Search similar:

uniqs

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to bvierra

to bvierra

Re: [Internet] IPv6 just appeared on my connection

IPv6 is now showing a 0/10 and I did not do a darn thing. It just decides to work then not work. I guess they are still testing it and having Earthlink Cable might have to do with it. I don't care anymore anyway.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

There will come a day when some interesting "hole-in-the-wall" site in some remote corner of the world won't have an IPv4 IP address. Should I just pretend it doesn't exist because it is not present on the IPv4 Internet?

Yes. Next question.

(Catch-22: if you don't have IPv6, how will you know it exists?)
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

A modern OS with the capability to have IPv6 support can resolve host names to an IPv6 address. You just wouldn't be able to connect to the remote host. So you can see if a host name has only a AAAA record as opposed to just an A record or both.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to cramer

MVM

to cramer
said by cramer:

(Catch-22: if you don't have IPv6, how will you know it exists?)

Same way I found out about a number of Japanese, and other FEA, sites; somebody who was there before me published its existence.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec to bvierra

Premium Member

to bvierra
IPv6 now shows up for me on my connection this morning in TW Northeast division. Not sure when it happened though to be honest as I have not rebooted my modem or anything for quite awhile.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned)

said by swintec:

IPv6 now shows up for me on my connection this morning in TW Northeast division. Not sure when it happened though to be honest as I have not rebooted my modem or anything for quite awhile.

That is good news. Glad to see TWC is making slow but steady progress.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by 34764170:

That is good news. Glad to see TWC is making slow but steady progress.

Meh, not that big of a deal. Id take upstream bonding and more downstream channels bonded over IPv6 to be honest.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by swintec:

Meh, not that big of a deal.

Maybe for you. It is for me.
said by swintec:

Id take upstream bonding and more downstream channels bonded over IPv6 to be honest.

My MSO has been running more downstream channels for ages but it is not really interesting; there is zero necessity to go out and buy a new modem for that. They have been running with upstream bonding for a long time. They have relatively recently been doing work on upstream channels to switch from 16QAM to 64QAM in a lot of areas as well. Without bumps with their upstream speeds I could not care less. It is just to cover what they are providing now which is totally not interesting. They need to move from 3.2MHz to 6.4MHz channels in almost all areas before they will bother doing that.

Andy from CA
Premium Member
join:2008-09-05
Anaheim, CA

Andy from CA to bvierra

Premium Member

to bvierra
Click for full size
IPv6 test on TW Anaheim
This is what I dialed up today, nice.

Anaheim CA w/TW
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
join:2004-03-05
WNY/Niagara

bodosom to bvierra

Premium Member

to bvierra
TWC stopped offering IPv6 to my modem on 1-Nov.
The /128 continued working for several hours.
The are still sending prefix length advertisements.
Curse you Tuiasosopo!

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by bodosom:

TWC stopped offering IPv6 to my modem on 1-Nov.
The /128 continued working for several hours.
The are still sending prefix length advertisements.
Curse you Tuiasosopo!

I had this happen and then I needed to simply reboot everything.

What i find annoying is that all IPv6 traffic seems to just cease for about 20 seconds at a time. Especially if i watch youtube or something. Then after some time it will continue on.
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom

Premium Member

If the DHCP server isn't responding to DHCPv6 solicits rebooting is pointless.
Even knowing that I restarted the modem to no effect.

My gateway isn't some simple-minded home "router". It's a server and doesn 't need to be rebooted to "fix" network problems.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by bodosom:

If the DHCP server isn't responding to DHCPv6 solicits rebooting is pointless.
Even knowing that I restarted the modem to no effect.

My gateway isn't some simple-minded home "router". It's a server and doesn 't need to be rebooted to "fix" network problems.

Geesh sorry you took things so personally.

I was simply stating what happened in my case...IPv6 was no longer active until a restart.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

34764170 (banned) to bodosom

to bodosom
said by bodosom:

No one should have to reboot no matter what piece of equipment they're using, if things are done properly.

Well you have not specified what OS you're running. If you are running Windows rebooting is pretty much the norm all too often to "fix" things; not saying it is right. But that seems to have become the norm in society nowadays due to how buggy software is. IMO it is a sad state of affairs but the only way this can/will improve is if more people are hounding vendors to deal with the bugs no matter where they are.
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec
said by swintec:

Geesh sorry you took things so personally.

I didn't take anything personally.
I was simply stating that what happened in your case was unrelated to my circumstance.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey to bodosom

Premium Member

to bodosom
Actually due to some address rewriting trickery at TWC, rebooting (for standard wifi routers) or restarting the DHCP client can cause the "not responding" DHCP server to start responding again. It has been documented in other threads that TWC's DHCPv4 server completely ignores all unicast traffic and only responds to broadcast queries causing certain clients to "lose" the lease once the timeout expires if they do not switch back to broadcast mode in time.
said by bodosom:

And how were we supposed to know that since you didn't bother telling us in the initial post? Your setup is most definitely not standard or common. FWIW, my D-Link DIR-825 exhibits the same symptoms - the LAN addresses from DHCPv6 PD stop routing while the /128 on the router itself still works fine, but doing anything which causes a services restart in the admin interface brings everything right back.

/M
Emiya
join:2006-03-30
Southington, OH

Emiya to bvierra

to bvierra
OK, I'm stuck trying to configure IPv6 on my network. My gateway is a pfSense 2.1 firewall. I see a /128 on my WAN but cannot get any IPV6 address on the LAN side? If anyone is running pfSense with V6 or familiar with the setup, I would sure appreciate any advice.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

It has been documented in other threads that TWC's DHCPv4 server completely ignores all unicast traffic and only responds to broadcast queries...

They appear to have fixed that serious configuration mistake. At least it's answering renew's here now. As per spec, T1 timeout (RENEW) MUST be done by unicast. T2 timeout (REBIND) is done by broadcast -- basically restarting the DHCP process. T3 timeout... your lease has expired.

(For the record, I made my RENEW's broadcast and it made zero difference. It was still ignored.)
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

And how were we supposed to know that since you didn't bother telling us in the initial post

You're not expected to know that (even though I have mentioned some specifics earlier in this thread) but neither should we make assumptions about someone's networking configuration. A question like "did you restart your DHCPv6 client?" is a bit more neutral.

However even in the post I made on 2-Nov I noted that I'm not getting responses to solicits but continue to see IPv6 prefix announcements (from a cisco MAC address). That suggests I'm not running a typical home "router".

I'm not sure about the "address rewriting". I suppose TWC could have decided to ignore solicits to ff02::1:2 (where WIDE sends them) in preference to ff02::1 or ff02::2 but that's just crazy talk.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by bodosom:

You're not expected to know that (even though I have mentioned some specifics earlier in this thread) but neither should we make assumptions about someone's networking configuration. A question like "did you restart your DHCPv6 client?" is a bit more neutral.

And would promptly get a deer-in-the-headlights response from someone who doesn't really know what they're doing. Some assumptions HAVE to be made when almost no information is given. "Reboot" IS the correct response as someone who actually knows what they're doing knows enough to translate that into whatever action is most appropriate for their non-standard setup.
said by bodosom:

However even in the post I made on 2-Nov I noted that I'm not getting responses to solicits but continue to see IPv6 prefix announcements (from a cisco MAC address). That suggests I'm not running a typical home "router".

First you blast us for making assumptions then complain that we're not making assumptions?? No, it only suggests you're listening in to the traffic between the router and the modem. While you could be using a computer as a router and watching the traffic on the interface, you could also be using a dumb hub or a managed switch (with port mirroring capability) to view the traffic. Even though I'm running a "home" wifi router I picked up a (used) managed switch with port mirroring capability just so I could debug stuff like this.
said by bodosom:

I'm not sure about the "address rewriting"

I was just using that as an example of how TWC's network could be screwed up. Having you restart (either the computer/router or just the appropriate service) narrows down where the problem could be. On my connection, "kicking" the router (what I call any action that results in a services or system restart) brings IPv6 right back should it stop routing, so no, TWC did not turn IPv6 off on Nov 1st.

/M
bodosom
Leger de main
Premium Member
WNY/Niagara
ARRIS SB6183
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
pfSense SG-2220

bodosom

Premium Member

said by mackey:

so no, TWC did not turn IPv6 off on Nov 1st.

I just said I can no longer get an IPv6 address. IPv6 service has gone from unstable to unresponsive. Since IPv6 is "unannounced" and unsupported in my service area this isn't surprising.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to bvierra

to bvierra
Anyone noticed service available in any additional areas?

Bobz
@rr.com

Bobz

Anon

It's working the Milwaukee area.
mdpeterman
join:2010-10-10
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman to bvierra

to bvierra
Has anyone in central Ohio been able to get an IPv6 address yet? I have not been able to so far.

joejoe
@rr.com

joejoe

Anon

I'm in Central Ohio and I recent started getting IPv6 addresses delegated to my home network. Unfortunately it only seems to work for about 5 minutes after booting the cable modem, after that nothing gets routed beyond my router. I have to reboot the cable modem to get things working again.

Using a Motorola Surfboard SB6121 and an Airport Extreme 5th gen.
mdpeterman
join:2010-10-10
Pflugerville, TX

mdpeterman

I'm using a time capsule 4th gen and I am in Westerville and still no ipv6 address even after rebooting my SBG6580 and time capsule. What are your ipv6 settings in airport utility?

joejoe
@rr.com

joejoe

Anon

With Airport Utility 6.3.2:

Configure IPv6: Automatically
IPv6 Mode: Native
Enable IPv6 Connection Sharing checked on

I have an IPv6 WAN Address, IPv6 Default Route, IPv6 Delegated Prefix, and IPv6 LAN Address.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

to bvierra
I noticed on the TWC page it mentions... "Deployment efforts are well underway throughout upstate New York and soon will be ramping up in the Midwest and Carolinas."

rainlake1
@rr.com

rainlake1 to joejoe

Anon

to joejoe
same here.got ipv6 full functional before Nov. current only get a /128 and works for couple minutes.
live in NE ohio
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

to bvierra
I think with TWC having operational experience running v6 in SoCal, NYC and Texas as well as elsewhere that they will end up rolling out v6 to the rest of their DOCSIS network fairly quickly.