share rss forum feed

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Why you can't get a nice restaurant reservation in SF

A software programmer wanted to get a dinner reservation at a trendy Fillmore district restaurant but it was booked up in a minute of opening reservations. He finally investigated the timing of the "reservations full" messages and discovered other programmers had been using bots to reserve the seats. So he made a better bot to get reservations and it works. Too bad for us non-programmers though.

»arstechnica.com/business/2013/07···ing-bot/

shinjuru
Premium,Mod
join:2000-10-29
West Coast

1 recommendation

The old fashioned financial incentive discretely exchanged in person, along with a mellow attitude, works more than folks realize.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to PrntRhd

The amount of pretentiousness displayed throughout this article is mind-boggling. There are so many layers/levels of it that it disgusts me. Sad panda koitsu.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by koitsu:

The amount of pretentiousness displayed throughout this article is mind-boggling. There are so many layers/levels of it that it disgusts me. Sad panda koitsu.

The really "hot" ones are sometimes the hardest to deal with on all levels, not just on reservations. There is also competition in online reservation services such as OpenTable.com and urbanspoon.com