spc
Search similar:

uniqs
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

RT-AC66U + RT-N66U users plz help

ok so i have a d link dir 655, rev b and it works great for me i simply am upgrading for better wifi signal so i figured it would be a bit silly to get the d link dir 868l even tho that would be my only other choice, its cheaper, and i would much prefer to stay with d link, however im about ready to take the plunge and try the asus.

There is one thing that is driving me crazy though and that is asus lack of support for something as simple as d links shareport app, when u use shareport, it treats the drive as if it were directly plugged into usb, it doesnt see it on the network ect, this is EXACTLY what i NEED and want, my current setup i use a 500gb drive connected to my computer through the shareport app, when i download something, it goes straight to that drive as if it were connected to my computer, then i go onto my jailbroken apple tv, and i use the app infuse to access files on my pc (IT DOES NOT ACCESS NETWORK DRIVES, ITS ACCESES PC's AND DRIVES ATTACHED TO A PC) and i watch videos though the apple tv over wifi, also i use this drive for my itunes so that anywhere in my house i have access to it without bringing this drive around

considering the asus has 2 usb ports and all these stupid unnecessary features it would be pretty dumb if the asus couldnt do exactly what the d link can, but out of all the usb options, out of all the tutorials, i cant find anyone that has anything close to a setup like this , and all the complicated stuff they put in looks really frustrating, so im really confused why everyone complains about shareport app considering its one of the best features ive ever used on any router

edit: when i go to my apple tv to add new shares, it accepts nfs, or smb, not dlna, tho if i could hookup directly to the drive with no pc that would be ideal i guess that way i could turn of my pc and still watch stuff on apple tv, but also i have my itunes on this shared drive so i think it needs to be connected through my pc as a regular drive

so PLZ if anyone can simply let me know that is it possible to have a drive connected through the asus routers pop up on the computer as a drive on the computer and NOT AS A NETWORK DRIVE, plz tell me how, and show some pictures if u can, i want the asus but i will have to go with the d link if i cant keep my very convenient NAS media streaming setup

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS

Well over the weekend I got me a new USB drive and plugged it into my RT-AC66R my desktop computer connected wireless via a bridge immediately recognized a new samba server device was available. No third party app needed. All I had to do was map it to a drive.

The cloud service / mobile Android app is a bit limited. Perhaps I just need to work with it a bit.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

how did your computer recognize it? can you make it pop up in your disk drives beside a normal hard drive?

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX

PamelaTS

As soon as I turned on "Smart Access" the RT-AC66R's AiCloud settings it popped up and a Network attached device, open "My Network Places" and map the drive!

Fraoch
join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
SmartRG SR808ac
TP-Link EAP225
Grandstream HT502

Fraoch to 18286719

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

so PLZ if anyone can simply let me know that is it possible to have a drive connected through the asus routers pop up on the computer as a drive on the computer and NOT AS A NETWORK DRIVE, plz tell me how, and show some pictures if u can, i want the asus but i will have to go with the d link if i cant keep my very convenient NAS media streaming setup

You can always have a network drive connect like a regular lettered drive (i.e. "F:/"), all you have to do is select "Map Network Drive" and map it to a drive letter. You can have it reconnect the drive on startup and it will behave like a regular drive attached to your computer. It doesn't even matter what the drive is formatted as, as long as Windows can read the drive through a recognized file sharing protocol you're good to go.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· rk-drive

All you have to do is figure out how the drive looks in \\server\share. In my case I just use the IP address of the server and the share name and it works fine.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to 18286719

MVM

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

how did your computer recognize it? can you make it pop up in your disk drives beside a normal hard drive?

I think people are missing the issue of how the drive is listed in Windows Explorer, and how Infuse (the FireCore app?) accesses disks. Consider my map; there are three locations:

• Hard Disk Drives
• Devices with Removable Storage
• Network Location

Map from my laptop.

If I am understanding your issue, Infuse can't read files from the Network Location? If so, I don't know how to replicate the D-Link Shareport feature.

FWIW, Shareport was flaky on my DIR-655 Rev.A2 router.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

Click for full size
ya i think Norman gets it, here is what my drives look like, i get the asus to start playing with it on tues or weds

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

If that doesn't work, you may want to look into your file sharing options and group policy settings.
You have your files set as shared(two little guys with blue and green shirt icon), which is some what redundant for a network drive, and possibly problematic. Kind of like having a wireless printer, but then installing that printer on one computer and then sharing with another computer. You search for printers and your computer might get confused which one you want.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

yes but thats exactly it ,the way the apple tv works it needs it to be attached to a computer in order to find the drive, unless when i get it the drive on the asus magically pops up, thats the thing the way the apple tv works is looking through drives that r shared through a computer, i have manually turned on sharing on all my drives

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

Please forgive my ignorance, since I have no actual experience in the matter, but cant Apple TV work via Airplay compatible devices? IE Apple's Time Capsules?

Even if it doesn't cant you map a drive As a local drive and then share THAT via the computer? I know this works with printers. I remember I once had a Wireless printer that wasn't compatible with Windows XP but I didn't want to make the printer local for the entire network, so I set it up on the WLAN as a network printer, then shared that network printer from my Windows 7 machine to my XP. That way all the other Windows 7 machines could access the printer wireless, and if I wanted to use the XP to print, I would have to make sure the Windows 7 machine I had the XP sharing from was online.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

1 edit

18286719 (banned)

ok so i was able to get the drive connected to my computer in the network locations tab like other users, however as i feared the apple tv doesnt detect it like this, if i connect directly to the drive or the device titled rt-ac66u in the list of devices to connect to on apple tv the connection works but it shows no files in the folder and i dont know where i would drag them into there from or if i even can... any suggestions here would be appreciated as i kinda need to figure this out. and same thing on my xbox i go to the system video player and it shows rt-ac66u, but an empty folder even though its not, how do i get stuff in there

is shareport really the only app in the world that can do this for me, looks like i got me a 1 of a kind setup....

RFGuy_KCCO
join:2001-11-12
Niles, MI
Netgear CM2000
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AX86

RFGuy_KCCO

Did you map the drive to a local drive letter? If it is only showing up in Explorer under "Network", you have not. Once you map it to a drive letter, the drive will show up in Explorer as a "Local Disk" under "Hard Disk Drives". I think that should work for you as you would like, as others have stated above.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

How does one "map a drive to a local drive letter"? If I choose the "Map network drive" option in Windows Explorer:

Selecting drives to map.

The mapped drives always show up in "Network Location":

Mapped drives after selection.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

i had it mapped to a letter exactly like norman s does, it worked with my itunes except for it was horrible compared to shareport, im now back on my d link and debating returning this router, cause other people say it works 200 ft away, i go 30ft from the router and even on the 2.4 band it is shit, i should really show a picture its like 2 small walls to outside on my deck and it canteven connect, it has maybe 10-20% better coverage then the dir-655 i had if anything

and i believe being able to map drives as local drives makes much more sense, fairly certain its impossible in my case, thats a massive +1 to d-link for me

RFGuy_KCCO
join:2001-11-12
Niles, MI

RFGuy_KCCO to NormanS

to NormanS
You are correct, NormanS. Sorry about the false info. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Doh!

Happy
@shawcable.net

Happy to 18286719

Anon

to 18286719
said by 18286719:

if i connect directly to the drive or the device titled rt-ac66u in the list of devices to connect to on apple tv the connection works but it shows no files in the folder and i dont know where i would drag them into there from or if i even can...

If you see no files in the folder you most likely are connected to the share with a guest account.

I do not have an apple tv but i have a RT-66U with a USB share and a mac mini. On the mac mini if I connect to the share I get a choice of connecting as a guest or the share user account/password. If I connect using the guest account I get exactly the behaviour you described. If I use the share account everything shows up.
The share account/password is the default router password admin:admin unless you have set it to something else (you really should). I don't know if the apple tv gives you a login choice.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

you are my hero, end of story, you have no idea how happy i am right now, i pretty much just yelled YES at the top of my lungs, THANK YOU