join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Esc

Re: [DSL] MLPPP in Rural Ontario - Sugestions for equipment & Se

said by Esc:

you're saying that none of the N routers will work for mlppp?

For sure not with Tomato. I don't know about Acanac's OpenWRT/MLPPP project. Best bet if you want N is a separate AP. Pfsense with an adapter is an option.
--
db

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Esc
Yeah, Tomato/MLPPP is pretty ancient, so it only works on older stuff. But (excepting your problems with rebooting), it can be made (with some manual hackery) to work on three lines, and an aggregate speed of 4.5/1.9 is well within the capabilities of hardware supporting it.

ADSL2+ modems have become commoditized, I'm not sure it really matters what you use if it's relatively recent. The TP-Link 8816 can be had for under $20, and the 8616 is on sale some places for under $15 now.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Esc
OpenWRT/MLPPP does indeed run on more recent hardware and supports many lines out of the box, but it hasn't been updated in years, and when I was using it (to bond two 25 megabit VDSL2 lines) I found it to be unreliable.
--

s_tux_g

join:2012-03-03
reply to Esc
Since I'm a person who prefers Cisco equipment so, here is my recommendation with capital investment ~$700 and really reliable solution. The following equipment is discontinued but will do the job for you:

A 1-st generation router
3 modems (the router supports 4 slots).
A cheap switch like this

Esc
Premium
join:2011-01-26
canada
Thanks, talk about a NFA solution. I don't know if you noticed that shipping alone on the first item is $80, yikes!!!

Esc
Premium
canada
reply to Esc
Thanks everyone for all the feedback today.

I just ordered 3 tp-link Link TD-8816 & 1 WRT54GL for a grand total of $153 incl. tax & delivery. So, I'm good to go for 4 lines if bell will run them.

I'm off to the direct forum to place the order.

s_tux_g

join:2012-03-03
reply to Esc
The links are just for example. I'm 100% sure you can find such equipment for cheaper price

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Esc
Well, I don't think anybody ever tested the WRT54GL with four lines :P

Three lines should work because of how limited speeds we're talking about, though. I looked it up, it seems that I included a link to a three-line tutorial in my Tomato/MLPPP documentation:

»community.acanac.com/acanac/view···&t=14198

The changes required for four lines would be slightly different, you'll need to create an extra vlan beyond what the tutorial covers.
--

Esc
Premium
canada
I thought they were good for up to 4 lines Well, the router was on sale for $40 so, I guess it's backup insurance if nothing else.

You're saying I would have to go with the microtik router for 4 lines?

* Sorry, I missed the last line in your post

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Esc
I think it'll do 4 lines (that's only 6 megabits per second if they're all 1.5 meg down), but I don't think anybody has really done it before. The instructions I linked to say how to set everything up for three lines. Four is theoretically possible, but the configuration will be different.

We only designed and tested it with two lines, so anything beyond that is sort of unknown territory. I know there are people using microtik and pfsense and the cisco stuff to do more than two lines, but I don't have any personal experience with any of that either.
--

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
reply to Esc
Four should work if you can figure out the right vlan and bridge commands based on Guspaz's link above. That leaves you one LAN port.
--
db

Esc
Premium
canada
reply to Guspaz
I've already bought the hardware, so I'll give it a try and see if I can get 4 working.

I came across that tutorial earlier and bookmarked it. I'll take a closer look at it later.

If I can get this setup working, I'll probably stick with it for now since I've already been using tomato. I'll take a look at the others in time and I will at least have this current setup to fall back on if I run into problems.

Esc
Premium
canada
reply to clarknova
Right... I'll be needing more.

Could I plug in something with faster wireless here I wonder?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to Esc
You can just plug a regular ethernet switch into the one LAN port if you want. Or use an existing home router as a dumb switch (disable all the DHCP and other stuff obviously) plugged into the LAN port on the new one. Or if you want something with 802.11n or something, plug that in and use it as an access point.
--

Esc
Premium
canada
The 802.11n is what I had in mind. It obviously won't speed up what's coming in over the internet, but my internal network could benefit from faster wireless.