Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

wizkid6

join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

1 edit

Plant bandwidth?

Does anybody know what plant is in Auburn? 750Mhz? 870Mhz? 1Ghz?

I looked in the FCC's COALS database but could not find Lee county anywhere.

However, I did see Birmingham/Jefferson county...

Yuuan

join:2013-01-03
Nome, AK
750. There's no field equipment ready for 1 GHz.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Yuuan:

Sure there is. C-Cor and SA make a whole line (Gain Maker and Flex Max respectively) That can handle 1ghz forward. Regal and SA have made taps, hardline splits, hardline DC, and power insertion gear that handle 1ghz pass for years now.

Deployment is always a matter of when the economy of scale tilts to cheaper to retrofit higher range than to repair.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17
reply to Yuuan
Motorola, Cisco, and Arris all make cable boxes and modems that work on 1 ghz too

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
reply to wizkid6
Most Cox Communications systems are 1 GHz.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to wizkid6
said by wizkid6:

Does anybody know what plant is in Auburn? 750Mhz? 870Mhz? 1Ghz?

I looked in the FCC's COALS database but could not find Lee county anywhere.

However, I did see Birmingham/Jefferson county...

did you do a search by auburn under the community field box? I got 750MHz from the Coals website

duffman45200

join:2010-09-20
What do you look for to find that info? I just see a bunch of leakage documents and an annual report from 5 years ago.

Yuuan

join:2013-01-03
Nome, AK
reply to Killa200
said by Killa200:

said by Yuuan:

Sure there is. C-Cor and SA make a whole line (Gain Maker and Flex Max respectively) That can handle 1ghz forward. Regal and SA have made taps, hardline splits, hardline DC, and power insertion gear that handle 1ghz pass for years now.

Deployment is always a matter of when the economy of scale tilts to cheaper to retrofit higher range than to repair.

I guess I should have worded that better. Charter has no field equipment in that area for 1 GHz.

Jazzemt

join:2009-02-12
USA
reply to Killa200
You also must add in the design element of going to 1ghz. Amplifier spacing changes and you usually end with up a total different design that requires quite a bit of cable re-routing and replacment. The current push is to end analog and then there will be a ton of bandwidth open for digital/data services. I honestly believe most operators will end up moving to a 870Mhz design with a high say 200Mhz upstream split to deal with upstream limitations.

Killa200
Premium
join:2005-12-02
Southeast TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Jazzemt:

You also must add in the design element of going to 1ghz. Amplifier spacing changes and you usually end with up a total different design that requires quite a bit of cable re-routing and replacment. The current push is to end analog and then there will be a ton of bandwidth open for digital/data services. I honestly believe most operators will end up moving to a 870Mhz design with a high say 200Mhz upstream split to deal with upstream limitations.

The high 200mhz split will take just as much plant work and even more so a ton of headend work to get working, as nothing deployed in modern designs is setup for that kind of split. I can see the 870 and 750mhz push, then all digital. After that i more than likely see the system heading out of coax if the price of higher end line gear doesn't come down quickly.

Jazzemt

USA
It all depends on the headend. If using aurora all it is would be a mod swap in the node and a mod swap in the field with a full sweep. Thats it.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
said by Jazzemt:

It all depends on the headend. If using aurora all it is would be a mod swap in the node and a mod swap in the field with a full sweep. Thats it.

what about the amplifiers? They only pass at most 5-42MHz/54-1002MHz for the newest ones and some of the older ones only pass 5-40MHz or 5-30MHz on the return. So those would all have to be replaced it is not just a mod swap at the node it affects the entire system.

Jazzemt

USA
Mod swap in the field is the field amplifiers. The aurora node transmitters are out of the box set up for 225 return and the receivers are the same way. The module in the node would half to be swapped to a high split one and whatever line gear would also need to be swapped. Not much if any plant re-design would be needed.