spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FatCat

join:2013-02-22

[Newsgroups] Who Is the best Usenet Provider?

Hi,

my yearly subscriptions in Astraweb ends in August and i don't wanna continue with atraweb. Could anyone help my with choose the right usenet provider in these hard days? I'm looking for good retentions with very good speed (I have 1Gbit line server) and reasonable price. At the moment I choose between supernews and usenetserver or can I please some experience with other providers. I'm looking for yearly subscription.

Thanks.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Might be worth perusing this not-so-old thread: »Best Usenet provider
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to FatCat

There is plenty out there. Have a look here. »www.newsgroupreviews.com/

activoice

join:2008-02-10
York, ON
reply to FatCat

If you use Usenet only occasionally, then you should look into getting a block account, where you buy a fixed amount of capacity, and just use it until it runs out. This is a good solution if you don't download a lot, and don't want to pay a monthly fee.

»blocknews.net/

I use Easynews as my primary provider for which I pay a monthly fee, then I have a Blocknews account that I use as a fill server, of which I've used 70 out of 100gb, that I bought back in December 2010.

sandman_1

join:2011-04-23
reply to FatCat

I would recommend getting block only accounts with several providers. Don't be locked in to yearly anymore even though they are cheap. The landscape is too dynamic to stay with just one provider for that period of time.

Get blocks from different tier 1 providers also. It does you no good to get a block from resellers that use the same tier 1 provider.

Supplement you block accounts with free providers to further diversify, too. Just my two cents...

unoriginal
Premium
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

Block accounts are a good idea if you don't download too much. Personally I download a LOT each month and it simply makes more financial sense to pay for an unlimited account and then use blocks to supplement that.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FatCat

I recommend using an unlimited subscription (if you plan on using it a lot) for your main server and a block account for a filler from a totally separate seller because the one big problem is getting through the maze of take downs. In my own case I use Newshosting annual sub and blocknews as my filler and I've never not been able to get what I want but that's just me. Everyone has their own preference of what works for them.
--
It's a beautiful day.

Someone is sabotaging me.Finding out who
Premium
join:2001-06-03
Kenner, LA
reply to FatCat

Unlimited because with a Blu-Ray being 45 GB you will go through a block account very quickly.

Even 720 and 1080p web-dl releases are 2 to 4 GB.