[Equipment] Nanobridge M5 connection inconsistentcy

access point
Click for full size
airview
Click for full size
bridge station
Click for full size
ping test
Equipment: Nanobridge M5 (25 dbi dish version) (quantity 2)
Distance: a little over 6 miles - line of sight

I had a link together for about 2 weeks without any issues with consistent latency of 2ms. We had to disconnect power to the Access Point for about 6 hours and since plugging it back in the connection between the two radios is inconsistent and sometimes simply isn't even linked (see the ping test). I'm not sure if this event had anything to do with it but it may since it worked before but not well after.

Can you look at the images and see if there are some settings or something that we majority overlooked (such as noise level and other monitoring tools)? Also checkout the AirView tool from the side of the AccessPoint.

We are not 100% set on the Nanobridge M5, we figured it was worth a shot because it was so inexpensive, but my biggest concern is that it worked GREAT for 2 weeks (average latency was 2ms) whereas now it is all over the map.

Suggestions for trouble shooting or maybe other type of equipment that is better suited for the job? Again, my biggest concern is that it works so well for several weeks so I think that the ability is there.

UPDATE 7/29/2013 [
Signal Strenght: -65 dBm
Noise Floor: -91 dBM
Transmit CCQ: 84.8%
TX/RX Rate: 216mbps / 216 mbps
airmax: enabled
airmax priority: max
airmax quality: 84%
airmax capacity: 63% ]
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor

Your signal level is too low on the receive end.
Try re-aligning the radios, and make sure they have 100% clear line of sight with no trees, buildings or anything in the signal path.

You should be able to get at least -60 over 6 miles

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

1 recommendation

Inssomniak to forumsviewer

Premium Member

to forumsviewer
Signal of -89 sucks big time.

warwick
join:2009-06-05
Hollywood, FL

warwick to forumsviewer

to forumsviewer
Hmm, are you certain you have clear line of sight, (Including fresnel*) or rather, that you have aimed both dishes as best you can?

your signal levels are borderline. Clean those up through alignment and you should be ok.

Signal strength at that distance should fall within the range of (-63) (-67) Assuming your using the 25dbi version.... your current/received signal level reads -89.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

Also noticed you are using DFS. 6 miles in DFS band is a stretch too. If you have channel at the AP end set to auto it could explain why after you unplugged it it didn't work afterwards. I would stick to a high power channel.
forumsviewer
join:2008-08-25
Beverly Hills, CA

forumsviewer

Silly question but what is DFS? I understand that it is showing channel with DFS but it was during the troubleshooting that we picked that one.
raytaylor

2 recommendations

raytaylor

I am going to try and sound nice here - these radios need to be installed by professional installers, and by ticking the agreement when you first log into them, you should know what DFS is.

From the ubnt instruction manual / wiki
Enable DFS: DFS is the part of the IEEE 802.11h wireless standard. Enable DFS option allows to enable/disable DFS support (applicable to M5 series only). DFS may be mandatory in some regulatory domains and should be tuned according to the regulations of the selected country. Please consult compliance guide and official regulations authorities for further explanation of compliance requirements for the country where AirOS v5.3 based device is installed.
»wiki.ubnt.com/AirOS_5.3

Dynamic Frequency Selection will listen on the channel selected for a radar system - such as aeroplane tracking at airports, weather monitoring etc. A link can interfere with a radar system many many miles away. So when it starts up, it will listen for a radar and if it detects one, it changes to another channel.

To elaborate on what was said above - the DFS channels in many countries usually have lower output power limits, so that could be why the signal level has gone down - but its a big drop so im not entirely sure it is.
forumsviewer
join:2008-08-25
Beverly Hills, CA

forumsviewer

UPDATE
Played around with both towers and for some reason one tower wasn't tightened down all the way. Here are updated stats:

Signal Strenght: -65 dBm
Noise Floor: -91 dBM
Transmit CCQ: 84.8%
TX/RX Rate: 216mbps / 216 mbps
airmax: enabled
airmax priority: max
airmax quality: 84%
airmax capacity: 63%

SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER.

However, unable to stream video through Windows Media Center. Do we need a larger throughout device? It is close to be able to watch LiveTV (stutters, not fluid) but not quite there. Any suggestions? We are using HDHomeRun Prime with a Media Media Center box.
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to forumsviewer

Premium Member

to forumsviewer
Pick a different channel and get it out of 40Mhz mode.
raytaylor

1 recommendation

raytaylor to forumsviewer

to forumsviewer
Your ccq should be 99%

As suggested, try changing the channel width to 20mhz and lock it to 26mbps - but leave the auto tick next to the speed. That way, if needed it will automatically drop the speed, but wont try to go over 26mbps so it wont try and overreach and cause the ccq to drop, and cause an unstable connection.

26mbps airspeed is 15mbps of actual throughput - which should be more than enough for streaming.

Another thing you may want to try is turning down the power level from 23db to 21 or 22db. Some find that turning down the power level slightly adds some 'clarity' to the transmitted signal.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

OHSrob to forumsviewer

to forumsviewer
Put it in 20 mhz.