All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
cabletech0
join:2013-06-30

1 recommendation

cabletech0

Re: [Other] Saving money when Naked DSL not available

Basic POTS line is actually $15.00 but since my MIL has SNAP(aka Food Stamps) she qualifies for the Telephone Assistance Program which is a $12.75 discount on the bill. Currently she is paying $22.50 for local exchange, EAS, and 6 calling features.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by cabletech0:

Basic POTS line is actually $15.00 but since my MIL has SNAP(aka Food Stamps) she qualifies for the Telephone Assistance Program which is a $12.75 discount on the bill. Currently she is paying $22.50 for local exchange, EAS, and 6 calling features.

Even the $15 basic POTS is notably less than in the Bell Canada 'heartland' up here, where it is somewhere between $22 and $25 near where I live, depending upon the size of the municipality.

But given the situation as you explained it, might as well keep the basic POTS.

As for your other features/functions, naturally you could review the want/need for those, depending upon which of them could be reproduced thru VoIP.

You could do a gradual transition of services as you complete your VoIP tests in parallel.
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

You can get all the advantages of VoIP without having any internet service at all. Just sign up for a Localphone.com account. Then, you can register your POTS number with them. For everyone long distance number (anywhere in the world), localphone will give you a local number for them. $0.005/min for calls in the US, very cheap to western Europe and other places.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14

said by w1ve:

You can get all the advantages of VoIP without having any internet service at all. Just sign up for a Localphone.com account. Then, you can register your POTS number with them. For everyone long distance number (anywhere in the world), localphone will give you a local number for them. $0.005/min for calls in the US, very cheap to western Europe and other places.

And not to forget Localphone's INUM- free! Plus services like Local numbers, Callback etc.