Eustis, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink

Signal Strength

I just started receiving a 4G signal on my 4620LE Mifi and wonder what is considered Excellent to Poor signal strength. I found a location in my home where I get an RSSI of -85 dBm and an SNR of 23 dBm. I have no reference as to whether that signal is good or poor. Would anyone out there have an RSSI chart that converts RSSI signal strength into Excellent, Good, Average, Fair, Poor? Thanks

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today

It does not get much better then that. Are you getting good download speed's,you should be.

murfeez_law

join:2013-03-29
reply to Mr Matt

From the Verizon support section:

The RSSI should be greater than -58 dBm (e.g. -32 dBm). A value of -96 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -82 dBm and -96 dBm, move the device to an alternate location (an outdoor location is preferable).

The LTE SINR should be greater than 12.5. The connection may drop to a 3G network with an SINR value of -6, resulting in slow speeds.

Max Signal
Premium
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

said by murfeez_law:

From the Verizon support section:

The RSSI should be greater than -58 dBm (e.g. -32 dBm). A value of -96 dBm indicates no signal. If the signal is between -82 dBm and -96 dBm, move the device to an alternate location (an outdoor location is preferable).

The LTE SINR should be greater than 12.5. The connection may drop to a 3G network with an SINR value of -6, resulting in slow speeds.

Wrong - That applies to 3G signal . 4G is a different measurement

murfeez_law

reply to Mr Matt

said by Mr Matt:

I just started receiving a 4G signal on my 4620LE Mifi and wonder what is considered Excellent to Poor signal strength. I found a location in my home where I get an RSSI of -85 dBm and an SNR of 23 dBm. I have no reference as to whether that signal is good or poor. Would anyone out there have an RSSI chart that converts RSSI signal strength into Excellent, Good, Average, Fair, Poor? Thanks

murfeez_law

reply to Max Signal

said by Max Signal:

said by murfeez_law:

Wrong - That applies to 3G signal . 4G is a different measurement

Determining Signal Type / Strength - VZAccess Manager (4G)

Verify the RSSI and the LTE SINR. For a reliable connection,

Just added exactly how they describe it, to help there is a screenshot from that tutorial included

By the way, I've never known a 3G signal to be -58dbm or -32dbm

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

1 edit

quit spreading misinformation !! 4G signal uses a different type of measurement , -85 for 4G is excellent . It has been discussed here on these very forums.

The LTE Signal Strength Scale:

Now you have determined your actual LTE signal strength in dBms your device is receiving, you can use the following scale below to determine its strength:
Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Thanks Max. The numbers don't appear to be much different than 3G. I'm running about -79 to -85 now.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

They are little different Jack . With 3G measurement ., excellent would be between -65 and -75
very good is between -75 and -85

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY

What about the Sprint LTE? What are the desirable specs for dBm and CINR/RSRQ? And what are they for the Sprint/Clear WiMax?

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

specs are the same for Sprint

»s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entr···-primer/

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
reply to criggs

As for Sprint/Clear WiMax I saved this statement from the old Clear site some years back:
"CINR stands for Carrier to Interference-plus-Noise Ratio (CINR), expressed in decibels (dBs). CINR is a measurement of signal effectiveness. We use the CINR score to tell us the signal strength received by the modem. The higher the number the better signal you are receiving. You need at minimum a CINR of 8 or greater to receive consistent service. A CINR score of 18 or higher is considered excellent signal strength.
RSSI stands for Received signal strength indicator RSSI is a measurement of the power present in a received radio signal. We use RSSI score to tell us if we are receiving interference in the signal. A RSSI score of -100 reflects a lot of interference in your signal, a score of -50 is an excellent RSSI score and reflects little to no interference present."

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

4G signal is measured in RSSP . The link provided above is from a sprint sanctioned site

criggs

join:2000-07-14
New York, NY
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to xrayman

Would this CINR analysis apply to Sprint LTE's CINR? I currently am averaging between -12 and -19 CINR with the Sprint LTE. If the above standards for WiMax applies, then my LTE is in very bad shape, which could explain the fact that its performance so far has been disappointing, even though the signal strength has been well within spec, usually between -79 dBm and -85 dBm.

On the other hand, my WiMax CINR has consistently been well into the plus territory, usually between 8 and 12.

murfeez_law

reply to Max Signal

said by Max Signal:

quit spreading misinformation !! 4G signal uses a different type of measurement , -85 for 4G is excellent . It has been discussed here on these very forums.

The LTE Signal Strength Scale:

Now you have determined your actual LTE signal strength in dBms your device is receiving, you can use the following scale below to determine its strength:
Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal
Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal
Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good
Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair
Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor

Yep and you told me even then when the above numbers were posted that they were also misinformation. So, have a nice day and good luck Mr. Matt

Reading is understanding.

Max Signal
Premium
Buffalo, NY

What is so hard to understand . OP listed a 4G signal of -85 . BCLtoys who knows what he is talking about . Told him it was great . You not understanding that 3G signal and 4G signal are measured differently . Came in like an authority and told him it was not. I listed credible sources showing it was . If you are here trying to help folks , at least give them accurate information.

Wartrace

join:2009-03-07
Wartrace, TN
reply to Mr Matt

I recently had issues with my MBR-95 router and got ahold of Cradlepoint support. They told me my signal had to be -80dbm in order for them to troubleshoot the problem. They claimed my -89dbm LTE signal strength wasn't good enough.....

I don't know if they failed to read I was talking about the Sprint 4G service or if they thought I was on 3g.

bcltoys

join:2008-07-21
Lost today
reply to Mr Matt

Here is a screen shot from my phone this is 1/2 mile from tower a 21919 Maryland .

murfeez_law

reply to Mr Matt

Max, Sorry, I may have misunderstood. Max, if you will, provide clarification of what my perceptions are. I hope I clearly explain this because sometimes I may not show in text what I think I do so it if you have any questions I will be happy to provide additional info. I appreciate any corrections you can offer so that I am armed with the proper understanding:

1. The response posted was the matt whom referenced the RSSI for 4G therefore my assumption was he was using Verizon so the references to the RSSI specifically was what I posted to match what his readings were telling him.

2. I understand 3G and 4G are measured differently, however 4g can be measured using two methods RSSI and RSRP. RSSI is the one we are accustomed to of course which may be why Verizon chooses to reference it on the 4G as well I don't know.

However, ranges on the RSRP chart are a little different and I didn't want to inform the user that -85 is excellent because in RSRP it's actually -105 and is used in reference for Sprint user interfaces, etc.

I had gathered from the research I conducted that either can be used/referenced regarding the 4G LTE they just are different in how they calculate. It seems that the RSSI calculations would be a ratio of 100 as opposed to the RSRP of one.

My response should have included the RSRP chart as well as an explanation, looking back at it, it does seem a bit misleading with that being omitted. Sorry.

Thanks again for any correction you can provide.

Golferdude

join:2009-04-01
Georgetown, TX
reply to Mr Matt

I was wondering the same thing as I just was upgraded to the Franklin U770 and I got a MBR95 router. Previously I was on a Sierra U598 3G modem with a MBR-1400 router. I have a grid antenna in my attic. My signal on the 3G was -64, sometimes down to -59. with DL speeds around 2.3 mbs. Now on 4G LTE, the RSSI is -88 with the SINR is at -7. I was wondering why the signal was so much worse but from what I am reading it is ok? My DL is usually around 15 mbs down and 5 mbs up. I was about to ask if I needed to realign the grid or change something as the readings were higher than before.

murfeez_law

Out of curiosity, does the reading reference the RSSI or RSRP? That's something I hadn't noticed previously and haven't had the pleasure of actually using one directly.