spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dreyfus

join:2013-02-18

Netflix spoofing may no longer work with Telus ADSL

Netflix streaming to the PS3 was changed recently to dynamically look for the fastest paths. This has implications for those using services such as unblock-us to work around country restrictions.

The solution is to simply enable static routes for the appropriate dns servers. Unfortunately this is not possible with the Telus-provided routers.

»support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ··· -routers

I am currently with Shaw, and was able to accommodate this change easily. I was considering switching to Telus because of Shaw's September 9% price increase, but unfortunately this issue is a show-stopper.

My guess is that even if the feature is available in all the Telus routers (which apparently is not), not having root level access may prevent that change anyways.

This Netflix change was made in the last week or so.

Gardener
Premium
join:2006-10-19
Burnaby, BC
Drag that old firewall-router out of the junkbox and put it in the DMZ. You can then set static routes for the connected devices. Purists may object to the double NAT but for most purposes it's not a problem.

Darhole
Premium
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
kudos:1
I believe the ol' bridge your gateway and just use static on the router would work just fine too

humanfilth

join:2013-02-14
cyber gutter

1 edit
Click for full size
misspelled telus
It says Telsus and not Telus so things should be good then.

The DNS wars.
Lock out your customers from choosing their preferred DNS supplier. Make big money from mis-spelled domain names by rerouting them to an ad laden portal.
Luckily Telus is a dumb pipe and leaves your traffic alone and you get a proper error message when using a Telus DNS server that doesn't break the Internet.
The Telus supplied gateways are becoming a pain though.

V1000h router unblockus dns guide.
»support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ··· er-guide

--
Human identity is no longer defined by what one does, but by what one owns

Darhole
Premium
Edmonton, AB
At least we can bridge them and run whatever we like, including static routes and alternative dns.

Now if only they would stop being cheap fucks while raising fees and pairing with cogent over internap, we would get somewhere.

Ikarasu

join:2004-01-09
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to Dreyfus
Maybe i'm missing something...

But why don't you goto your Ps3 settings... select manual setup... Enter your routers IP for gateway, pick your own IP for the Ps3, and for DNS settings put the unblock us server?

I'm _Pretty_ sure the PS3 lets you customize DNS settings, It's just doing it at the PS3 level, instead of the router doing it for your whole network. They even have a guide to do it....

»support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ··· g-up-ps3

Telus doesn't FORCE it's DNS, unless I'm mistaken. It just doesn't give you a catch-all way of changing it, but the manual Ps3 way should work.

netfix

@telus.net
It has nothing to do with Telus, aside from the fact, that you can't modify most settings in their locked down routers.

Netflix and/or Sony changed something on the backend wrt to DNS servers and they can now use Public DNS regardless of what you set in your PS3, manual or otherwise.

To get around this you can:
1. Create a DNAT rule to change all DNS lookups, from the PS3 to any DNS server, to hit unblock.us or unotelly or whatever provider you are using.
2. Block via your firewall, the following DNS servers for the PS3: 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 (google), 209.244.0.3/209.244.0.4 (level3), 208.67.222.222/208.67.222.220 (opendns)

I don't use the Actiontec (or any Telus router for that matter) so I don't know if either of those are possible...

annoyingrob

join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB
said by netfix :

It has nothing to do with Telus, aside from the fact, that you can't modify most settings in their locked down routers.

Netflix and/or Sony changed something on the backend wrt to DNS servers and they can now use Public DNS regardless of what you set in your PS3, manual or otherwise.

To get around this you can:
1. Create a DNAT rule to change all DNS lookups, from the PS3 to any DNS server, to hit unblock.us or unotelly or whatever provider you are using.
2. Block via your firewall, the following DNS servers for the PS3: 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 (google), 209.244.0.3/209.244.0.4 (level3), 208.67.222.222/208.67.222.220 (opendns)

I don't use the Actiontec (or any Telus router for that matter) so I don't know if either of those are possible...

If you REALLY know what you're doing, you can ssh into the Actiontec, and manually modify the firewall rules ( It's just running iptables ), but yeah that's not an option for 99.9% of the people out there.

A bridged Actiontec to another user provided router, or for those on =15Mbit plans, a Thompson Speedtouch modem and user provided router are probably your only options.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:22
It still works with UnoTelly on X360,Ipad and PC and I got an V1000H. This might be an PS3 specific issue ?
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Dreyfus

said by Symtex:

It still works with UnoTelly on X360,Ipad and PC and I got an V1000H. This might be an PS3 specific issue ?

Yes, Netflix is testing this out on the PS3 first. If it works, it will probably be extended to other devices.

I am not technical, so I have no clue what everyone above said. But it sounds like too much research and work. With Shaw, I am using my own router, so I just set up 3 direct routes as per unblock-us instructions, and it works.

This may be a good reason to switch to TekSavvy ADSL, because they allow the use of your own router (without going to all the unofficial bridging and trying to find the root password nonsense).

humanfilth

cyber gutter

1 edit
reply to Dreyfus
Some labor intensive and messy..... detailed instructions to block the block that blocks U.S. netflix. Providing you are using a dns/firewall configurable router that the PS3 connects to. Too bad that you have to block preferred DNS providers to do it.

Sure would be nice if the a-holes who keep blocking U.S. access(country specific airing rights) from other countries could be set adrift in the garbage patch of the Pacific ocean.

Possibly with using a router in a access point(bridged so no double nat) configuration, with DD-wrt you should be able to block the IP's of those DNS providers and connect your PS3 to the access point.
»support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ··· er-guide
Under 'access restrictions' and 'wan' and 'website blocking by URL'.
Provided you are using the WAN port as the extender to the lan on your ISP provide gateway.
Providing it also allows for just using a number IP and doesn't need a letter IP only. Letter URL may also work based on how many IP numbers there are for a DNS provider.

»help.unotelly.com/support/soluti ··· es/96831
Netflix recently updated their back end framework to override third-party DNS servers by what looks like a forced DNS Lookup with Google and other Public DNS Servers. You will get all kinds of errors such as AIP-701, AIP 703, AIP 706. This update breaks SmartDNS support from providers like UnoTelly for Netflix on PS3. . We are currently investigating this issue and looking for a solution.
Step 2: Add in the firewall rules

a. Navigate to Administration -> Commands

b. Enter in the following rules in the Commands field.

iptables -I FORWARD -d 8.8.8.8 -j DROP

iptables -I FORWARD -d 8.8.4.4 -j DROP

iptables -I FORWARD -d 209.244.0.3 -j DROP

iptables -I FORWARD -d 209.244.0.4 -j DROP

iptables -I FORWARD -d 208.67.222.222 -j DROP

iptables -I FORWARD -d 208.67.220.220 -j DROP

»support.unblock-us.com/customer/ ··· itching-
As you will know Netflix have been carrying out some testing to find the fastest path to stream their content to the PS3. This is understandable with their business being dependant on speed, which obviously makes this very important. From our end, it is clear that they are cross checking a few DNS, discarding the slowest, and picking the fastest. We know that our DNS is not going to be the fastest every time, which is why the problem can seem to go away, but then reappear.
This has resulted in a number of PS3 users being unable to switch Netflix regions on the PS3, or people receiving various aip or ui errors.
--

couttsj

join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC
reply to Dreyfus
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Unblock-us continues to work just fine. The router is set up with the Unblock-us DNS numbers, and all devices on my network that use DHCP will use those numbers. All PCs on the network are setup with fixed IP addresses and Telus DNS addresses that I have tested with DNSTester.exe for the best overall performance.

This is all dependent on having full access to my own router, and if Telus ever tries to force one of their locked down routers on me, they will lose a customer.

Zinc64

join:2013-03-13
Vancouver, BC
reply to Dreyfus
So what's the final verdict?
Does it still work if you change the DNS manually on the PS3?

I've got Optik and was under the impression you couldn't change the DNS at the router w/o screwing up the TV.

I've got OpenDNS set manually on my PCs.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:22
said by Zinc64:

So what's the final verdict?
Does it still work if you change the DNS manually on the PS3?

I've got Optik and was under the impression you couldn't change the DNS at the router w/o screwing up the TV.

I've got OpenDNS set manually on my PCs.

Doesn't impact Optik at all. After 20sec, you join a multicast stream. I tried with VOD (unicast) and had no issue at all
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Dreyfus

reply to couttsj
said by couttsj:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Unblock-us continues to work just fine. The router is set up with the Unblock-us DNS numbers.

This is all dependent on having full access to my own router, and if Telus ever tries to force one of their locked down routers on me, they will lose a customer.

But do you stream Netflix using a PS3? If not, you won't have issues until Netflix decides to extend the change to other devices.

BTW, when I phoned Telus, they told me that I cannot use my own router (they will give me a locked-down modem/router combo). How did you manage to get yours?

couttsj

join:2010-07-29
Vernon, BC
said by Dreyfus:

BTW, when I phoned Telus, they told me that I cannot use my own router (they will give me a locked-down modem/router combo). How did you manage to get yours?

I have always used my own router, right from the early days with the D-Link 3001 modem. Telus gave me a Siemens Gigaset SE567, which I had nothing but trouble with, even after I switched it to bridge mode. Now I use the Thomson Speedtouch which has been virtually trouble free. So far I have been fortunate to not have to deal with the latest Telus combo boxes.

humanfilth

cyber gutter

2 edits
reply to Dreyfus
said by Dreyfus:

Telus is nice that you can use your own Modem or gateway. But they will not provide support if you experience any service issues when using it.

If you are on Adsl, $20-$40 for a modem(or gateway), plus your own router.
Your own unit on a Vdsl service is more expensive due to the Vdsl units being mainly gateways. $130 for Zyxel vsg-1432.

If you go for Teksavvy, make sure what type of DSL you will be on(Adsl or Vdsl). The Vdsl line cards can be set to run on an Adsl signal(maximum 15Mbps for Adsl speed).
--

Dreyfus

said by humanfilth:

Telus is nice that you can use your own Modem or gateway. But they will not provide support if you experience any service issues when using it.

I was not given that choice. Either take the combo unit (modem+router), or else take my business elsewhere. Are you sure about this? If so, I am willing to call them again.

said by humanfilth:

If you go for Teksavvy, make sure what type of DSL you will be on(Adsl or Vdsl). The Vdsl line cards can be set to run on an Adsl signal(maximum 15Mbps for Adsl speed).

The only TekSavvy DSL service available to me is 25Mbps, so I assume it is VDSL. But I will just buy the appropriate modem whichever it is. My issue is to have complete control over the router, so I can set the private routes to use unblock-us with the PS3.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
i have never heard telus saying u cant use ur own router, you just cant have there router/modem combo bridged, this does not mean you cant use your own router, whoever told you that did not know what they were talking about, i actually called to cancel my telus today so tmrw/30th is my last day, and when i did call to cancel i mentioned about how it sucked that telus didnt offer bridge mode, and the girl said well u can still use ur own router if u want it doesnt have to be bridged

just ordered my rt-ac66u today, cant wait to get it bridged on my shaw connection

Dreyfus

said by 18286719:

i have never heard telus saying u cant use ur own router, you just cant have there router/modem combo bridged, this does not mean you cant use your own router, whoever told you that did not know what they were talking about

If you can't bridge the router/modem combo, then how can you use your own router? Are you saying that Telus will provide stand-alone modems?

Darhole
Premium
Edmonton, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
You CAN bridge the Telus gateways. They will not provide this info to you however. There are numerous locations where this information is provided. We have posted in many threads how to do so. We do not however, give out the root passwords for the devices. However, google will.

I have spoken with one Level 2 at Telus who was willing to provide bridge details when he figured out we were on the same wavelength.

You can use your own router if you have Fibre to the home. You can use your own gateway providing you configure it properly, which with Telus firmware comes pre setup.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
reply to Dreyfus
I personally think an ISP like telus should have no business other then to provide you with a modem to connect your own hardware to. What kind of message doe providing a locked down router to Tech savey people send?
as person with years of IT experience I found it tedious in having to hack my ISP supplied hardware just to be able to use my hardware that suits the needs of my own network much better.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB
reply to Dreyfus
I understand why they are doing it. Trying to cut down on technical issues and the phone calls they receive on them. What I don't understand is why they don't provide a unit that can be put in bridge without having to unplug it from the network, factory reset, then find the necessary root passwords online.

humanfilth

cyber gutter
reply to Dreyfus
said by Dreyfus:

The only TekSavvy DSL service available to me is 25Mbps, so I assume it is VDSL. But I will just buy the appropriate modem whichever it is. My issue is to have complete control over the router, so I can set the private routes to use unblock-us with the PS3.

I'm pretty sure you can get all the speed ranges on Teksavvy(6, 15 25Mbps) and not just 25Mbps(which is Vdsl). Their service uses PPPoE to authenticate the connection. I guess when they sell you the Zyxel gateway, they have it per-configured for their settings. I guess it is stock Zyxel firmware without custom skins to hide stuff.

Maybe late 2013 for Teksavvy to get 50Mbps from Telus.
»[DSL] 50mbps telus yet?

google search terms for elevating a Telus gateway.
telus bridge gateway

You can bridge your own router to avoid double NAT and the gateway gives out the IP's, for those that need a better wireless router signal or extra lan ports.

Telus(and other ISP's) like to keep things as simple as possible for call support and 90% of their customers. Modifying the gateway to bridge mode is super duper fun, provided you don't screw things up. But thats what the reset button on the back is for to reset back to stock Telus.
[start sarcasm] Things that deviate from the call support script obviously do not exist and are impossible and we can't see your gateway to update it back to stock and please quit calling and asking why you can't use your own router and modem. [end sarcasm]
--

jed
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Alberta, Can
Reviews:
·TELUS
·EastLink Interne..
reply to rustydusty
Same thing, but you get people who think they know what they're doing with seperate modems/routers, then they run into trouble and go running (calling in) to CSR's for a fix. Who typically have no idea.

In a weird way, it makes sense. Have the default be the combo unit, but have a way to allow it to be bridged, which information isn't too accessible so the neophytes can't get ready access to it.

Dreyfus

reply to Darhole
said by Darhole:

You CAN bridge the Telus gateways. They will not provide this info to you however. There are numerous locations where this information is provided. We have posted in many threads how to do so. We do not however, give out the root passwords for the devices. However, google will.

I am not going to all that trouble, only to end up with an unsupported configuration, when I can just get the stand-alone modem from Shaw or Teksavvy DSL.

said by humanfilth:

I'm pretty sure you can get all the speed ranges on Teksavvy(6, 15 25Mbps) and not just 25Mbps(which is Vdsl).

I was told by TekSavvy that only 25mbps ports are available in my area.

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
if your on the 25 or the 50, the telus actiontec in bridge mode is actually a pretty good setup, it may seem super complicated but once u got it done it will seem simple and u can use any router u want with no double nat issues

humanfilth

cyber gutter
reply to Dreyfus
said by Dreyfus:

I was told by TekSavvy that only 25mbps ports are available in my area.

Weird. Maybe Teksavvy has to purchase a certain minimum speed from Telus for the users on each specific Vdsl system. Otherwise Telus loses out on a few bucks of the wholesale price that Teksavvy pays if the user took 6Mbps.
--

somrandomguy

@distributel.net

1 recommendation

reply to Darhole
said by Darhole:

The latest firmware batch on actiontec v1000ah cannot be, but the older ones or gigaset or the awful 2wires can still. Telus removed the higher level user accounts on actiontec. Bridge mode is not supported anymore sadly.

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
said by somrandomguy :

Bridge mode is not supported anymore sadly.

If that's true that is ridiculous, and grounds for looking elsewhere for services imo.