clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Esc

Re: [DSL] MLPPP in Rural Ontario - Sugestions for equipment & Se

I've done 3x 6/1 on an ASUS WL520gu running Tomato/MLPPP 1.27 alpha3-ND-"majorly hacked together" firmware. The CPU was running close to max with full bandwidth, but no complaints. There is a straighforward how-to for setting up the third line somewhere in these forums.

I have 8x 6/1 MLPPP at another location and using Pfsense to route it. With that many interfaces it makes more sense to use a vlan switch to connect all the modems to the router. Pfsense also does multi-WAN multi-LAN, so you can policy route your voip through a dedicated modem if you choose. It also has extensive QoS built in, so you could just do 4xMLPPP and prioritise your voip if you wanted.

If you can get line of sight to a neighbour who has better internet you might also consider setting up a private wireless PtP.
--
db

Esc
Premium
join:2011-01-26
canada
"I've done 3x 6/1 on an ASUS WL520gu running Tomato/MLPPP 1.27 alpha3-ND-"majorly hacked together" firmware. The CPU was running close to max with full bandwidth, but no complaints. There is a straighforward how-to for setting up the third line somewhere in these forums."

A couple of questions:

If I understand that correctly, that modem would be fine with 3x 1.5/640 actual throughput?

You're also saying that you've have more than 3 lines at another location; are those residential or business lines?

I've been looking at pfsense. It would appear to be the best solutions once you go beyond 4 lines. I'll probably stick with the tomato options while I get up to speed on pfsense and then have the tomato option for backup, in case I run into problems.

Unfortunaly, all my neighbours suffer with the exact same service.

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
All of my installs were residential Alberta. Telus has never given me a problem about installing copious amounts of copper.

The CPU in the WL-520gu is clocked slightly higher than the Linksys, but I can't imagine you'll have a problem with 3x1.5/640 unless you're trying to do vpn.

Pfsense is a great option but for less than 4 lines I would recommend sticking with Tomato if it has the features you need. Unfortunately it hasn't been updated for any newer hardware.

If I were you I would try a thorough reset on the Linksys to see if that clears up the problems you've been having. If not, the WL-520gu is the fastest hardware to my knowledge that will do Tomato/MLPPP. If you get one, be sure to only flash it with the -ND Tomato variants.
--
db

Esc
Premium
join:2011-01-26
canada
I don't think I would have a problem with 3 lines here; 2 active lines and another one available at the NID. Guspaz mentioned that Bell might not run another wire to the house, so I might be limited to 3... time will tell.

No plans for vpn right now, just qos for voip if I bond all the lines. I'd like to get voip running 100%, so I'm considering keeping one dsl line just for voip.. of course that would be overkill if I can get qos working properly.

I've done both quick and thorough resets on the linksys and the problem persists. It's something that has just cropped up past few weeks though, so it could be related to intermittent service being experienced due to storms etc.. only way to tell for sure is to buy a new modem.

I might pick up a WL-520gu and see.. if nothing else it will be a backup.