how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Isthislegi

@sbcglobal.net

1 recommendation

"At&t Mail Update"

I received an email that stated, “Your Classic version of Sbcglobal Yahoo Mail is closing. You need to upgrade now.” There is then a link to click on in order to upgrade.
Is any way you can tell me whether the email is legitimately from you? The send sender’s address is weighing@sbcglobal.net. \\

I have pasted the entire email below:
Your Classic version of Sbcglobal Yahoo! Mail is closing.
You need to upgrade now

Hello,

The Classic version of Sbcglobal Yahoo! Mail will be replaced by our new version on 3 June 2013. So it's time to upgrade, before you lose your email access.

When you upgrade your Sbcgloba Yahoo! Mail
Your email service won't be affected and you'll keep all your old contacts, folders and messages. Plus you'll get:

• faster email
• the latest spam protection
• unlimited email storage.
How you upgrade
Click on the link below and follow the instructions. You'll also need to agree to some new terms and conditions.

steveatl

join:2007-07-06
Decatur, GA

The sender address is easily spoofed and looks suspect anyway. The "upgrades" currently being done required no action on the user's part and no clicking of links. You will be informed of any changes when you logon to webmail.
Phishing spammers are trying to take advantage of the confusion with emails like the one you describe. I have gotten several myself.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Isthislegi

Re: "At&t Mail Update"

That email looks very suspicious. I have three "upgrade" notices; dated May 8, May 15, and June 5, all 2013. The subject lines are:

• "att.net Mail is upgrading: What it means for you."
• "Important reminder: att.net Mail is upgrading."
• "Final notice: att.net Mail is upgrading."

These same three notices are in my Primary Account, and each of ten sub accounts. The content of each is substantially identical. The "Return Path:" for each is a 'yahoo.com' email address; the "From:" is a 'yahoo-inc.com' email address. The body greeting is not a mere, "Hello". I used different names with each account, and the greeting reflects that name: "Dear %Proper Name%,". Here is the body:

Dear NormanS,

We're making improvements to att.net Mail!

On or after June 10, 2013, through July 2013 all users of att.net Mail will be prompted to upgrade their att.net Mail accounts. You'll see some exciting changes in att.net webmail that include a new look and feel that makes att.net webmail even easier to use. Once your account is upgraded, the webmail version you're currently using will no longer be available.

What you can look forward to:

Faster email
The latest Mail spam-protection technology and scanning for relevant advertising display
Easier-to-use design

Important Notes:

On the day of the att.net webmail upgrade, you will be able to choose to customize the email scanning settings for your account.
There is no impact to your email IDs, saved messages, webmail folders, passwords, email client settings, or service, based on this upgrade.
To learn more about the new att.net Mail visit hxxp://www.att.com/latestmail

We hope you enjoy the new att.net Mail.

Sincerely,
AT&T Internet Services Customer Care

Although I mangled the link, I did check it out, and it offers no action to take, just information and informative video.

The actual upgrade is accomplished during log in. You are presented with a captive page, and you can't proceed before clicking on some changes.

The change action page.

The advertising option button.

You might want to click on the "Manage Advertising" button first. The default is opted in; you might wish to opt out. There is no way to avoid the "upgrade" that I have found.

FWIW, here are the full headers:
X-Apparently-To: ********@pacbell.net via 98.138.213.212; Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:39:39 +0000
Return-Path: <asd_test_405@yahoo.com>
Received-SPF: none (domain of yahoo.com does not designate permitted sender hosts)
X-YMailISG: sBebdscWLDv2GCDTfUd37gzggnAs6ipzPcpHoMcmBLMtHBNr
 jUCQdk8YKsOFfh1CgWO4zFQFFcHVhN4USh8zcMEllme6k4iTM6jI5pzYKLXk
 btw4N4afn0_bxSy2hAouuow3Ij.9O1ZJ.Nb3ftDmQ9afNWEuP0FFOO1QK02Q
 LW1agCe3LSGhmdIMlUNivORr83WkzoI824f6WxiQ5J5YYh8WdCQmAWEmPcXe
 y2BHg0iHW7arVepm0DSBwiA3uXMUvbmlIJ6ZgYJVZlKvBE.SfGi9005vNVi.
 ppvwlcxr9r2RV_a4f0rDm.xfbkUjmu4KF_8CraDRedf2WUQZWPlEnbStRgoG
 Z_OM3YNrwUc__ZZ_vPMolv2zPqWMJhUWyzAq3aLOJCXOMJR9SjfN1vDOf8eT
 3sxp.RgpFXT54LLd46uERW7NtG.bxp86MlsRJH2MsXATZztoMZhh5of86d8T
 713nqJtDEPBXX3eWf_LS1_mdF5Or2fXys_EZc5OIaYWonYmxT7wGXrAdyRjT
 LGO1LwHmzDcBKsijN18RoT2cWvOLG3QfJ_LBx20OoDN2HFRhumosGFI2MIZd
 QZlALn0mCUD9Nl98BFbhgbvh9hYzyVickk5.2FzmHKTiN6S0iRaGBrdIVLiX
 NccHeNhzyIE68h8COeX7DXSOQfkZ5BJZ57xLMkfITcp1f3qaH6NRyrOjrRz0
 sXliOxGAgGv6lAlNnMoNtYeXBy2fxSMmp7zFdkfNSzwwstU7HIU_5GMWl.hY
 OrxefoVAEOoh59KYsQLzKCpW.RhuQGhI6hhyiDkRNZ0NIifHE8OBJlI8Pyyh
 4XfzxI9XWPKpt9NXgCethrN.J6ZBHfFjcHwaS_72w2Sr3HyB86uVfqRv.y90
 46hN0bI30gq8YwuFXULdB_r3qKF585cbLLRmlvVY5NvSGX_MwSdV2SJpNOBH
 rRNv0AGvlvdLKIv0O9NkmQk1M5VtuVgR4.RFojAeehXPz8PYYQVdVY1scq_2
 dMJFlDSSOhCeHQiJCFty092TdilJsmq83g5VWhNGiaxPaUI0N3sBI9pIuNvv
 nhBhllNzRVUDcNPcPotNI2JuaA9HLcjKXmelPK_R9iy599AqsBPCYzuGVaVn
 .qBMzZir5yYg1C.ixqe3mwFm96t0WRwUDQ--
X-Originating-IP: [98.138.91.145]
Authentication-Results: mta1089.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com  from=email.yahoo-inc.com; domainkeys=pass (ok);  from=email.yahoo-inc.com; dkim=pass (ok)
Received: from 207.115.36.41  (EHLO nlpi169.prodigy.net) (207.115.36.41)
  by mta1089.sbc.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 05 Jun 2013 19:39:39 +0000
X-Originating-IP: [98.138.91.145]
Received: from nm15-vm3.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com (nm15-vm3.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com [98.138.91.145])
by nlpi169.prodigy.net (8.14.4 IN/8.14.4) with ESMTP id r55JdbOi019095
for <********@pacbell.net>; Wed, 5 Jun 2013 14:39:38 -0500
Message-Id: <201306051939.r55JdbOi019095@nlpi169.prodigy.net>
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=email.yahoo-inc.com; s=yibm; t=1370461178; bh=SP0v/9LKKWTCSB5xyb4CFofQOigwtMXnxdmnPswH/O8=; h=Received:Received:Date:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:From:To:Subject:Content-Type; b=GRocWDcqNSg0JAT9YeUrpY/oHFrfslLXAJHcJBwkbClL8o2PbN845uGJoQe/lmFFlOWeQAM5K/q/CG0fI1o9tkEXmDaBXlM0VMVKndpdhepyHX8KkGIcwWh0e4qzAMdkSaOvr91ByAsk6kWUqD/9WsT0zfNVzU5JFFfQlkA7O8w=
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=yibm; d=email.yahoo-inc.com;
b=D8rqrSiutwRsLcpCkvUWJMdLQHXBrgm3scpYDp95Qu0t5xGWjzE6DVF9mqXlCtcRGMqbQaJi1mIgmp5e HigNeDa8S5SJ1BdHg6ST/ACyBbIJcbTMXXwroudf1GfY9ww+wyJ+ze0dHOU7HChvG+QmFdeM9rxrMnR4k2ODCgxpM1w=;
Received: from [98.138.90.51] by nm15.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05 Jun 2013 19:39:36 -0000
Received: from [98.138.101.152] by tm4.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05 Jun 2013 19:39:36 -0000
Date: 05 Jun 2013 19:39:36 +0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by ymma-col17.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 05 Jun 2013 19:39:36 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ydirect
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 1370461175-7243-1501
To: ********@pacbell.net
Subject: Final notice: att.net Mail is upgrading.
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Content-Length: 3697

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to Isthislegi

You going to get slammed to uverse would be my guess,back door approach.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

More likely a "phish". The unknown link is likely going to request username+password as part of the "upgrade" procedure. The phisher is taking advantage of the announced upgrade which actually happens during account login. The letter refers to the, "Classic version of Sbcglobal Yahoo Mail", not to the ADSL service. But the service was never officially called, "Sbcglobal Yahoo Mail". When it was first established, it was called, "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service".
--
Norman

steveatl

Decatur, GA

said by NormanS:

More likely a "phish". The unknown link is likely going to request username+password as part of the "upgrade" procedure. The phisher is taking advantage of the announced upgrade which actually happens during account login. The letter refers to the, "Classic version of Sbcglobal Yahoo Mail", not to the ADSL service. But the service was never officially called, "Sbcglobal Yahoo Mail". When it was first established, it was called, "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service".

Yep.
BTW, tigerpaw, has nothing to do with U-Verse. Obvious phishing.

steveatl

Decatur, GA
reply to Isthislegi

Beware. They're still out there. I just received a "Important reminder: att.net Mail is upgrading" piece of phishing spam signed by the famous Jennifer Van Buskirk. It was sent through aol.com and actually has an aol.com sender address, like anyone would believe that AT&T would use an AOL address. The originating IP was in Singapore and the link was the same ISP (main-hosting) that all the others have been. I guess folks must still be responding or they wouldn't keep sending them out.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Isthislegi

apparently it's easy to set up a phish...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdB0pHktGPU

steveatl

Decatur, GA
reply to Isthislegi

Just got another phish. The one subject "More Helpful Information Chosen Just for You To Upgrade Your Account." originating in South Africa with a link going to the same main-hosting.com website. It even included a nice pic of a happy couple looking at the their email
Those who are still curious about legitimacy should first look at the return address - it sure shouldn't be an AOL address and then look at where the clickon link goes.
The real upgrade does not require the end user to do anything, much less click on a link. The transition will take place the next time you log onto Webmail after the change has been made.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by steveatl:

The real upgrade does not require the end user to do anything, much less click on a link. The transition will take place the next time you log onto Webmail after the change has been made.

This bears repeating. The "upgrade", if it hasn't happened already, will be presented during web mail log in. There is no requirement to provide any personal details; they got those when you set up the account in the first place. You just choose your "marketing preferences" (default is "Opt In"), and go.
--
Norman

burris
Premium
join:2000-08-22
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by NormanS:

said by steveatl:

This bears repeating. The "upgrade", if it hasn't happened already, will be presented during web mail log in. There is no requirement to provide any personal details; they got those when you set up the account in the first place. You just choose your "marketing preferences" (default is "Opt In"), and go.

And be aware of the statement that once you update, you can't go home again..

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by burris:

The problem is, you can't decline the "upgrade".
--
Norman

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

said by NormanS:

said by burris:

The problem is, you can't decline the "upgrade".

That's right...As I told them in a survey they sent, the new Yahoo email merger produced a pretty bad program. I think it stinks. The original Yahoo email that I've had since inception is not too bad, however, since I'm grandfathered in because I'm before their cut off date for using my own client, I'm OK for now.
If further down the road they insist we use only their new program, I'm out of here....if at the time there's anywhere else to go.
You know how monopolies work...

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by burris:

That's right...As I told them in a survey they sent, the new Yahoo email merger produced a pretty bad program. I think it stinks. The original Yahoo email that I've had since inception is not too bad, however, since I'm grandfathered in because I'm before their cut off date for using my own client, I'm OK for now.
If further down the road they insist we use only their new program, I'm out of here....if at the time there's anywhere else to go.
You know how monopolies work...

I am not sure I understand. When SBC first introduced their "Strategic Partnership" with Yahoo! in 2002, "merger" was an optional component of "migration". Even "migration" was optional for legacy accounts. Only new account signups in the 'sbcglobal.net' domain were mandatory for "SBC Yahoo! DSL Service".

In December, 2002, I finally bit the bullet and migrated my legacy 'pacbell.net' email to Yahoo!. I chose not to merge the Primary Pacbell account with an existing Yahoo! Mail account; but I did merge the sub accounts. I have always been able to use my own client; even now, after leaving AT&T service and converting the ISP accounts to Yahoo! Mail free accounts. I did not lose the legacy 'pacbell.net', either.

I also signed up a couple of new, free Yahoo! Mail accounts in the 'att.net' domain; one does not need to be an active AT&T customer for that.

These latest changes are driven by Yahoo!, and affect all Yahoo! Mail accounts, not just the partnered ISP accounts. Last I checked, there was no "cutoff" date for using clients. At this time, any Yahoo! Mail account has POP3/SMTP client access; and even IMAP client access.
--
Norman

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing..

I was able to retain my Thunderbird client based on the following information....

==============

All att.net Mail users will be moved to our updated webmail platform, free of charge. The update will take place over several weeks, with all customers being moved to the updated webmail platform by mid July 2013. Once your account has been updated to the new platform, you'll see the new changes upon logging in to your webmail account. To help get to your email a little faster, we've removed the "What's New" page so you'll now be taken directly to your inbox.
Important Note

You will not have the option to switch back to another version of att.net Mail once your account has been moved to the updated webmail platform.

If you created a free att.net email address after June 11th, 2011 you will not be able to use an email client to access your email. Retrieve your email at »www.att.net.

You'll need to know the current AT&T email server settings, shown in the table below, for setting up an email client for AT&T email. You are only able to use an email client if you created a free att.net account before June 11th, 2011.

============

This upgrade took me to the new Yahoo/ATT mail program.

I still have the original, uncluttered, plain vanilla free Yahoo mail I've had since inception. I go to my Yahoo home page...it has a mail access...and it takes me to my old Yahoo mail program that has no relation to the new partnered ATT/Yahoo webmail. Since I hardly use it, I never bothered to run it in my Thunderbird client.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by burris:

I wonder if we are talking about the same thing..

I still have the original, uncluttered, plain vanilla free Yahoo mail I've had since inception. I go to my Yahoo home page...it has a mail access...and it takes me to my old Yahoo mail program that has no relation to the new partnered ATT/Yahoo webmail. Since I hardly use it, I never bothered to run it in my Thunderbird client.

I vaguely remember something about a Yahoo! Mail desktop client, but I never installed it.

Which is which?

Of the above, one was once merged with an SBC (Pacbell) account, but later unmerged, one was a merged account right up until I quit AT&T, and one was never merged at all. Can you tell them apart?
--
Norman

burris
Premium
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·VOIPO

Interesting....My original Yahoo mail is identical to the first one even in color..and the new merged ATT is like the third one down

The new one has more apps built in and those not grandfathered in can't use their existing client.

Also, I have one login for my original Yahoo mail and a different one for the merged AT&T mail. It won't allow me to have access to both at the same time, and I get the new ATT.net or the old Yahoo.com depending upon login.

As I said, although I had the free Yahoo email, I seldom used it and preferred my own client.
I remember that the Yahoo mail was a honeypot for spammers and as I take a look now, it hasn't changed...hundreds of spams each day and I seldom use that mail...but they always seemed to do a pretty good job of recognizing them and putting them in the spam folder.

The beat goes on....

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by burris:

Interesting....My original Yahoo mail is identical to the first one even in color..and the new merged ATT is like the third one down

Here is a view of the same accounts in Windows Live Mail:

AT&T-Y! accounts in a desktop client.

Dark blue, since 1999: Was merged with a 'pacbell.net' sub account on 12/18/2002. I "unmerged" it later, and deleted the associated sub account due to spam. It has since reverted to the original free Web mail status.

Light blue, since 200x: Was created as a sub account, to replace the one deleted above; probably around 2005. Current status: Free Web mail account.

Purple, since 200x: A wholly free Yahoo! account; never associated with SBC/AT&T. Probably created in 2005.

All have been set up as IMAP in Windows Live Mail for this example.

The new one has more apps built in and those not grandfathered in can't use their existing client.

I have not shown my newest account in the 'att.net' domain. Created on 10/26/2011 (well after June 11!) it has IMAP/SMTP access, and otherwise looks similar to the third ('pacbell.net') account. It was never associated with an active AT&T DSL, U-verse, or Wireless telephone service.

Also, I have one login for my original Yahoo mail and a different one for the merged AT&T mail. It won't allow me to have access to both at the same time, and I get the new ATT.net or the old Yahoo.com depending upon login.

That is because of session cookies. One account log in at a time per browser. If you have three different browsers, you should be able to log in to three separate Yahoo! accounts.
--
Norman