Search similar:

uniqs
BigNTallOne
join:2011-01-25
Mentor, OH

1 edit

BigNTallOne

Ethernet Switch

My gateway usually provides good wireless performance but not always. My DVR is fed by an Ethernet line. I was wondering if adding an Ethernet switch before the DVR would provide good wired internet service to my media center computer without hurting picture quality to the DVR.
Has anyone tried it?
The DVR's Ethernet connection comes from an output of the gateway router.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Yes and Yes. Ethernet is ethernet when it is switched. Assuming you install it using a 100Meg Full Duplex link, the uplink will be faster than your actual Internet connection. The only consideration is how many other STBs you have hanging off the RG. The STBs all get their video feeds from the primary DVR. So all that traffic would have to traverse that uplink as well.
BigNTallOne
Mentor, OH

BigNTallOne

Thanks for responding. Think a cheapie such as:
ZFS3018P 8-Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Switch would suffice? It's unreal cheap (less than $10)

I think I'll answer my own question. It has good reviews at Tiger Direct. I'm gonna try it.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall to BigNTallOne

Premium Member

to BigNTallOne
The Netgear GS105/GS108 are the recommended switches for U-verse when you have TV/Internet on the same line. You risk flooding the network with many other consumer switches.
BigNTallOne
Mentor, OH

BigNTallOne

too late, already bought the cheapie. Works great so far and tv works too. I only have 2 TV's and they are only occasionally on at the same time so I shouldn't get a demand problem.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to BigNTallOne

Premium Member

to BigNTallOne
said by BigNTallOne:

too late, already bought the cheapie. Works great so far and tv works too. I only have 2 TV's and they are only occasionally on at the same time so I shouldn't get a demand problem.

Keep an eye on it. You may be flooding your computer with multicast traffic.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel to BigNTallOne

Premium Member

to BigNTallOne
I have seen problems with the picture freezing/stalling when cascaded behind multiple switches. Home had prerun cat5 to server rack upstairs. Some stb's were behind switches that fed back upstairs to the main switch before finally hitting the rg, others behind routers. Replaced all those switches, and attached the routers as an AP instead of being used as a switch, then took off the cat5 running the stb's off the main switch upstairs to it's own dedicated switch. So after that the tv service and the hsia service was on there own separate switches. Issues cleared right up, this was with six on cat5 and two wireless.