All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Karina1980
@suddenlink.net

Karina1980

Anon

what modem is required for 30mbps to 100mbps service on SL?

I need to buy a new cable modem. The one that I have now has a loose power connector that's about to go.

Currently, I only have the slow 15mbps service, but I'd like to upgrade to faster speeds soon. I don't know
what Suddenlink has... 30mbps to 100mbps, perhaps? Is there a good modem that can be somewhat
future-proof and works great on Suddenlink?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Karina1980

Karina1980

Anon

Just want to add to my post above:

My current modem is a Scientific-Atlantic(or something like that)
which was given to me for free by Cox more than 12 years ago,
probably around 2001? I moved to a Suddenlink-only service
area and continued to use the same modem until now. I was told
that it couldn't do more than the current 15mbps that I'm getting.

redxii
Mod
join:2001-02-26
Michigan

redxii to Karina1980

Mod

to Karina1980
You need a modem that supports DOCSIS 3.0.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3 to Karina1980

Premium Member

to Karina1980
The Motorola SB6121 will do the job, but at this point I would go ahead and pony up the extra $10 or so to get the SB6141 to be more future proof. It has the ability to go up to 300+ Mbps. (IIRC, it has 8-channel bonding, vs. 4-channel bonding in the SB6121). Check eBay. Someone has been selling the SB6141 on there for around $70 via Buy It Now.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

That's the main difference as they both have x4 up bonding. But I'm not sure if I would really let that stop me if i found a 6121 at a decent price. It's able to run up over 150 megs, which SL isn't even close to deploying yet. Bottom line, you can consider that a modem has paid for itself in a year if you buy it off the shelf vs renting. So any Docsis 3 modem you buy now will have covered itself and then some by the time you have a NEED for a better one