share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

[WA] Tomatoes in the cool

I like homegrown tomatoes over store bought ones because they usually taste much better, but the last time I had a good crop was when I lived in Vancouver, and ever since I moved back to the greater Seattle area, the crops are mediocre, at best. I usually get a few fully ripened tomatoes shortly before the season is over, but I have to harvest most of them green, and let them ripen inside the house. Or make chutney or something similar from green tomatoes.

This year I have the following plants, 1 each:
Glacier
Better boy
Sweet 100 Cherry
Roma
Early Girl
Green Zebra (I don't remember buying this... )
Aunt Ruby's German Green (and neither this... )

Apparently, Glacier is by *FAR* the earliest. I had ripe tomatoes off that plant 2 weeks ago! Only problem with that it's very bland, almost tasteless....
None of the others seem to be even close to having one edible fruit.

All plants (3.5") were bought at the same time and within one week when they started selling them.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Do you harvest them green because birds will get at them or is there another reason?

I don't eat tomatoes myself unless they are in liquid form (spaghetti sauce, Pizza sauce...). But when we would grow them birds were a big pest. But I have learned that if I tie strips of plastic bags on the frame, it does a good job keeping birds away.
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to aurgathor
fried green tomatoes -classic southern US dish
My grandmother pan fried thick slices covered in cornmeal,flour(with very little fat,(for her)) and finished it with a little sprinkle of brown sugar and a drizzle of heavy cream which you let boil for a minute.

Awesome sweet- tart crunchy soft.
Also seen the with horseradish cream sauce and shrimp remoulade (creamy spicy) (sp??) in NOLA

Hard to get good green tomatoes except at home or farmers markets, even the roadside guys buy cases of the shipping tomatoes just like the stores that are hardly worth eating.
green tomatoes need to reach that lighter green/almost ripening stage for this kind of dish. I think for pickling the harder green is ok.
Some years (ok MANY years) it's hard to get enough heat for good full size tomatoes here without a green house southside cold frame. most won't set fruit unless you can keep the flowers about 60-65º at night which makes it to late to ripen before frost or late blight gets them.
cherry tomatoes in hanging pots (water, water ,water) on the south side of the house usually works. sweet 100, sweet million (similar) are good red ones.
Something like this, before your choice of sauce

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5oK05Yw7FM

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to aurgathor
quote:
Do you harvest them green because birds will get at them or is there another reason?
If they get a *slightest* frost bite while on the plant, their skin will turn brown and they will spoil very quickly after that. (the plants will die, too)

I have no issues with birds, only with squirrels, but they are not as bad as they were before. (one of the old fart neighbor used to feed them, but he's in a nursing home now, so most of the squirrels either moved away or died out)

quote:
fried green tomatoes -classic southern US dish
I actually made that a few times -- learned of it after seeing the movie.

--
Wacky Races 2012!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
I guess I'll have to move up there and next to you and start feeding the squirrels.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
you can only move here if you'll start eating the squirrels,
they should be tasty after eating all the almonds, hazelnuts, and walnuts from my orchard every year.
squirrels=little gray roof rats

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
We have the brown ones down here and they like to dig up my yard. Especially in the Fall when they are hiding their seeds. And then in the Spring when they are looking for the ones they planted but forgot where that was.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to aurgathor
I'm now getting edible tomatoes off "Sweet 100 Cherry", too, and they actually taste pretty good. Just when the rainy season starts....

I'm kinda surprised that Early Girl is now behind at least 2 others.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
consider a few (dollar store/garage sale)clear umbrellas or the translucent bottom a large Tupperware (dollar store/garage sale) to shield the plants.
The 2 things other then frost the destroys the fruit here when rain hits is too much water (tomato go BOOM!) and the rain splashing the dirt up to the plant/ fruit which spreads all the blights spores(impossible to avoid here) up the plant.
the non translucent part of the tupper (or other plastic) can be cut to form a splash shield, being careful not to block air flow and SOME (controlled) water.
not always pretty but it works