uniqs

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Want to join START got a few questions.

Ok so I want unlimited and the 10 upload so far as I can tell the price for 25/10 would be $69.95 plus tax right? Now I will just go ahead and buy my own modem in case I switch to tek or ever want to go back to rogers I can get the Thomson DCM475 as it seems to work on everyone.

Ok so far as I know I don't have to pay a transfer fee being as I'm with rogers right now and I would have to give them 30 days and would of course have start hooked up before rogers was turned off. So I would face no cost for the hook-up as far as I know. On the whole network management it only kicks in if the network is overloaded. Now far as I know start has yet to say what your speeds may drop too at this time.

Now on my rogers I've never had speed issues as being as the I live in a small area so there is a good shot the network management won't even affect me. So am I missing anything?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

first off here's the DSLR Start forum which might be better for Start questions in the future:

»Start.ca

Start doesn't charge a transfer fee when you're coming from Rogers or a TPIA and provide the proper cancelation from Rogers.

For the prioritization, it doesn't go by your node but by Start's total capacity to Rogers and right now Start doesn't have any capacity issues with Rogers but if it did it would likely mean at absolute peak time you'd simply get a lower priority.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Thanks was thinking they did but did not see the forum.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

On the pricing, for 25/10 unlimited would be $59.95/mo plus taxes (not the $69.95), ie $39.95 + $10 unlimited + $10 upload. The rest of the information jmck is 100% on. Thanks and have a great day.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

sweetness was looking at the wrong column for the price. will call rogers tomorrow to give them my 30 days.
TOPDAWG

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

ok not a good sign tried to call start and just was on hold both times. So far as I know I don't need to talk to start first I just need to call rogers give my 30 days and get my cancellation number then call start with that and tell them a date I want for my install right?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

that's right, you just need to fill in the information into the signup form with your cancel date from Rogers and they'll call you back to confirm.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

thanks boss I'll call rogers in the morning then.

CANADIANSOUP
join:2011-06-27
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

CANADIANSOUP to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
I'm currently with Rogers.. Bell is not available in my area, according to their wbsite
Postal code L5N 2J2

According to Bell FTTN is not available

According to Start and Tekk it's available... confused.
I believe my CO is in streetsville, not far actually but may have billions of miles of wire from my house to the CO.
whcih mean FTTN is useless right?

latency is importance, I want my ping times to be as small as possible..
With Rogers, I pull host when gaming but not often.. I play better when I pull host.
i'm a 44 year old gamer lol....

I want more thaN 3 upload but don't want to pay what Rogers is offering.

30/10 is what I'm looking for for a resonable price or somewhat close to that.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Stay on Cable - just switch providers.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

agree with deve stay with cable much more simple.
TOPDAWG

2 edits

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

ok all signed up I'll just rent a modem for 5 bucks a month. I hope the useage policy does not effect me too bad. will start give me a call to go over everything? I never put in my cancellation number just asked for the date. I take it that is the date my rogers service ends.

Will rogers even bother to come to my house or is everything changed over behind the scenes?
vincom
join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON

vincom

said by TOPDAWG:

ok all signed up I'll just rent a modem for 5 bucks a month. I hope the useage policy does not effect me too bad. will start give me a call to go over everything? I never put in my cancellation number just asked for the date. I take it that is the date my rogers service ends.

Will rogers even bother to come to my house or is everything changed over behind the scenes?

switching from robbers to a iisp doesn't require a tech visit

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

If it's a transfer that you're doing, then a visit isn't required anymore. But Start will call you once Rogers confirms the order (or if there's an issue and it's held up). I'm pretty sure there's no provisioning done on the weekends and it takes a few days for Rogers to confirm orders.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

ah thanks bud. ok cool I'll be all busy all weekend so they should call tuesday then. So looking forward to that upload.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it might be best to ask in the Start forum too or simply email them if you're concerned about anything. I think Start Laurie on DSLR handles the provisions or at least provides updates to those that ask. Of course rocca is always there too and can grab any updates from their system or get things pushed if anything every drops.

»Start.ca

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

true did not know they had a forum on here. Can a mod move this over there?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by TOPDAWG:

true did not know they had a forum on here. Can a mod move this over there?

Start just got an official DSLR Canadian forum yesterday, previously it was rather hard to find.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Alright looks like everything is up and running. going to love me this upload.