getting people to rent a box (1) allows users to continue using the same channel numbers as before and (2) allows promotion of On-Demand usage for those who get more than a DTA.

You will want to scan channels multiple times through the transition, as they may not cutover every thing at once. In Dubuque, the transition took several weeks, as they did blocks of channels at a time.

Whiznot

join:2005-08-23
Albany, GA
I'm in Albany, GA and also received the misleading email about the transition. I believe customers are being purposely mislead so that Mediacom can rent more hardware. It's reassuring to read that Iowa has gone through the transition without affecting clear QAM reception.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to thedragonmas
Once the conversion is completed, check the lineup here :»mediacomtoday-lineup.com/lineup/···ees.aspx as this will have the most up to date information.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
reply to k9iua6
Did anyone notice that HD-DTA's are REAL and will be soon available??
Good buy $10.50 box rental and Hello $1.99 rental!

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
reply to MediacomChad
Chad, Do you have a time table for the HD-DTA's for Iowa?

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
reply to Whiznot
Mediacom could be encrypting all the channel's (except for BB) as they say you need an SD-DTA or an HD-DTA for ALL TV's
MediacomChad can clarify

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
reply to IowaMan
Unfortunately not at this time.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to IowaMan
said by IowaMan:

Did anyone notice that HD-DTA's are REAL and will be soon available??
Good buy $10.50 box rental and Hello $1.99 rental!

Yes I'm aware because you keep bringing them up. It has been "soon" for you for a couple of years now. This is actually not a future we want if we can help it (with all channels being encrypted, especially HD), so don't keep asking Mediacom or others to bring it on.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
Sorry….I just meant to say that most of the time up until now they weren't "confirmed" by mediacom and now they are I am looking at my pocketbook yet want to have the HD channels so for me this will be worth waiting for As I will save at least five or six dollars a month on my bill The only reason why the channels are encrypted now HD is because of content providers request that

informerguy

@mchsi.com
reply to IowaMan
Eventually, which is nice and vague - you will need an adapter/dct on every tv you want hooked to cable as family will be encryted

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit
reply to MediacomChad
Looks like I had a bit of miscommunication here. In this area family will be encrypted so you will need a digital box/DTA

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
said by MediacomChad:

Looks like my team had a bit of miscommunication here. In this area family will be encrypted so you will need a digital box/DTA

Why the change? Is this a sign of what is going to be Mediacom's method in all market areas?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
There are a lot of reasons for the change, but one of the major ones is it will cut down on truck rolls for changes and allow us to free up technicians to work on different issues that are customer impacting. I don't have any documentation that this is the plan in the future in other markets but as we continue to work and see how things go, we will try to work out what is best for the customer and what works well and what doesn't.
--
MediacomChad
»mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/

Whiznot

Albany, GA
What do you say to people who relied on your assurance that clear QAM reception will still work who then purchased equipment like HD Homerun networked TV tuners that are now useless?

Not receiving the truth hurts worse than the change. I'm looking for alternatives to all Mediacom services.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
At the time the clearQAM was working, unfortunately other circumstances have forced this change. I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Is this going to be in other markets such as Iowa?

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL
Hey Iowaman,

At this time I don't know of other plans for this to happen in other markets.

Whiznot

Albany, GA

1 recommendation

reply to thedragonmas
There are going to be thousands of Mediacom customers in the Albany area who never order the needed DTAs. The source of mass confusion is due to the fact that Albany is a test case and online information from Mediacom about digital conversion says that people with digital ready sets do not need DTAs. I know many people who throw away junk mail from Mediacom who also never visit forums.

Mediacom, prepare yourself for a major disaster in the Albany market.

thedragonmas

Albany, GA
reply to MediacomChad
said by MediacomChad:

Looks like I had a bit of miscommunication here. In this area family will be encrypted so you will need a digital box/DTA

so then, the dta's ARE required? then i go back to my previous question about the "limit 1 hd dta per account" because if that is the case, im sorry, mediacom will be going bye bye from my house. because limiting my service and billing me for the "privilege" when i can currently get clear qam hd on all of my tvs, is frankly B.S.

Whiznot

Albany, GA
reply to thedragonmas
I plan to use the joke DTAs for a few weeks my longer range plan is either to switch to Dish Network or buy an HD Homerun Prime + CableCard to replace my HD Homerun Dual that needs clear QAM.

I'm kind of afraid to purchase equipment that relies on CableCard because of a bill that the cable industry is trying to push through congress right now. There is an ArsTechnica article, "TiVo, media center PC makers alarmed by CableCard-cutting bill" that potentially ties all cable viewers to overpriced provider hardware.

The cable industry and congress are nothing but thieves.

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
Because... it is all about $$$$$ and LOTS of it!

IowaMan
Premium
Grinnell, IA
reply to thedragonmas
Only on the HD the locals though
ESPN is NOT in HD via clear QAM

thedragonmas

Albany, GA
reply to Whiznot
said by Whiznot:

I plan to use the joke DTAs for a few weeks my longer range plan is either to switch to Dish Network or buy an HD Homerun Prime + CableCard to replace my HD Homerun Dual that needs clear QAM.

yeah, after taking a few deep calming (yeah right) breaths im thinking about doing similare, getting their boxes just because i dont want dad goin with out tv (71, stuck in bed most of the time) then in a few months switch to one of the sats, im leaning toward directv (i like how they actually show the NONE promo price on their website so your not trying to pull that out of them like pulling teeth from a gater!)

sure, sat requires a box ill grant you, but at least that box includes HD and DVR, where as mediacom is extra. then theres the whole 100+ channels for the same price is "family"

i wonder how many other folks here are doing the same math because of this..

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
HD and DVR are not standard on either dish, those are extra fees too.

Satellite isn't nearly as cheap as you might think.

GLIMMER

join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL
said by Os:

HD and DVR are not standard on either dish, those are extra fees too.

Satellite isn't nearly as cheap as you might think.

depends on what you call cheap.

yeah the dvr fee is 7 bucks and whole home 3 bucks. But you can have as many dvrs in the house you want. This is Directv I'm talking about.

I pay 124.99 for all there channels thats all the premiums. I have paid the same rate + the price increases which were like 3 bucks for the last 4 yrs.

I have 3 h24 boxs a hr-24 dvr and a hr-34 aka genie. Price all those boxes on mediacom and its out of this world on price.

k9iua6

Dubuque, IA
reply to thedragonmas
I've been thinking about this forced encrypted digital TV that Albany is going to, and I can only think of one technical reason that would require this: that Mediacom, by local laws or franchise requirement, is now being forced to share their hybrid fiber-coax network with competing TV cable providers. If so, then encrypted signals requiring a STB to decode would be the only way to prevent subscribers of one company from seeing the channels provided by the competing company. If cable MSOs are ever forced by states or the Federal government to open up their "last mile" to competitors in the same way that Telcos have to now share DSL in many areas, this is about the only way to do it without everyone having to lay out very expensive duplicate fiber and coax.

A non-technical reason, of course, which a cynic might believe, is that Mediacom has chosen Albany to be the testbed for the forced income stream of renting boxes. I have a hard time imagining this, however, with the investment that MC would need to make in buying all these boxes, that this could a fruitful reason. After all, it could take at least a few years to get back from subscribers the extra money to pay for this capital investment. Especially so if implemented company wide in all market areas.

Whiznot

Albany, GA
reply to thedragonmas
I live in Albany and there is no other cable company other than Mediacom but there was a company that tried to steal Mediacom's signal and resell it.

I think encryption is being tried as a way to prevent cable theft. The poverty rate in SW Georgia is extremely high and there are many who can't afford to eat, much less pay a cable bill. Also, the rent for cable boxes is outrageously high and yields immediate income but the investment in equipment can be capitalized and expensed over time. The downside for Mediacom is defections to satellite and customer ill will.

I'm angry as hell because my HTPC units rely on clear QAM reception by a recently purchased HD Homerun Dual. Because I rely so heavily on my HTPC units, I finally decided the best course of action was to buy an HD Homerun Prime and rent a CableCARD to decrypt.

I'm left with a nagging worry due to the proposed bill in congress called The Consumer Video Device Cost Savings Act which would eliminate the FCC rule that requires cable companies to offer CableCARD. If the proposed law passes it will likely spell doom for Tivo and all HTPCs.