spc
Search similar:

uniqs
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

1 edit

omghi2u

[TiVo] Quad Bug - Lose show watching live- New York, NY

If I am watching a show live (may have paused at some point so watching from buffer), when a recording starts on the same channel it will skip to it and I will lose what I was watching. Kind of stinks when I'm into whatever I'm watching. There is no rewinding.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

Re: [TiVo] Tivo Quad Bug - Lose show watching live when recordin

I never thought of that. The software designers may not have considered it either.

It seems like the best policy is to only use the PAUSE button for a minute or two, and simply record a show if you are getting too far out of real time.
omghi2u

omghi2u

said by Pacomartin:

I never thought of that. The software designers may not have considered it either.

It seems like the best policy is to only use the PAUSE button for a minute or two, and simply record a show if you are getting too far out of real time.

How do you record a show that is in the buffer? Lets say for example you are watching a 30 minute show, are 45 minutes paused so you are 15 minutes into the next show in reality, how do you capture the first 30 minute show? I can record the current live show that is 15 minutes in but can't find a way to record the prior 30 minute show.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

I am almost positive that if you hit record that it will record the portion of the show that is in the buffer. I believe that the default for the maximum time in the live TV buffer is 30 minutes. So assume a TV show begins at 7:00, you turned it on at7:12 and you hit pause at 7:20 for 25 minutes and begin watching it. Suddenly at 7:55 you realize that another show was set to record on this channel at 8:00 so you record it. It should save the show from 7:12 until 8:00.

In the case that you mentioned where you had it in on pause for 45 minutes, the Tivo may actually backfill the entire 45 minutes. It depends on the buffer size allocated. But 30 minutes is all that is guaranteed.

I remember one cable company was experimenting with a plan to suddenly record every show that on TV from the beginning. But that would involve keeping a data record of the last few hours of every channel that they were broadcasting. By hitting "record" you would actually be downloading a copy of the show. It isn't really technically impossible, but it runs afoul of copyright laws.
omghi2u

omghi2u

Maybe I wasn't paying attention to times. All I know is while I'm watching something in buffer I often have problems recording whatever I'm currently watching and in cases where I have an upcoming recording, I lose everything when that starts. Seems this would be a bug.

I'm curious if the Tivo buffers on more than one channel since it has four tuners? It would be cool to know what channels are being buffered if I'm flipping back and forth.

Tivochris
@heitmanfinancial.de

Tivochris

Anon

I have been a tivo user for 12 years, and it has always been this way from what I can remember. Specifically, if you are watching something in the buffer and you want to record it, if "real-time" has crossed over into the next show, when you hit record, it will assume you are trying to record the new show and not whatever show you have in the buffer. Once that recording starts, you instantly lose everything in the buffer. Very annoying!

Also, if you are watching in the buffer and the Tivo needs to take that tuner to record something that is on next, you can keep watching that buffered show until one of two things happens: 1. you reach the end of whatever was buffered or 2. you change tuners or change channels on the existing tuner. Otherwise, if you have it paused in the buffer, it should stay there indefinitely.
omghi2u

omghi2u

said by Tivochris :

I have been a tivo user for 12 years, and it has always been this way from what I can remember. Specifically, if you are watching something in the buffer and you want to record it, if "real-time" has crossed over into the next show, when you hit record, it will assume you are trying to record the new show and not whatever show you have in the buffer. Once that recording starts, you instantly lose everything in the buffer. Very annoying!

Also, if you are watching in the buffer and the Tivo needs to take that tuner to record something that is on next, you can keep watching that buffered show until one of two things happens: 1. you reach the end of whatever was buffered or 2. you change tuners or change channels on the existing tuner. Otherwise, if you have it paused in the buffer, it should stay there indefinitely.

I had three of the four tuners available (The Tivo was only using one turner to record) when I lost the show I was watching in buffer.

Pacomartin
Bethlehem, PA

1 edit

Pacomartin to omghi2u

to omghi2u

It seems as if you most of this effort spent on buffers is pointless. If you are watching a show and you find it interesting then simply record it. It takes very little effort to delete it if you decide you are not really that interested.
omghi2u

omghi2u

Re: [TiVo] Quad Bug - Lose show watching live- New York, NY

I'm still very annoyed by this. An example from tonight: started watching a two hour segment at 8pm, decided five minutes in I wanted to record it so I did, and when 10pm hit (I was at 1:45) the live TV came on. Zero tuners in use recording anything else. I had to go retrieve the recording and fast forward to where I was.