share rss forum feed
Expand your moderator at work

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to zapattack

Re: Comcast box is locked?

Never mind im not posting tricks period. Im sure most here have lost a tool or two and know the tricks.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to David9726

I wonder how many posters giving legal advice are actual practicing attorneys?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

1 recommendation

reply to David9726

Should any of these posts suggesting or explaining how to vandalize Comcast property be allowed ? Just saying...
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

Expand your moderator at work

zapattack

join:2012-07-02
CANADA
reply to David9726

Re: Comcast box is locked?

The outside turns because it is just a cover for the hollow head bolt inside. The proper tool expands inside the hollow head.

Just get a plastic hole plug that fits snugly all the way in, then run a screw right to the bottom of the plug. If tight enough, the cover, plug, and bolt will turn together.

baineschile
2600 ways to live
Premium
join:2008-05-10
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to mikey75

said by mikey75:

its a tap terminator. sometimes they are not put on right and you can just twist it off. if its important that you get in here, use a small saw and cut the hinges on the opposite side. you will not get in trouble and they wont charge you for a new house box. these are typically locked like this in apartment houses so people dont steal cable (although since everything is digital now, it is kind of pointless)

Do NOT do this. You will be charged if you break their equipment.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to ctggzg

said by ctggzg:

said by mikey75:

arguing with me over this isn't going to solve his problem.

It can avoid creating additional problems.

+1

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
reply to mikey75

said by mikey75:

arguing with me over this isn't going to solve his problem. Just take a drill and drill out the middle of the terminator. you won't hurt anything on the other end. if the box won't latch shut again after that, just put a zip tie on it.

people here are not arguing with you....

people here are telling you to stop making these statements...period...

long time members here know well enough what to do and what not to do....

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to David9726

On my walks around my neighborhood, for the past year I've seen bright orange Comcast cable just lying on the sidewalk. It comes down from the top of a pole, with about 10' just lying in loops on the sidewalk, then runs through some hedges across a lawn to a house. I've nearly tripped over it several times. For over a year, now. I've seen other instances nearly as bad around here, too.
--
Teabaggers: Destroying America is Priority #1

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to mikey75

said by mikey75:

arguing with me over this isn't going to solve his problem.

It can avoid creating additional problems.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to mikey75

Oh that's another smart idea.

mikey75

join:2013-07-28
reply to David9726

arguing with me over this isn't going to solve his problem. Just take a drill and drill out the middle of the terminator. you won't hurt anything on the other end. if the box won't latch shut again after that, just put a zip tie on it.

or call them, tell them all your services are out, have the tech open the box and then have him cancel the call out and do your thing.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to David9726

Ground wire doesn't need to be insulated, not sure if you knew that. What are you trying to bond it to?

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to Cablejim1087

Exactly.

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to David9726

The customer owned starts at the feedline into home. House Box, Ground Block,& Drop are Comcast property due to bonding regulations.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to David9726

The burial is a contractor who has you on a schedule and will get there when it's your turn.
If you tell the phone CSR it can't be grounded the way it was installed and it is unsafe, they'll send an in house tech ASAP, the liability is too high to ignore, just leave a note/ map/ photo to show where you would like it to go in case you aren't available when they can get there.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1
reply to mikey75

said by mikey75:

if its important that you get in here, use a small saw and cut the hinges on the opposite side. you will not get in trouble and they wont charge you for a new house box.

Please do not tell people to cut Comcast property...

David9726

join:2013-02-16
reply to Barovelli

Calling comcast never seems to help, they never show up it's like trying to get the cable buried it should take 7 days it's been weeks i'm tired of mowing around it. I may just bury it myself.

The insulation is striped off the ground wire and it's to short the install guy had said i could do it my self but i can't. Only thing in the box is a splitter.

Barovelli

join:2002-04-03
reply to David9726

Think about it from the warranty standpoint.

Change anything and when something goes wrong with the cable, it will be blamed on the customer modifications and the customer will be billed to put it back to certification levels.

CableCos are serious about grounding, if you need to change it, call them.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to David9726

Looks pretty new so there must be some reason they put it there. If you show a picture of whats around it. Im guessing someone will tell you the trick of removing it without the tool. I know i would tell you if i was sure some othere lines isnt hanging around it.

mikey75

reply to David9726

Yeah cutting the box is bad advice, call them and have them fix it unless you can move the external ground clamp to where you need it..
however, the plastic house box is customer property. Comcast property at a customers house will have a serial number (i.e the cable boxes, the modem, etc..) When a customer disconnects, they do not come and take this box off the house. There are no components inside, it is just a housing for external splices and splitters.)
They keep no record of which houses have one of these plastic boxes installed, and if they ever were to remove it off your house, there would be 3-4 holes left in your house, and that could be considered vandalism.
disregard my 'sawing the hinges' advice, it was stupid.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mikey75

said by mikey75:

if its important that you get in here, use a small saw and cut the hinges on the opposite side. you will not get in trouble

That's really bad advise no matter where you live.
Better would be for the OP to call comcast and tell them the ground is wrong and they will send some ASAP.
ExoticFish See Profile is right that you could temporarily extend it, but it really should be single wire running as directly as possible to the meter ground.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE

1 recommendation

reply to David9726

if you have an issue with the ground, call comcast.
--
I'm better than you!

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to mikey75

The box is Comcast property... Plain and simple.

mikey75

reply to David9726

anything attached to the house (exluding the drop cable from the pole) during the install is considered 'customer side'.. even the clips used to secure the cable. the house box is not mandatory, its the installers option to install one if he/she chooses. technically, you could remove the box and just screw the ground block inside of it to the house and comcast would have no idea that the box was ever there. people remove them to put up new siding and additions all the time.

technically yes, its a comcast supplied box, but just like adding inside cable outlets, it belongs to the customer. Its sole purpose is for cosmetic, keeping things neat, and it doesn't offer much more weather protection than normal because the connectors and passive units come already sealed.

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to mikey75

Technically speaking Comcast owns that box, not the customer and tampering with it is vandalism.
--

mikey75

reply to David9726

its a tap terminator. sometimes they are not put on right and you can just twist it off. if its important that you get in here, use a small saw and cut the hinges on the opposite side. you will not get in trouble and they wont charge you for a new house box. these are typically locked like this in apartment houses so people dont steal cable (although since everything is digital now, it is kind of pointless)

ExoticFish

Stuarts Draft, VA
reply to David9726

Uh huh... Call Comcast. Technically you don't NEED to get into that box to move the ground as the ground exits the box. You can attach to the exposed ground.
--

David9726

join:2013-02-16

I need to move the ground wire around outside because it's to short and the comcast box has this thing on it that just turns and turns?