how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

eviljafar

join:2007-04-10
Montreal, QC

[Asterisk] Setting up voicemail with FreePBX

I'm trying to set up voicemail with FreePBX 2.11, and not succeeding. I found the voicemail settings in the GUI under Applications > Extensions and made changes there. I looked but didn't find anything under Settings > Voicemail Admin that looked like I should change.

I then dialed in from the extension and recorded greetings. I am using Callcentric as my inbound trunk so I logged into the customer portal and set voicemail to answer after 60 seconds, which is the maximum I can choose, and I don't see a disable option.

When I place a test call it doesn't go to voicemail, instead I hear a 3 tone response a couple of times.

I googled for a while but didn't come up with an answer. All useful sounding posts suggested I edit config files, but when I open those files FreePBX has comments at the start telling me not to edit them, and that I should change settings through the GUI.

Can someone point me in the direction of something like a dummy's guide to FreePBX voicemail?

Thanks.

SCADAGeo

join:2012-11-08
N California
kudos:2

said by eviljafar:

set voicemail to answer after 60 seconds, which is the maximum I can choose, and I don't see a disable option.

Voice mail can be removed from the CallCentric account, but I like to keep it active because it can serve as an indicator of my PBX's health.

CallCentric voice mail is configured to e-mailed the VM, so if I receive an e-mailed CallCentric voice mail, I know there is an issue with my PBX.

said by eviljafar:

When I place a test call it doesn't go to voicemail, instead I hear a 3 tone response a couple of times.

You didn't mention which distribution of Asterisk/FreePBX that you're using, but you may be hearing the ss-noservice Special Information Tone (SIT) played by the PBX.

This is a defensive measure in case a call comes in via an unknown or unconfigured route.

CallCentric's calls may come from a number of IPs, so I found this post regarding multiple CallCentric DIDs to be helpful when I was troubleshooting my initial setup.

said by eviljafar:

All useful sounding posts suggested I edit config files, but when I open those files FreePBX has comments at the start telling me not to edit them, and that I should change settings through the GUI.

My preference is to copy the code (context/function) that I want to modify into "extensions_override_freepbx.conf".

This has two main purposes: future proofing (updating to latest version of freepbx doesn't wipe out your code), and easy reversion/debugging.

said by eviljafar:

Can someone point me in the direction of something like a dummy's guide to FreePBX voicemail?

You may find this useful: O'Reilly OPFS: Asterisk: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
reply to eviljafar

Along with the above, make sure that your inbound route is your 1777XXXXXXX number and not your DID.

eviljafar

Montreal, QC
reply to SCADAGeo

Thanks for your reply, in the end it was a code 18 error :$

I don't think it's going to work out for me though as I often use voice mail to email and I have since found out that my ISP blocks outbound port 25 and I don't have access to a mail server elsewhere.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

Look through this article : »pbxinaflash.com/community/index.···ail.974/

You can use an email relay

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to eviljafar

said by eviljafar:

Thanks for your reply, in the end it was a code 18 error :$

Result code 18 is AST_CAUSE_NO_USER_RESPONSE (no answer / time out), and the dial plan (context/function) determines the SIT that is played.

said by eviljafar:

I don't think it's going to work out for me though as I often use voice mail to email and I have since found out that my ISP blocks outbound port 25 and I don't have access to a mail server elsewhere.

said by Trimline:

Look through this article : »pbxinaflash.com/community/index.···ail.974/

You can use an email relay

It's a common obstacle, and there is a lot of good information in the link Trimline See Profile provided.

eviljafar

Montreal, QC

said by SCADAGeo:

Result code 18 is AST_CAUSE_NO_USER_RESPONSE (no answer / time out), and the dial plan (context/function) determines the SIT that is played.

Oh sorry to make you look that up, I was joking, code 18 is a slang term meaning the problem is 18 inches from the screen, ie the problem was me.

eviljafar

Montreal, QC
reply to Trimline

Thanks, I'll check it out.

SCADAGeo

N California
reply to eviljafar

said by eviljafar:

I was joking