Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

1 edit
reply to DKS

Re: [DSL] MLPPP in Rural Ontario - Sugestions for equipment & Se

said by DKS:

Much lower monthly fees. I pay $57/mo for my cell phone with all whistles and bells; talk,text and data. No phone lines, no multiple modems and no headaches. Proved technology to the point of almost being plug and play. The phone is a wireless hotspot. I can go anywhere on my property and use it. No, streaming video would be nuts, but there are always trade offs.

Say what now? You pay $57 per month for 1.5 megabit speed and a 6GB cap. OP likely pays $30 for 1.5 megabit speed (possibly a $5 dry loop fee) and a 300GB cap. Please explain how paying more for less saves money...

You're doing a terrible job explaining why the OP should pay twice as much to downgrade from DSL and give up streaming video because of the massive cap reduction.

Esc: I've never used any of Connectify's stuff myself, just throwing options out there. There are also some dual-wan consumer routers that can do the same thing as Dispatch (load balance between multiple lines) without needing any software, but you probably won't find consumer stuff that does more than 2 lines, and it won't help with stuff that needs a single faster connection like Netflix.

That said, Netflix should work fine on a 1.5 Mbps line. You won't do HD, but Netflix has a bunch of different bitrates that it automatically switches between based on available bandwidth. Your connection should be fast enough for the second-highest standard-def bitrates. If you had two-line MLPPP (or other bonding), you'd be able to do somewhere between SD and HD. Three or four line would be enough for 720p HD. Five or six lines for 1080p HD. That gets ridiculously expensive, though.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

He's looking for solutions. I am offering a simple one. He can jump all over technical complications, play around with it all he wants or go simple. Good. Fast Cheap. Choose any TWO. The other thing is that expectations change in rural Ontario. The speeds he has are typical for rural DSL. Folks in urban areas just don't get it. This is a land of a great internet divide, only to be crossed at huge expense. There ARE limitations on rural internet, believe it or not.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Yeah, but you're not offering a solution, because there is no aspect of what you propose that is in any way an improvement over what he already has today. You don't seem to understand that part of the problem. Compared to what he ALREADY has, you propose:

Price: Double ($30 -> $57)
Speed: Same, perhaps (1.5 Mbps)
Latency: Much higher (20ms -> 150ms?)
Cap: Much smaller (300GB -> 6GB)
Investment: Infinitely larger ($0 -> $700)
Complexity: Infinitely higher (Do nothing -> complex install)

How could you consider that a "simple solution"? Your cure is worse than the disease.

Today, the OP has a single 1.5 megabit DSL line with a 300 gig cap. Doing nothing is way simpler than your solution.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!

fxs

join:2011-10-19
l3r
reply to Guspaz

said by Guspaz:

said by DKS:

Much lower monthly fees. I pay $57/mo for my cell phone with all whistles and bells; talk,text and data. No phone lines, no multiple modems and no headaches. Proved technology to the point of almost being plug and play. The phone is a wireless hotspot. I can go anywhere on my property and use it. No, streaming video would be nuts, but there are always trade offs.

Say what now? You pay $57 per month for 1.5 megabit speed and a 6GB cap. OP likely pays $30 for 1.5 megabit speed (possibly a $5 dry loop fee) and a 300GB cap. Please explain how paying more for less saves money...

You're doing a terrible job explaining why the OP should pay twice as much to downgrade from DSL and give up streaming video because of the massive cap reduction.

Stay chill -- he was just offering an alternative and graciously sharing his experience.

And yes, if the OP is also paying for a cell phone plan with data, he would pay less by dropping DSL and maybe his analog based home phone line too. Having said that, this (comparing DSL with/without MLPPP vs Cell Data/booster/hotspot) is apples vs oranges. DSL (if available) wins hands down. Using 3G Cell data is poor substitute to proper broadband internet. I have a Linksys wifi AP/router (cottage "hotspot") with an internet stick connected to a wilson trucker antenna mounted on poll at my cottage located where cell service is OK (about 50ft from the dwelling). Does the job when we're there and it was fun getting it to work. Runs a hacked version of ddwrt. While I sometimes get 2-3MB/s up/down out of it, the latency and cap and general stability is poor compared with DSL. This is a similar "architecture" to DKS but much lower capital cost ( $75).

DKS's solution or other 3G roll your own internet is sensible if you don't have DSL available which is the case for many areas even today, I think. If you have DSL, then cell data (maybe excluding LTE) makes no sense as a full time internet access solution. DKS's setup maybe justified in that it provides better cell coverage indoors for cell calling and backup internet for those times your primary provider is down.