dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
snickers10m
join:2013-07-28

snickers10m

2WIRE429 Has no default gateway after pressing reset button!

After switching to cable and getting a cheap Cisco router, my dad set me the task of converting our old 2wire router/dsl modem into a simple repeater since our connection is so bad (heating vent near devices, presumably).

I looked around, changed some settings, but nothing was really working. I reset everything back every time I worked through a bad solution. Then I got to this website: »www.techsupportforum.com ··· routers/
which, in step 2 says to disable DHCP. After doing so, I no longer could use 192.168.1.254 or gateway.2wire.net to connect to the router over ethernet. I figured, this is probably from something I just did following directions on another site, so I pressed the reset button on the back of the router, thinking this would reset the gateway/ip to the default 192.168.1.254 that most 2Wire's have.

The IP worked, the gateway didn't. There is no Default Gateway address, as you'll see below.

After looking and looking on how to give my router->computer a gateway address, including this post on these forums: »No Default Gateway IP |HomePortal 1000HW|
nothing works, and it changed my gateway to 0.0.0.0.

Here's my ipconfig currently. I'm using a different laptop with Vista.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
Link-local IPv6 Address : fe80::3c0d:a52:5a3b:6ac3%8
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address : 169.254.106.195
Subnet Mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

None of those numbers will pull up the portal in my web browser. I can successfully ping the IPv4 Address, but not 0.0.0.0.

FYI, ipconfig /release does something, but ipconfig /renew brings up an error that says "unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out." Surely the reset button would enable DHCP?

Sorry for long post, thanks in advance for any responses, I'm new to this. Any ideas?

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

#1 After you disable the DHCP server in the second router, you need to connect one of the LAN ports of it to one the LAN ports of the main/primary router.

#2 If you really to reset the router and start all over, when you pressed the reset button....
quote:
#1 Maybe you did not press it long enough?

For example..

a) Pressing it for at least 5 seconds reboots the router.

b) Pressing it for at least 10 seconds resets the router.

#2 Maybe you can't just press the button?

For example

You need to press the button as you turn off and back on the power to the router.