RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne

AT&T Software Update For The Galaxy S4

I just checked for Software Updates for my AT&T S4 under Settings > More > My Device > Software Update, and there was a roughly 350mb AT&T Software Update to be downloaded. I downloaded it and then let it install. It looks like you must get it via WiFi. Am I the last person to know there was an update? It is not an update to 4.3. Phone seems quicker now with no more lag, although I've only played around with it for about 1/2 hour.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Check Scott's post below...

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

I saw that. That's what prompted me to check. In his thread, he mentioned that he was in Europe, so I wasn't sure that AT&T would also have an update. His downloaded by itself. I had to check for updates to download it.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

And, that's the mystery for now. Any clue for him what may have caused it?

Hopefully, your FW update didn't break anything.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

I don't even have the same options as in his screenie. The only option that I could find is to Check For Software Updates. Unless I missed any other options.

Juggernaut
Premium
Kelowna, BC

It seems to be time for true world devices. The variations are a major PITA. Octo-band would be awesome.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

I agree. All of these phone variants get confusing.

scottp99

join:2010-12-11

Just got the same update as well. Its a firmware update which gives you more stability.
I thought it was an update to 4.3 Android, but guess not.
However, I see less "lagging" on the display. Its more snappy.

T-Mobile Hungary

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

I just checked for Software Updates for my AT&T S4 under Settings > More > My Device > Software Update, and there was a roughly 350mb AT&T Software Update to be downloaded. I downloaded it and then let it install. It looks like you must get it via WiFi. Am I the last person to know there was an update? It is not an update to 4.3. Phone seems quicker now with no more lag, although I've only played around with it for about 1/2 hour.

Here is info on update:
»androidtopnews.com/samsung-galax···for-att/

Here’s the full changelog:

New Camera firmware
Smearing issue has been fixed (Purple effect while scrolling)
Smart Pause Toggle
Move Apps to SD Card
HDR Video (Can record HDR video)
Semi-transparent status bar
New Icons in Settings
Secure boot status (About Phone)
Increase legibility (Display) (New feature)

The big thing a lot of people were looking for is the ability to move apps from main storage to the SD card, if you have one installed.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Applied new update. Went on to phone without incident. There is a new Application Manager tab called "ON SD CARD". I had the choice to move about 12 apps to the SD Card. I did that and it moved about 200MB out of device storage to SD Card storage. Apps moved to SD Card appear to be working as designed.
--
"If you want to anger a conservative lie to him.
If you want to anger a liberal tell him the truth."

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to FFH

Thanks for the info.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to lordpuffer

Just a heads up do NOT update if you have rooted your phone.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Thanks for the heads up. My phone is not rooted. It does seem to run smoother after the update. I wonder if there was also a stability fix as part of the update that AT&T/Samsung didn't mention? Or, it's just a placebo effect.

Selenia
I love Debian
Premium
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR
reply to ptrowski

Would not be an issue for me. Rooting these high end Samsung phones without doing a custom ROM is like serving $400 champagne in a paper cup. Seriously. Even some lower end devices it is like that unless there is absolutely no viable development for the platform.

Anyways, your advice is prudent for any stock OTA on any device. Unroot before update. Don't do it if you have a custom recovery either unless you flash it back to stock(Not sure why on Earth people would use one with stock as its main purpose is for flashing and for preparation and recovery from the act). That would be like buying a Ferrari and driving only in 25 MPH speed limit areas.
--
A fool thinks they know everything.

A wise person knows enough to know they couldn't possibly know everything.

There are zealots for every OS, like every religion. They do not represent the majority of users for either.

scottp99

join:2010-12-11

But most of the Move to SD Card button is grayed out....So its not much use at all. If you go to Application Manager and randomly choose an app, you will see that Move to SD Card is grayed out.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to Selenia

I rooted but did not flash a new ROM. I like being able to remove some of the bloatware.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
reply to lordpuffer

Good thing is this firmware can now be rooted.