All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to ArgMeMatey

to ArgMeMatey

Re: Hanging Ceiling Fan

A metal box will do just fine. I've installed who knows how many fans using a metal box and all are just as secure today as they were when they were installed at least 20 years ago.

I've found fans installed with the plastic and bake lite boxes that have been in place for years. I did swap those out just to be safe.
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

That's why I changed out a couple of the ones we have, I didn't like them being on the plastic boxes.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

1 recommendation

whizkid3 to battleop

MVM

to battleop
Click for full size

said by battleop:

A metal box will do just fine.

This is poor advice. Using a box that is not rated for a ceiling fan is not code-compliant anywhere the NEC is used (everywhere in the USA). Fans installed with 'any metal box' have ripped out and injured people as well as started fires. But you will save a few dollars. See photos for what could happen using a box not rated for fan support. When ceiling fans are mounted to standard fixture boxes, the forces and vibration eventually causes the bent mounting ears to break off at the least.
quote:
Ceiling Fan Boxes: Outlet boxes used as the sole support of a ceiling-suspended (paddle) fan must be listed and marked as suitable for this purpose. If the maximum weight isn't marked on the box, it is allowed to support a fan up to 35 lb. If the box is marked with a weight, it can support a fan up to that weight, but not more than 70 lb. Ceiling paddle fans more than 70 lb must be supported independently of the outlet box [314.27(C)].
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

1 edit

2 recommendations

54067323 (banned)

said by whizkid3:

This is poor advice. Using a box that is not rated for a ceiling fan is not code-compliant anywhere the NEC is used (everywhere in the USA). Fans installed with 'any metal box' have ripped out and injured people as well as started fires.

Yup, nothing like hanging a spinning guillotine from a couple of tabs that only engage maybe 3 threads of the anchoring screws total.

If one is lucky when it comes down it will land on the coffee table mixing the adult beverages with the popcorn and scattering them to and fro, tripping a breaker in the process, putting the room into total darkness past the flash and ruining a Netflix evening with the OL.

Later on after the popcorn from the table and the ceiling has been vacuumed up and while “she” trying to salvage the carpeting from the red wine stains, (a bottle “she” bought), one can hang in the garage setting up a cot or a sleeping bag and ponder the savings and ease of using just any box.