spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cabletech

join:2013-06-30

[Other] Saving money when Naked DSL not available

I am looking to save some money on our monthly bills using VOIP, one problem is I live in Rural Oregon and the local telco coop requires landline service to have DSL. This is the only option(aside from Satellite) for internet as there is no cable plant or FTTH here. My plan was to drop down to BASIC(local exchange only) POTS(~2.25 a month). We would stay at 3mbps DSL for $41.95/mo and drop our ~$11.00/mo Centurylink LD.

The replacement is an OBi110 which will be connected to the POTS for 911, since our local exchange is for a very rural area and no one will be calling us from within our exchange. From there we will use Google Voice with the OBi110.

Our total savings will be around $268 a year. Does this sound worth it and like a viable solution? I really wish we could just go with naked DSL but from what I read there are no regulations requiring it.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:12

Is your POTS line seriously going to be USD $2.25 per month? Even for local exchange only that is an excellent deal that I wish we had here. Since Google Voice does not offer 911, I think those services would complement each other nicely.

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

Hmm. I paid with all taxes and junk fees about $ 25/month for a bare bone POTS line. Sounds too good to be true.
Off course , $ 42 for a 3mbps ( which will be in reality probably more like 1.5) is steep, I pay $ 40 for U verse 6 times as fast, but I guess that's the price for living rural.

cabletech

1 recommendation

reply to cabletech

Basic POTS line is actually $15.00 but since my MIL has SNAP(aka Food Stamps) she qualifies for the Telephone Assistance Program which is a $12.75 discount on the bill. Currently she is paying $22.50 for local exchange, EAS, and 6 calling features.

cabletech

reply to cb14

Actually do pull 3mbps quite well. They offer a 6mbps($56.95) also a 16mbps($66.95) tier as well though it does say not available in all areas.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2864709306

josephf

join:2009-04-26

With lifeline service a POTS line is dirt cheap and most tax/fees are waived.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to Mango

said by Mango:

Is your POTS line seriously going to be USD $2.25 per month? Even for local exchange only that is an excellent deal that I wish we had here. Since Google Voice does not offer 911, I think those services would complement each other nicely.

+1

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to cabletech

said by cabletech:

Basic POTS line is actually $15.00 but since my MIL has SNAP(aka Food Stamps) she qualifies for the Telephone Assistance Program which is a $12.75 discount on the bill. Currently she is paying $22.50 for local exchange, EAS, and 6 calling features.

Even the $15 basic POTS is notably less than in the Bell Canada 'heartland' up here, where it is somewhere between $22 and $25 near where I live, depending upon the size of the municipality.

But given the situation as you explained it, might as well keep the basic POTS.

As for your other features/functions, naturally you could review the want/need for those, depending upon which of them could be reproduced thru VoIP.

You could do a gradual transition of services as you complete your VoIP tests in parallel.

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Nelson, NH

You can get all the advantages of VoIP without having any internet service at all. Just sign up for a Localphone.com account. Then, you can register your POTS number with them. For everyone long distance number (anywhere in the world), localphone will give you a local number for them. $0.005/min for calls in the US, very cheap to western Europe and other places.
--
voip.ms • Flowroute • Anveo • Localphone • CallCentric • GoogleVoice • Asterisk/PIAF • FreeSwitch • csipsimple • Bria • Blink • GXP2200 • Yealink ... All things VoIP!

cb14

join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·callwithus
·localphone.com
·Google Voice
·Callcentric
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

said by w1ve:

You can get all the advantages of VoIP without having any internet service at all. Just sign up for a Localphone.com account. Then, you can register your POTS number with them. For everyone long distance number (anywhere in the world), localphone will give you a local number for them. $0.005/min for calls in the US, very cheap to western Europe and other places.

And not to forget Localphone's INUM- free! Plus services like Local numbers, Callback etc.