shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
Reviews:
·Distributel Cable
reply to HenryA

Re: Sh*tty modem or out of date firmware

Vmedia will sell you a DCM476 for $59.95, why not just buy the new modem? I don't get this loyalty to Motorola modems. Sure, back when DOCSIS 2.0 was the standard they were the go to guys with the SB5100 series of modems but since the wide adoption of DOCSIS 3.0 the current leader in modems has obviously become RCA/Thompson/Technicolor with their DCM47x series. $59.95 for the new standard in D3 modems, which is also 8/4 vs. 4/4 channels, doesn't seem that bad to me. For the sake of $60 I certainly wouldn't put up with constant problems with my internet connection. When I pay 10x that amount, or more, per year for my internet service it just doesn't make sense to put up with constant problems for a 10% investment in stability (and speed with the extra 4 downstream channels).

So, if you can't tell, my vote is for sh*tty modem. Drop $60, do yourself a favour.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
Then lets start a petition to have the TPIA providers to use their "free" yearly test on the SB6141 which has the 8 channels.

My SB5100 has gone strong for at least 6 or 7yrs, I question whether the RCA one will too (and not from a technological perspective)
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

HenryA

join:2011-05-28
reply to shwatkin
I might have to. I just got the modem though a couple of weeks back when the service was installed on July 18th. Perhaps GeorgeBurger can do a swap for me?

HenryA

join:2011-05-28
Reviews:
·VMedia
·ooma
reply to shwatkin
Gotta say "Thank you" shwatkin. I received the DCM476 the other day, but had to wait until today for Rogers>Vmedia to get it on-line.

What a HUGE difference.

I was receiving about 5 to 10 errors - Timeouts > reboot on the SB6120 per hour. Last 2 hours (since 8 a.m.) with the DCM476. Zero timeouts. Zero errors. Clear log. What a massive difference.

I'm sure the SB6120 is a good modem. I just happened to get a defective one, or there might be a compatibility problem using them with Rogers backbone. I don't care. I'm a happy camper to have a working modem now, and it appears that Vmedia has ironed out a lot of the wrinkles with speed and stability.

Thanks again.

And thank you GeorgeBurger.

shwatkin
Premium
join:2007-10-02
Bowmanville, ON
No problem. I'm glad the fix was as simple as a new modem for you.