uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

Possible to change app permissions?

After downloading an app, or for apps that come pre-installed so therefore you never really agreed to their installation or permissions; is there any way to modify or edit the permissions of an app that is on your phone after it is already on the phone?

I see a list of permissions for certain apps but the list does not seem to be editable. There are no check boxes or any way to change any of the permissions. Is it just as simple as once an app is on your phone the permissions are what they are and cannot be changed or restricted in anyway by the user other than to uninstall or delete the entire app?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

AFAIK, you can't change app permissions. You either have to go with them or don't install the app if you don't like the permissions.

JasonOD

@comcast.net
reply to Sentinel

You've gotta unlock the bootloader and install root to do this.

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel

You really should just unlock and root. For most android devices it's not difficult, then you'll be able to chmod or remove/uninstall anything off the device.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida
reply to Sentinel

Wow. Thanks all.

swhitney2003
Premium
join:2003-06-13
NH
reply to JasonOD

said by JasonOD :

You've gotta unlock the bootloader and install root to do this.

Can you suggest an app that will work on a rooted phone, for 4.2.2?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to Sentinel

If you root, you *can* remove apps that came with the phone (I don't think this was your question though?). However, I would be cautious in doing this, sometimes that will break things, even though root allows you to do it. Depends on the app you wish to uninstall.

Having said that, I too would say root if you can.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

1 recommendation

Perhaps someday I will root. Right now though there are two things stopping me.
1. I don't know anything about it. I need to learn more about what it is, what it does, how to do it safely, how to undo it later, and basically the risks involved, what to look out for, etc...
2. I just got this phone so it is still has warranty and contract. If I hose it I am pretty much screwed for quite a while or a big lump of cash.

I am, shall we say, technologically savvy or an advanced user with PC's but I am a neophyte with smart phones. At this point in time it is outside my comfort zone

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to swhitney2003

said by swhitney2003:

Can you suggest an app that will work on a rooted phone, for 4.2.2?

Check LBE Privacy Guard.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to Sentinel

You can modify permissions as this is simply a disclosure of what the app will do/use. You can't pick and choose what it does. You can't legally modify the code of the app as you are only licensed to use it.

If you are "worried" over the extent of the permissions, don't be.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel

said by Sentinel:

I see a list of permissions for certain apps but the list does not seem to be editable. There are no check boxes or any way to change any of the permissions. Is it just as simple as once an app is on your phone the permissions are what they are and cannot be changed or restricted in anyway by the user other than to uninstall or delete the entire app?

Once its there yup pretty much it even rooted though it gives you greater uninstall or at least disable powers.

One thing that irritated me with the Play Store makeover is no longer manual update separation, thos ethat required new permisions so Update all is no longer safe to do.

You have too go thrrough them one by one and if new permission you don't want don't upgrade. Very few apps become non functional if you don't update.
--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Sentinel

I don't allow ANY automatic updates. I want to see what is being updated, reviews if there are reported issues, and what new, if any, permissions there are. I get notified updates are available only.

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to Sentinel

This was the way to go before Android came out with 4.3, »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···te&hl=en but you need root.

After you upgrade to 4.3 this app, »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···er&hl=en is free and you won't need root. Android 4.3 ONLY | NO ROOT | NO ADS

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

Wow, that looks good. Do you use it?
It looks easy and like exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of. But I only want to try it if people in here have tried it, like it and would recommend it.

Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone

join:2004-05-31

1 edit
reply to Sentinel

Other options that require root are the Xposed framework
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=2320783
or various flavors of PDroid
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=2098156
»forum.xda-developers.com/showthr···=1923576
Using these would be more involved than just installing an app, but offer very granular control over what apps have what permissions, and even the ability to provide fake or random info to the requesting app. That's important since apparently some apps crash when denied permissions. Of these, I've only used an older version of PDroid on a device that doesn't support Android 4.x.

Oh, and rooting is generally easily reversible by re-flashing the original ROM, so no big worries about warranty, etc, just read up on your device. Also be aware that on a stock ROM, system updates from your carrier can include "patches" that make your device un-rootable, so be aware of what Android updates you accept or flash (of course such updates would not be offered if running a custom ROM).
--
Government controlled healthcare? Name one thing government does efficiently and effectively!

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA

1 recommendation

reply to Sentinel

I do use it and it works great. And if you disable permissions and "break" an app you receive a notification that reads "Do you want to fix permissions". In other words it's hard to mess up your device.

Sentinel
Premium
Florida

Thanks bud. I think I might give this a try.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Lone Wolf

said by Lone Wolf:

This was the way to go before Android came out with 4.3, »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···te&hl=en but you need root.

After you upgrade to 4.3 this app, »play.google.com/store/apps/detai···er&hl=en is free and you won't need root. Android 4.3 ONLY | NO ROOT | NO ADS

I plan on getting the Verizon HTC One next week when it "supposedly" is going to be released on the 15th, so I guess I'll have to wait until 4.3 is pushed out to it. With Verizon, that most likely will be sometime in 2015, if at all.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo