uniqs
share rss forum feed

bbbc

join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica
kudos:2
Reviews:
·FreedomPop

10K from CO: Sonic or U-verse with POTS for alarm?

A friend of mine in the heart of San Francisco has a crappy 768K profile with AT&T because of their 10K' distance from the CO. They have POTS for an alarm system. U-verse was just rolled out in their neighborhood. AT&T's bundled pricing for Internet and television seems good, but I don't trust what it will be after the initial term and they don't offer a bundled price with POTS. Sonic's $40 bundle is great, but the damn modem rental fee sucks. Beyond all of this, my friend is giving Comcast $83 for basic cable. A bit torn on what to do, other than the fact I want my friend to have reliable Internet (with good customer service) where they can use a Roku to stream Netflix. Any advice would be appreciated.

--
Consumerist.com | Consumers Union

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
I was on a 9,156 foot loop in west San Jose. AT&T only allowed the 3.0 Mbps service (3008/512). I switched to Sonic.net "Fusion" service in April, 2011. They were still selling the modem back then. The new modem was able to sync at ~5800/590 for 4900/460 speeds.

Here are some plots of speed (y-axis) vs. distance (x-axis):

»New Fusion average speed/distance chart

Even with the modem rental fee, the total cost of phone plus DSL service should be ~half of AT&T the price without promotion. Sonic.net does not offer promotional prices.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

toughchoices

@torservers.net
reply to bbbc
the alarm system may not require a phone line if you choose cellular monitoring, but it will probably cost you more. here are some of your options that allow you to have the alarm system, internet, and tv:

a. cellular monitoring alarm system + cable internet only + netflix
b. cellular monitoring alarm system + cable internet + cable tv
c. sonic.net fusion + alarm system on sonic.net POTS + netflix (but you will not get good quality streaming on a 768k connection)
d. sonic.net fusion + alarm system on sonic.net POTS + cable internet + netflix
e. sonic.net fusion + alarm system on sonic.net POTS + cable internet + cable tv
f. sonic.net fusion + alarm system on sonic.net POTS + satellite service through sonic.net's affiliate directv
f. at&t POTS + alarm on at&t POTS + u-verse bundle
g. at&t POTS + alarm on at&t POTS + cable internet + cable tv
h. at&t POTS + alarm on at&t POTS + cable internet + netflix
i. at&t POTS + alarm on at&t POTS + netflix (poor quality streaming on 768k)

as you can see, cellular monitoring eliminates the need for a phone line completely, which means you can use cable as your internet. if you insist on a phone line, you must either get it through at&t or sonic.net, but sonic.net will charge you a modem rental fee and for internet access that might not be enough for netflix