how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

Shaw SMTP authentication failure

Has anyone else had trouble sending mail from their Shaw account using Shaw's default settings from their support page? Receiving mail works fine.

It started 2 days ago and the Shaw support rep is blaming the one computer when the issue spans multiple computers, mail programs and Shaw accounts. The passwords I made sure were correct by logging into webmail with them.

Mac OSX Mail displayed a certificate error on one where the certificate is not valid - domain does not match as well as "535 #5.7.0 Authentication failed"
Thunderbird shows "mail.shaw.ca : server does not support RFC 5746, see CVE-2009-3555" / authentication failed.
Outlook (PC) gives the error "#5.7.0 Authentication failed"

Anyone have any suggestions?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

What port number do you have set for mail.shaw.ca

SSL On or Off? Does it give you an option for which type of encrypted connection? - TLS is what it should be set to.

-Trying to figure out what you have set, maybe I can replicate
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

fan13027

join:2008-10-26
Winnipeg, MB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to nss_tech

I don't use the generic "mail.shaw.ca", I still use the city specific domain name .... even though the document is marked as "OUTDATED" it may be worth a try ...

»community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1052

in your case, try shawmail.ed.shawcable.net as your outgoing server.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to nss_tech

The SMTP server to start was the local one (shawmail.ed.shawcable.net) and that is where the problem started. We switched to mail.shaw.ca and got the authentication error. The third Shaw rep I talked to today basically said mail.shaw.ca is considered as Remote Access regardless of the computer being a desktop and hardwired to a Shaw modem. Once remote access was enabled the errors went away.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

mail.shaw.ca with SSL Off and using Port 25 doesn't require authenication and will function the same as the shawmail. servers

If SSL is on and using Port 587 then you need Remote Access enabled on your account, which is a PITA because some methods work to enable it, sometimes... Othertimes it needs Shaw Support to enable it
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.